Gaming chair

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I've been contemplating getting a new chair for my desk, and am wondering what everyone has and looking for recommendations?

I currently have a cheap Ikea desk chair we've had for at least 6 years. It's starting to peel and it's far from comfortable. I spend a lot of time at my desk (mainly due to the increase in homeworking since the covid epidemic, but also for gaming of course).
I am looking for something with good lumbar support, so I was looking at chairs with adjustable mechanisms built-in to adjust that. I also don't want it to look overly like a "gaming chair" (so not too "flashy").

I checked out the SecretLab ones (they're a little too pricey imo and reviews aren't unanimously glowing) and the Noblechairs Hero, but I am leaning toward the Razer Iskur (black version) at the moment. Does anyone have any of those?

I am sure there's "plain" office chairs that might be good too, but it's impossible to tell just by browsing online.

I think I have 1-2 years (can't remember exactly) of this overpriced Herman Miller Aeron.
It's solid and I've grown into it (had a little bit of adaptation right at the start).
But I'm not sure it's 1300 euros worth (the import cost quite a bit, since I can't buy it locally).
The only reason I spent that kind of insane money is because I'm basically 8-12h in this chair almost every day.

I read an article online (so take it for what it is worth) that basically said don't go for over-priced gaming chairs. Office chairs are the way to go because companies build office chairs for people who sit 8 hours a day (if not more) for 40+ hours a week. They know the business of sitting and being comfortable a lot more than gaming companies. Of course a company can make both but the point is if you want sitting comfort at the computer look at those made for an office as that is what they are made for.

Yeaaaah... I am not going to go over 500. My wife will kill me if I spend that much on a chair. 😅
I read an article online (so take it for what it is worth) that basically said don't go for over-priced gaming chairs. Office chairs are the way to go because companies build office chairs for people who sit 8 hours a day (if not more) for 40+ hours a week. They know the business of sitting and being comfortable a lot more than gaming companies. Of course a company can make both but the point is if you want sitting comfort at the computer look at those made for an office as that is what they are made for.
Sure, yeah, but there's so many out there, which one do you pick?

I've been contemplating getting a new chair for my desk, and am wondering what everyone has and looking for recommendations?

I currently have a cheap Ikea desk chair we've had for at least 6 years.
I recently bought this one at Ikea for 170 €: https://www.ikea.com/be/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-grey-70261150/

The lumbar support isn't adjustable but I'm pleased with it (I'm prone to back pains).

I had the previous model for years and was very happy with it. One day, the recline mechanism gave up. After comparing many chairs to find a replacement, I finally ordered the new model at the same place. One of my criteria was a high back (nice when I want to sit back and rest my head), which is hard to find.

The only drawback is the fabric material, which makes for plenty of static discharges in winter when the air is dry. ;) I had a (fake?) leather model before and I'd recommend that one instead, but it's not always available.

Last edited:
I use one of the nicer steelcase chairs; i fell in love with them at work and used one for over 20 years before i quit so i know they are reliable. I *think* It is this one but since pandemic it has become outrageously expensive:
https://store.steelcase.com/leap-plus or https://store.steelcase.com/leap
I use Steelcase Leap as well. The “Plus” you linked is for large people. Regular version is around $1000 with cloth. Expensive I guess, but you get what you pay for, and it isn’t worth spending your life in a bad chair.

There’s also a huge market of refurbished Leaps that cost a lot less.

I use Steelcase Leap as well. The “Plus” you linked is for large people. Regular version is around $1000 with cloth. Expensive I guess, but you get what you pay for, and it isn’t worth spending your life in a bad chair.

There’s also a huge market of refurbished Leaps that cost a lot less.
Yea - it must be the regular leap (also without the extra head thing that shoots up); i'm not tiny but definitely not oversized. They have a slightly nicer model for a couple of more I wnat to get - our office started getting them around the time i was leaving and they are noticeably nicer. Just can't remember the model - but i have it in my notes somewhere if i can find it.

They have a slightly nicer model for a couple of more I wnat to get - our office started getting them around the time i was leaving and they are noticeably nicer. Just can't remember the model - but i have it in my notes somewhere if i can find it.
Maybe thinking of the Steelcase Gesture? It's a newer model along the same lines as the Leap: https://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/gesture
I think more people are still loyal to the Leap, though. But if you're getting the headrest option, the Gesture's is much nicer, the Leap's is terrible.

Herman Miller's Embody is the main competitor to the Leap/Gesture: https://store.hermanmiller.com/home-office-chairs/embody-chair/4737.html

These are chairs for people who want fabric or leather chairs, of course. Mesh is a different scene altogether, which I don't pay much attention to myself.

Maybe thinking of the Steelcase Gesture? It's a newer model along the same lines as the Leap: https://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/gesture
I think more people are still loyal to the Leap, though. But if you're getting the headrest option, the Gesture's is much nicer, the Leap's is terrible.

Herman Miller's Embody is the main competitor to the Leap/Gesture: https://store.hermanmiller.com/home-office-chairs/embody-chair/4737.html

These are chairs for people who want fabric or leather chairs, of course. Mesh is a different scene altogether, which I don't pay much attention to myself.
The model i'm thinking of was leather and taller back (not sep head rest); we started getting them around 2014.

I never used a Herman Miller chair i liked but there are many models. We had a few of them and I was offered one to replace my 15 year old leap - tried it for 30 sec and told them i would keep the leap i had.

I use a pro like chair that was offered to me, that is bought from pro only store, but it was probably a bit low quality for its design and finishing.

So the question I wonder sometimes is if despite no back problems I need change/improve because aging is aging.

I have the feeling that it's changing often back position (left/right/center/forward/backward/center/lite rotations) more than rest back or head on some support that is the best. And for sitting, I have now hard time to not use the half-lotus position alternating between left and right, plus some short change for some different position relaxing.

So for sure pro knows better, but how much they care of people past 60 or 70? I suppose there's some medecine covering the topic and I would put more confidence in them than in sellers/designers of pro chairs.

EDIT:
Didn't mentioned but it's my supposed pro chair, in fact somehow broken that ended feel very comfortable and safe for my back. It is fairly good for sitting and offers a support for bottom of back, but past that, because half broken, it offers support only up to half back or a bit higher. But it's this half back support that allows quick extensions to the back that are so cool, and the reduced back support that makes natural smaller extensions to left or right or even positions with some rotation level to right or left.

Last edited:
I've briefly looked into this a year ago. The consensus then was that 5 out of 10 gaming chairs are junk and the remaining 5 are re-branded copies of the others. The vast majority of budget gaming chairs is manufactured by just one company in China, I've read. Then slightly modified, branded and packaged to demand.

So unless you need to look cool, get a well-chosen office chair.

Thanks for the feedback, but a 1k chair is definitely out of the question.
Does anyone have a recommendation that is under $500 and not Ikea? :)
I've briefly looked into this a year ago. The consensus then was that 5 out of 10 gaming chairs are junk and the remaining 5 are re-branded copies of the others. The vast majority of budget gaming chairs is manufactured by just one company in China, I've read. Then slightly modified, branded and packaged to demand.

So unless you need to look cool, get a well-chosen office chair.
What did you end up with then?

Does anyone have a recommendation that is under $500 and not Ikea? :)
I also bought a DXRacer for someone else, who seems very happy about it. The price was 279 €. It was 3 years ago and it's still in good shape.

The model (Formula F11) doesn't exist but the series does, and the price hasn't changed much (300 €, probably a little more with the shipping):

What did you end up with then?
You're not gonna believe this ...

I've used my old office chair until it crashed under me. A bit too long, TBH. It had obviously run its course, so I should have retired it earlier. Then I went back to an old wooden chair from my childhood. 90° angles everywhere, a thin cushion and that's it. Of course I thought I'd use it only temporarily until I've made up my mind about the correct office chair. But I had back problems before, and it turned out using this uncomfortable piece of solid wood helped my back. Probably because I'm both sitting in a better position and standing up more often becaue I'm sitting my arse flat. :greengrin::gorath:

A good source for expensive office chairs for 20-50 cents on the dollar are sites like Ebay / Craig's List / Ebay Kleinanzeigen and auctions when companies go out of business. You can get lucky and loot the manager's 1000$ chair for 300$.

I can't say how serious nor how complete is this article, and quote there's a clear disclaimer that it's no health doctor advises, but:
- sitting in a chair is not an anatomically normal position
- Perhaps the most important part of sitting is the break from sitting. Regardless of how well you maintain your posture, sitting can still cause health problems.

And for problems, for now, I have none of the problems quoted, or eventually those looking a lot like social problems (postures related) but as I don't have any back problem it looks to me more like pointless social garbage I don't need care of at my age.

I disagree with the notion that sitting in a chair is not an anatomical normal position. Many of the health risks mentioned will occur also when squatting.

I agree that the most important part is taking a break from sitting, which is why I have invested in an electric height adjustable table, so I can switch between sitting and standing.

pibbuR who is sitting now, but will soon rise to make a cup of coffee.

Back
Top Bottom