Good Old Games - Will Be Back!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've bought 4 titles so far. I immediately downloaded them and now they reside both on my WHS and on DVD's I burned them too, so I wasn't too concerned about losing access to them.

I did freak out a bit though as I want to finally play Arcanum and hadn't gotten around to buying it from them!

It's too bad that the Ultima VII source code was lost. Exult is great, but it would be awesome to (easily) play both parts of U7 on a modern system.

I would assume it'll help. Sure there are some angry people but man this got a lot of coverage, Baldur's Gate is a huge title and their relaunch makes registering much easier.

GOG marketing team - YOU'RE FIRED!!!

Why? They did their job. The job of marketing people is to get your name out there and get people to pay attention to your product. That's exactly what happened here. People who never heard of the company now know who GOG is.

I'm not sure. It was rereleased in the UK last year, but it's seemingly sold out (Again).

I bought mine when it came out, so now I have a NICE DVD WITH PS:T!! na-na-na-na-naaa-na!!!

Regarding GOG: I didn't like this prank, it didn't find it funny! But I'm not a vindictive person, so yeah, I'll still buy games from them, whenever they offer something I want, or to support them.

So: Today is... GOG day.

Why? They did their job. The job of marketing people is to get your name out there and get people to pay attention to your product. That's exactly what happened here. People who never heard of the company now know who GOG is.

Loss of trust is a HUGE faux pas. Pretty simple to understand, really.

It really depends on how people react long term. For the general populace, a stunt like this ultimately gets blown over and the company gets exactly what it wanted out of it. Imagine if Apple pulled this with iTunes or something. People would flip, but they'd quickly forget and go right back, because in general, people have pretty short term memories for being pissed off at companies.

However, GOG has a much smaller and more targeted audience. For the most part we are 'older' gamers. We aren't the general populace, we're a little grotchity, and we can hold a grudge. I bet if you looked at GOG's customers, 90% of them are at least 25, if not at least 30.

My first impression is that is a risky bet on their part, though since they don't really have any real competition in their niche, maybe it's not a huge gamble. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Agreed. They can go screw themselves with an eggplant. I have no patience for this kind of crap. Then again, I'm the kind of person who will stop buying a product because the commercials piss me off.

Heh. If that was my criteria for buying things, I doubt I'd even go shopping. In fact, I threw out the TV years ago because of those damned things. Now I get all my news from the internet, and I'm thoroughly confused. But not permanently pissed off.

As for GOG, I'll cut 'em some slack. After all, throughout the time they were goofing off I could play all the games I downloaded from them. And if they got WotC on board, DRM-free and worldwide, they must be serious about *some* aspect of their business.

The biggest problem with a stunt like this is that it preys on one of the primary fears of digital distribution - what happens if they close shop? Since GoG is a digital distributor it could easily backfire on them, making people less likely to go digital over physical media. Of course GoG is DRM Free, so you could back up your games easily yourself, but I bet many have neglected to do so knowing that you can always re-download.

I am glad to see them get more titles - Baldurs Gate and the promise of more D&D titles. Hopefully the second Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, the Eye of the Beholder series, and Planescape will follow soon.

I bought BG in Czech Republic for 11$ 8 years ago on a gas station.
the deal is not noteworthy.

I dunno... glad they're not gone, I guess, but they lost a lot of credibility in the process.

Whole thing is crazy, though it doesn't change my plans to download the entire lot of mine these next days then enter something of a holding pattern while pondering and observing their subsequent moves/deals.

I was definitely disappointed when it went down, some notice would have been good, but hell, by the second day it was pretty obvious it was a stunt. Then the video, come on people.

The original post here said it was a very likely stunt. A pretty dumb stunt, IMHO. Yeah, people have heard about GOG now - heard that it's closed. The monk thing was OK but they needed to find a use for those swords/daggers that were hanging near them.

Ah well. Back to where we were last week with a few new games.

What has caused them to lose trust? They were going to shut down for a week regardless of the dumb marketing ploy.

One of the the things they promised was that their content would always be available for download. It wasn't. And they pulled the plug without warning when they could have given folks warning.

They should have kept the old site up while they made the transition. That's a basic availability requirement for any information system that people need or expect to rely on.

One of the the things they promised was that their content would always be available for download. It wasn't. And they pulled the plug without warning when they could have given folks warning.

They should have kept the old site up while they made the transition. That's a basic availability requirement for any information system that people need or expect to rely on.

I like how you talk as if Gmail shut down for a week. It's a game download service, who cares if you couldn't download your old games for a week?

People all up in arms need to pull their panties out of their ass and gain some perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom