Gothic 3 gothic 3 and Nvidia 280

cptmaxon

Watchdog
hey guys I put in an order to upgrade my desktop with DRR3 memory and also the Nividia 1gb 280 gtx card...
think it will run gothic 3?

I'm serious guys, I know gothic 3 has alot of hardware issues, anyone with the same card ? or heard something?

Well, if you have put in your order and you have G3 you're already beyond the point of no return. So you'll find out quickly. ;)
OTOH, nVidia still uses the old GeForce 6 design for the latest cards. So it should run.

with your card's specs, i don't see why not. just as long as you've patched with the latest CP (ver 1.6).

even with my specs, i can run G3 on high graphics settings.

Well, if you have put in your order and you have G3 you're already beyond the point of no return. So you'll find out quickly. ;)
OTOH, nVidia still uses the old GeForce 6 design for the latest cards. So it should run.

Geforce 6 design? What makes you say that?

with your card's specs, i don't see why not. just as long as you've patched with the latest CP (ver 1.6).

even with my specs, i can run G3 on high graphics settings.
What?????I can hardly play in medium on my rig(Pentium 4 2GHz ,1GB RAM,Nvidia 7600 GT 256MB)Do you think its because of the RAM or my ancient CPU?

Last edited:
What?????I can hardly play in medium on my rig(Pentium 4 2GHz ,1GB RAM,Nvidia 7600 GT 256MB)Do you think its because of the RAM or my ancient CPU?

I'm gonna go with cpu and video card. Both are very outdated. Also 2 or more gb of ram seems to make a big difference in this game.

I'm gonna go with cpu and video card. Both are very outdated. Also 2 or more gb of ram seems to make a big difference in this game.

Well i know that my system is out-of-date but he has the same video card( MSI NX 7600GT) and it seems strange to me that he can run the game on high without problems

Geforce 6 design? What makes you say that?
I've read not long ago that NVidia stuck to the same basic design for years. Of course they refined it once or twice a year, and they didn't really have a reason to retire it, but it's nevertheless the reason why ATI is in the lead in most segments now. ATI mixed it up when they saw their own old design had no chance against NVidia's cards since GeForce 6.

I may be wrong though. GeForce 9 was the old stuff. Maybe the 200 series is really new.

It's the RAM. I have a worse video card, only slightly better CPU, but 2GB of RAM and can play it on medium-high..

It's the RAM. I have a worse video card, only slightly better CPU, but 2GB of RAM and can play it on medium-high..
Damn...I know its not the right thread to ask but do you think its worth buying 1 more GB of RAM?I will buy a PC next year just when gothic 4 comes out so i dont know if it's worth buying it just for 12 months.Also my RAM is DDR(1) is there any difference besides the fact that my motherboard doesnt support DDR2?

RAM size is more important than RAM speed, within a reasonable range. See below. 1 GB DDR should cost you ca. 20 bucks. That's certainly worth it. If you have the money upgrade to 2 GB, even if it means throwing out the old RAM.

When your RAM is full windows swaps to the hard disk. The speed difference is far bigger than switching from a space shuttle to a bicycle. You always want to have more RAM than you need.

Gothic 3 is nearly unplayable on 1 GB.

Last edited:
RAM size is more important than RAM speed, within a reasonable range. See below. 1 GB DDR should cost you ca. 20 bucks. That's certainly worth it. If you have the money upgrade to 2 GB, even if it means throwing out the old RAM.

When your RAM is full windows swaps to the hard disk. The speed difference is far bigger than switching from a space shuttle to a bicycle. You always want to have more RAM than you need.

Gothic 3 is nearly unplayable on 1 GB.
You can say that again:biggrin:Well I guess 20 bucks arent much and if we are talking about Gothic money are of no importance.Thnx man

I like G3 but if I was planning on getting a new PC soon I dont think I would bother to buy RAM just for this one game, at least not if I had anything else to play while waiting.

If you have more software that would benefit from an extra gig NOW, or are going to keep the old machine as a surfing machine for your parents or somesuch then it might be worth it, as extra RAM extends the lifetime of an office PC by a year or two.

And dont skimp on RAM when you get a new PC. It's a cheap component and always useful. Get 4GB or more (and a 64-bit windows version)..

Last edited:
I'm getting a new computer built right now Pentium Quad-Core, 4 gigs ram, and two SLI linked 9800 GTs. Think that'll run G3? I hope so...

I like G3 but if I was planning on getting a new PC soon I dont think I would bother to buy RAM just for this one game, at least not if I had anything else to play while waiting.

If you have more software that would benefit from an extra gig NOW, or are going to keep the old machine as a surfing machine for your parents or somesuch then it might be worth it, as extra RAM extends the lifetime of an office PC by a year or two.

And dont skimp on RAM when you get a new PC. It's a cheap component and always useful. Get 4GB or more (and a 64-bit windows version)..
In fact i needed a ram just because of Firefox i also use windows blinds(eye candy) and many other software which would benefit from extra RAM.My next pc is gonna have 8 or 16GB RAM so that wont be a problem,i guess windows 7 64-bit would be out by then cause i wont give vista the pleasure of eating any ram from my next PC.

a little late to the discussion but i'd point to the RAM as the problem provided the CPU is chugging along well enough. mine is dual-core and i have installed the dual-core fix as well.

a little late to the discussion but i'd point to the RAM as the problem provided the CPU is chugging along well enough. mine is dual-core and i have installed the dual-core fix as well.

What exactly was that dual-core fix supposed to do? I installed it a while back but didn't notice any difference in Gothic 3. Is it only for AMD CPUs?

iirc, there are fixes for both AMD and Intel, though the problem was more prevalent with AMD chips.

the dual-core patch fixed the rapidly changing day/night cycle, however i installed the bug-fix before starting the game so didn't actually noticed rapid cycle. :)

btw, this was my source and a good one too, imo.
http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=151710

Back
Top Bottom