General News - Hoarding RPGs

I've sadly gotten into online multiplayer gaming and PlanetSide 2 has taken most of my gaming time for the last 1.5 year. The game is dying down a little, but now I'm playing ESO (but more as a single-player game so far).

Another issue is games that are very replayable. I've played a lot of Crusader Kings II. I even have no interest in the shiny new thing in that genre (Europa Univeralis IV) but that's mostly due to me not digging that time period as much... and I really liked playing the rulers and their descendants more than some 'national spirit' as in the EU games.

I would like to say it's good for my wallet, but instead of buying 3 games a year and playing them thoroughly, I now buy 21 at very low prices and never install them. I'm not entirely sure I'm getting my moneys worth even with the discounts.

For reference, the last game I finished was Gone Home, and before that Dishonored.

I have a backlog of only a few at any one time. There are games I don't finish, but that's only if I'm not particularly enjoying them, and the large majority of games I play I finish. I am mostly thorough in how I play but I have a good amount of time to play, and it usually takes me a few weeks to get through a good game of decent length.

I tend to find myself unwilling to finish some newly released games, even if they're good… I think it's because there's so much choice that there's always a better option. Unless the game is a true masterpiece, a case exceptionally rare to come by.

My backlog is almost entirely made of "legendary" games in various genres, though, and I'm going to play most of them eventually. New modern releases are added only if they're highly anticipated, or from companies I deeply admire.

Sometimes I obtain new games on the spur of the moment, but usually such decisions end up being causes for regret. Once the novelty of the game wears off, I often drop it, because of not enjoying it enough to push aside real masterpieces. And dropped games I mostly don't count as "backlog" any longer, because of being honest enough with myself to know I'm never going to go back to them.

The fact that we are now in the era of digital gaming has greatly increased my backlog. Not only are games much cheaper and more easily available than in the past, I no longer need an entire room to store them.

I have backlogs because I don't have enough time to play nowdays (how I miss uni days...) and also I tend to stick to games I like/love and replay them a lot :)

Since i started buying a lot of games on steam and started working,
my backlog grew too.

I have Mass Effect that I need to finish, but also own ME2 and 3.
Still need to finish Risen 2 since it lost my interest, but I am interested in giving it a new chance.
Then there Divintity Original SIn coming soon, that will take a lot of time.
Now I am playing Watchdogs and not getting anywhere in the story, because there is so much fun things distracting me in it.

And on top of this, I want to replay the witcher, too see the other paths and the witcher 2, wich I started on an other path.

Then I am not speaking of older ps2 games I still like to finish, like Final Fantasy or Soulreaver.

Good point in TW. I think I'll replay 1 and 2 before 3 is released.

You cannot hoarde something that does not exist. So "hoarding" STEAM, GOG or ORIGIN games is impossible.

I hoarde games in physical form, and I consider myself a Smaug like creature. I own about 400 CRPGs in boxed form and only completed 70 of them. ATM I hardly play once a week and get behind my backlog schedule by six more games a year.

At this rate I probably won't be able to play through all of them before I die, even if I stopped buying CRPGs at this very moment.

Sad.

Back
Top Bottom