Finished Deus Ex: HR - Thoughts.

Deus Ex - Desk Revolution

Great game. Too many offices.
I felt like I was back playing FEAR at many points.

Also I felt more like a luckless IT person who had to upgrade the AV on 1000s of computers. (Nooo - not more computers!), whilst rummaging for Kit Kats.

Been playing finally, just got to China…

Initial impression #1 is the graphics are really dated for such a FPS-centric game (hurray again for developers having to design for 5 year old hardware/consoles).

Initial impression #2 is harder to articulate. Not only are the different areas very obvious in how they're compartmentalized (ie., sudden road blocks), but the world just feels… sterile. There isn't much tension in the game (so far) aside from the explicit combat missions. Basically, the world design is pretty lacking; I find myself getting bored more often than not but forging ahead for the sake of…

Initial impression #3: the story. The story is done well. I especially like how minor details get tied in with actual current day technology/theory (ie, warming the oceans to combat global warming).

Also I felt more like a luckless IT person who had to upgrade the AV on 1000s of computers. (Nooo - not more computers!), whilst rummaging for Kit Kats.
Yes, waaaay too many hacking mini-games. Have probably spent half my game time hacking 'nodes'.

This may be a bit harsh, but it's how I felt after finishing DE:HR a few days ago…

"Just finished DE:HR last night, impressions(spoilers):

1) Really disliked the XP bonuses for stealth, felt like the game was punishing me for playing it any other way than how the designers intended. If I want to play a bloody murderer I shouldn't be penalized for it. (and no, the 'headshot' bonus is still less than the 'moral' choice). Min/Maxers hate this kind of thing. This is Deus Ex, not Thief 4 (I like thief, but if I want to play thief I'll play goddamn thief)
2) horrible…horrible ending, boring luddite vs. 'the man' decision…DE1 tackled more interesting themes better.
3) cheesy use of name dropping 'the illuminati', 'triads' etc., DE1 did a vastly better job introducing these.
4) hated getting winded while sprinting
5) hacking was lame
6) too few weapon mods and you get them too late in the game
7) found the plasma rifle way too late, got to use it…once at the end
8) Inventory was a pain in the ass…
9) had to eat candy bars to regen energy, instead of the regen mod going past 1 cell :mad:
10) I must have used quickload about 400 times because there's no way to accurately anticipate what the game actors will do. I wouldn't have cared if I didn't lose 30 xp each time! >:O

The best fun I had was when I just said 'fuck it' and slaughtered the entire police force during the riot and sold their weapons to the black market guy. Actually…that was the only fun I had playing this game. :biggrin:

I'm glad they made the game, and I'm glad it was commercially successful so the genre gets more attention, but bleh."

Finished it. I found the first ~1/2 somewhat dull, gameplay-wise. The latter half seemed to have a better flow to it; of course, this could have just been me wanting to rain down furious vengeance after a certain person got killed.

I'm not sure that I would give it a GOTY mention (game world needed work), but the intelligence and thought put into the story certainly makes it a game worth playing.

DeepO said:
Also, this video needs to be posted because it´s pretty awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoFe8hRy42o
…not having followed the press for the game's launch, I think this video's pre-order DLC criticisms help clear up my in-game confusion regarding Tong's son.

Last edited:
O_O You just got to China yesterday, and you finished the game today?

That must have been a serious marathon session.

Hahah, yes. No work today and I was itching to see how it would all wrap up :) It was a worthwhile all-nighter, one of the first for a game in a long long while.

Finally got around to finishing this game(I know, way to late), and while it can hold a touch to the original, I had a good time playing it.

The highlight was defiantly using "take down" over and over, on everyone I meet. >:D

The downside was the lack of NPC story deployment, you are expected to care about Megan, the love of you life, after snooping though her emails and at 2 min walk with her, in the original UNATCO check ins was basically one big character development for the NPCs there, in Deus ex:HR the only one you really care about is Malik.

The enemies share the same lack of background story, if you haven't read the books(and I haven't) all you really see in them is one annoying dude that somehow can survive a rocket in the gut where no one els can.

Really wish there would have been a stealth approves to the boss battles or something els like the kill switch word from the original.

The game suffered from to many cut screens to, but that's a common problem these days.

Despite the flows its worth playing, the Gameplay is almost the same as the original with added bonuses like "take down", the side quest are interesting and have lot of chooses, the dialogue is interesting and very well done and the level design offers a lot of defend ways to complete your goals.

just finished.
Good game really liked the stealth and cover system. I played stealth but lethal mostly headshots with pistol. Played 3/4 of the game with pistol only. couldn't find enough ammo for it in the last 1/4 so had to switch to other guns which was disappointing.

Ai was so so. enemies got stuck sometimes. Killed 3rd boss that way he got stuck and just gittered back and forth shot him until he died. You could kill a whole building of guys by sitting in vents even when they knew you were there.

Boss fights were out of place and to much hacking. Cities felt small and you couldn't just walk around the block to get somewhere you had to go through the sewer, up the fire escape, punch through a wall then go through a vent. Made me feel like I was in small corridors rather than in a big city.

The ending was a bit disappointing in that I felt like I played the whole game for the privileged of picking whatever ending I wanted rather than the some of my choices and actions adding up to an ending.

I know all this sounds negative but i enjoyed the game actually, but mainly because of the combat. I will play it again just to sneak around and headshot guys.

Back
Top Bottom