Grimoire - Released

That'll be Codex shenanigans, have no doubt.

I thought so too at first then saw the guy's avatar on the codex and it was of a furry so I thought, in the words of Judy Tunuta, "could happen *shrug*"

And my prediction is slowly coming true. I mentioned the Overall Reviews on Steam would be Mostly Negative within a month. It went from Mostly Positive to Mixed today. That snowball will continue.

Well, one wonders if this was a release, in the traditional sense, or just an arbitrary point where he decided to start selling it while development continues.

Well, one wonders if this was a release, in the traditional sense, or just an arbitrary point where he decided to start selling it while development continues.

Or Option C, which I've suspected, in that the game never had any sort of work done on it at all, and it's in the same state as it's always been, and then finally just thrown out there to collect a few dollars from suckers/unknowing victims believing his BS.

I don't know the verdict yet but time shall reveal all. :nod:

Also a definite possibility.

There are certainly things that Cleve recognized as a problem as far back as the original "beta" that was released 20 years ago, that Cleve promised he would fix shortly, which were never fixed in the much later released demos, and are still not fixed now. The biggest example is the food bars, which don't do anything, and haven't done anything for 20 years. Cleve always said that he would get rid of them soon, or even that they were already gone in the current version, but somehow they are still there 20 years later. In that respect it really is like he hasn't done any work on the game.

But then, when it comes to fleshing out content, he clearly has done work, and it sounds like plenty of it. I haven't played the game, but it sounds like the game world is much more fleshed out then the early beta, and although I haven't heard much talk about them, it does sound like the areas beyond the first town are in the game and at least somewhat fleshed out.

It's almost like he can world build with his engine without trouble, but has a really hard time actually changing anything within the engine itself.

Initial views from Rock, Paper, Shotgun:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...n-the-making-is-a-crazily-tough-nut-to-crack/

I agree with the negative points on the poor interface and the positives about the world design, but:
"In perhaps the greatest divergence from what we now call RPGs, your team of characters have no personality whatsoever, let alone interact with each other"

…really? :roll:

That review is right though. The characters and races are just paper dolls that are void of any life or immersion pretty much.

It's not that I disagree. Its just that this is still fairly common with party based rpgs, including recent ones like Grimrock and other less old- school stuff than Grimoire. It seems odd to highlight it as the "greatest divergence" with "what we now call" RPGs.

I thought the calls for Cleve to add romances were a joke...!

Yeah, I think that party selection in this style of game is much like a squad and weapons loadout in a strategy style of game. I wouldn't fault it for not doing what is not intended in the design.

I saw some screenshots of the latest builds and the scaling looks like ass. Unless you want to play within a small window on your 24"+ monitor/television you need to activate the scaling feature and it actually makes the game, including the interface, and the pixel art look worse than Wizardry 7 under DOSbox. Cleve needs to upscale those art assets because while it may be a retro-blobber, the pixel art should be crisp. Old VGA games may have not have been hi-rez but at least they looked crisp on old VGA monitors. Grimoire looks like shit if you want it to fill your screen with the exception of the black borders on each side..

Old games always looked crisp on old monitors because old monitors (CRTs) actually supported a wide range of resolutions. You could run your CRT at 320x200 or 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 and the CRT actually switched to whichever of those resolutions you picked and its pixels became different physical sizes. Your pixel art didn't need to be scaled between resolutions, because your actual monitor had the ability to change the size of its pixels.

Now it's a different scene, LCD monitors don't have the ability to change the sizes of their pixels, all they can do is scale images up and down to fit their native resolution. So these sorts of old games that still use 2D art are kinda screwed. Grimoire would probably look great on a 1024x768 LCD though, if you still have one of those. Or just fire up a CRT.

On my Samsung 1920 X 1080 120Hz 24" LCD monitor, Wizardy 7 (and all the other old VGA games I've tried) has virtually pixel perfect art under DOSBox in full screen. Grimoire looks far from that. I know all about LCDs and native resolutions and LCDs vs. CRTs and such, and Grimoire shouldn't look this bad on modern displays even with non-native resolutions.

ETA: I do use a shader to simulate very fine VGA scanlines on my monitor with DOSBox however. Maybe Cleve should look into that and perhaps use a high quality CRT shader to simulate that good old games look instead of the mushy mess it is, imo..

Personally, I think it has a sort of charming old-school look to it.

That said, I don't care for the monster art and I particularly don't care for the way it "scrolls" when you turn. He seems to have used a weak shortcut for this effect - and I'd rather he hadn't. I guess maybe you can turn it off, though?

Aside from that - it's, of course, extremely pathetic that the main viewpoint doesn't scale to a larger version and that the UI takes up more of the screen than the actual action.

I'm assuming he has access to his assets - and he could easily have converted the project to Unity or something similar - that would handle all the scaling and UI tasks - with a few months of work.

On the other hand, it does have that nostalgic warmth about it.

But, in the end, it's the content that counts - not the layers of the superficial. That said, the game would have been very impressive 20 years ago - as a one man job.

I'm still waiting for reliable feedback about the actual content - but I don't expect it any time soon.

I'm assuming he has access to his assets - and he could easily have converted the project to Unity or something similar - that would handle all the scaling and UI tasks - with a few months of work.
You kidder! :D

I'm still enjoying the graphics and crazy world design, but I'm finding combat to be a slog. Even on early maps there are creatures that can one-shot you, and the opaque rules don't help you work out what to do about it. I'm basically having to reload multiple times for each fight. At my current rate of progress and given the frequency of encounters I can easily imagine it taking me 600 hrs to beat. :) I was expecting combat to be hard, but it feels a little joyless at the minute. I might enjoy it more once I've Git Gud and all that, I'm clearly playing like a noob, but it is definitely punishing.

As long as the game plays fair, I don't mind a challenge - and especially not if the content is rewarding.

Punishing for the sake of being punishing, however, is very far from my preference - and it would be particularly unappealing if the content isn't strong.

I expect to wait a month or two before I can get a balanced point of view.

Steam reviews, at this point, are full of bias going both ways - and even the 30+ hour reviews can't help but mention the "Incline" as something real, which I consider so laughably out of touch with reality that I can't possibly take whatever else they're saying at face value.

Steam reviews are pathetic.
Not a single one says that in year 2017., the game looks like a bunch of placeholder sprites.

As long as the game plays fair, I don't mind a challenge - and especially not if the content is rewarding.

Yeah I completely agree, and definitely haven't given up on having a eureeka! moment where I start enjoying it more. At the minute though I couldn't say with confidence whether the combat is fair or not - it could be unfair, or I could just be rubbish at playing it. The rules are pretty vague :)

Back
Top Bottom