Game development and assets - legal question

D

DArtagnan

So, I'm developing a game - and I've been using a mixture of my own art, as well as paid assets (well, I haven't used those - but I will).

That said, since I do all my UI art myself - I'm often in need of icons or symbols as I'm not comfortable with my own ability to create those, and I tend to go a bit overboard with them - and I don't actually know exactly how the legality works.

I have a Shutterstock account - and unless I make my own icons, I simply use the ones I find on Shutterstock.

The thing is, though, how does anyone know if I actually have an account there or not? Also, how would they know if I developed the game during an active account period - or afterwards?

They claim it's "license-free" - so what's stopping people from simply "snipping" images (you can do that with the thumbnails as they don't have watermarks) and using them as they wish?

I'm a little confused as to how I can feel comfortable using these assets without later repercussions.

It's going to come down to the specific license services like this provide. With a quick look at the licensing page, it seemed an Enhanced License would be needed, but then I noticed this:

You can use Shutterstock images in computer software, video games, and mobile apps. The Standard and Enhanced Licenses allow for unlimited copies and digital distribution.
And also this:

With the Shutterstock Image licenses, there is no set time frame for using the images after a download. With a Standard Image License, you can store those images for your own use. The Enhanced Image License is necessary if you want to use them as elements of digital templates for sale/distribution. We can also customize plans to allow for sharing content with co-workers on a shared drive, DAM, or cloud.

So, not-a-lawyer and all that, but it looks like what you download as part of your plan is OK to use in games, indefinitely. I'd check with them that the impression they give is correct.

If your game is meant to be public (or stored on a public GitHub/GitLab/...), it seems to depend on the quantity too, see the comparison.

It's definitely not clear since at some place they say the SIL is for personal download only, and elsewhere they say you could distribute them. I think it's mostly based on quantities but I would ask them with the specific usage you have in mind.

The Standard License is designed to work for most creative and usage needs. The Enhanced License offers many more usage rights, allowing you to use images in merchandise, web templates, print templates, and commercial spaces. Please visit our license comparison page for more details.

For most Shutterstock plans, the default option is the Standard License. On-demand image packs, single-use Professional plans, and Team subscriptions include Standard Licenses. Enhanced Licenses can offer more options for large volume customers and organizations. You can get an Enhanced License with customized image packs if you want to use the content for distribution to a large audience or on merchandise.

If you aren't sure which type of plan or license you need for your project, you can work directly with a Shutterstock customer service agent. With Shutterstock's library of royalty-free content and flexible license options, you can take your personal or professional projects to the next level.

Back
Top Bottom