Hardcore Games - 12 Best PC RPGs of All Time

I played I through V with great interest. I liked V more than IV—the mystery element was cool. I got involved in some stuff after college. I didn't have a computer for a number of years. I tinkered with Ultima Underworld, Ultima VI and VII on other people's machines. But I played Ultima cough… IX, and Online when I finally got a rig going again in the early 90s, had a power heavy crossbow and achieved grandmaster in the latter after it became difficult to do so, and still got killed in PvP more often than not. I also never played Vampire the Masquerade. I think Vampire released in a buggy state and got mixed reviews because of it, so I stayed away. I found VtM's aesthetic kind of crappy, from a distance, since I never played it. I know its well regarded and will probably take it for a spin one of these days.

Still, I'm pretty sure I've played every other RPG of note.

Last edited:
Oh, and your other comment? I never meant to imply that you were lying. My point was that if you think you played Ultima I on an Atari 2600, your memory of that time isn't very good to begin with. (Further proof followed, see above.) I guess the subtlety was lost on you.

You are nothing if not subtle.

Thank you. That means a lot coming from a guy who can't quote a post properly, doesn't have the slightest clue what an Atari 2600 is, runs a site called "Hardcore" Games that reviews free-to-play and pay-to-win phone games, and registered on this forum less than 24 hours ago for the sole purpose of defending his site's awful top 12 RPGs list.

I have no doubt.

And I can see that you are likely just a little upset because people in the meat world likely don’t appreciate your steel trap of a memory. That, and your combination winning personality and your subtle yet madcap sense of humor. Because I didn’t get that joke at first, no siree. Suggesting that I forgot the number associated with my friend’s Atari from thirty years ago. I didn’t see that coming. Who would? Oh you…. And isn’t that subtlety nothing less than a sure sign of our penetrating intelligence. Sure, no doubt, that’s why you bought it up because you’re brilliant, and subtle, of course, let’s not forget that. But then again if we did, you’d be there to remind us. Or maybe you’re just a guy who is exceedingly rude online because he does not have the nards to be half as rude as he'd like to be in real life.

Well, off you go, onto your next forum, to perform memory tricks and exert your subtle and zany sense of humor on the masses.

I actually was thrilled that we were mentioned at all on this excellent site. And probably posted much more than I should have in response. I don't use forums typically, so, no, I don't know proper posting etiquette. But that's for this thread, not for you.

My email's on both of my sites if you'd like to continue this conversation offline.

And I can see that you are likely just a little upset because people in the meat world likely don’t appreciate your steel trap of a memory.
Thanks again, I had a good laugh at the notion of someone needing a "steel trap of a memory" to remember what an Atari 2600 is and isn't.

Of all the people in the world, I cannot believe that the subtly of that little bit of "steel trap" whimsy was lost on you.

Instead of trading little insults, maybe it's better to leave it be? ;)

I speak from extensive experience!

@AlJackson

Fair enough. By giving my opinion, I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should do. It's nothing but a simple observation. The only reason I bothered saying it more than once, was that people - as usual - felt the need to contest it, and I had to explain what I meant quite a few times.

I'm happy you, as the most relevant recipient, can see my point.

Your site sounds like a fine idea - even if the name remains a bit misleading - and I hope it all works out.

I played I through V with great interest. I liked V more than IV—the mystery element was cool. I got involved in some stuff after college. I didn't have a computer for a number of years. I tinkered with Ultima Underworld, Ultima VI and VII on other people's machines. But I played Ultima cough… IX, and Online when I finally got a rig going again in the early 90s, had a power heavy crossbow and achieved grandmaster in the latter after it became difficult to do so, and still got killed in PvP more often than not. I also never played Vampire the Masquerade. I think Vampire released in a buggy state and got mixed reviews because of it, so I stayed away. I found VtM's aesthetic kind of crappy, from a distance, since I never played it. I know its well regarded and will probably take it for a spin one of these days.

Still, I'm pretty sure I've played every other RPG of note.

Not VtM. Play Vampire Bloodlines, that is the game we talked about. You can get it cheap, install latest community patch and play it twice. Once with anyone and second time with Malkavian and see your world change.

Do a review on it afterwards and give our master here a link so he can post it for all of us to read :)

VtM

Very cool.

I can not but say yes to that; however, 2 jobs, 2 sites, 3 kids and a lovely wife means I either have to put one of my best guys on it or place it near the bottom of my to do list, probably, I'm afraid, the former.

That said, I'll definitelly play it right after I finish Wasteland 2 and on my to do list it goes.

And I'll look you up as soon as it's done.

Have you played W2 yet? if so, what do you think?

Geez Stingray, enough with the trolling. I believe Mr. Jackson made his point. He is entitled to an opinion that differs from yours without the need to go throwing insults.

None of the Ultimas are near my top twelve either (nor is Oblivion).

Very cool.

I can not but say yes to that; however, 2 jobs, 2 sites, 3 kids and a lovely wife means I either have to put one of my best guys on it or place it near the bottom of my to do list, probably, I'm afraid, the former.

That said, I'll definitelly play it right after I finish Wasteland 2 and on my to do list it goes.

And I'll look you up as soon as it's done.

Have you played W2 yet? if so, what do you think?

I am a WL2 backer so I cannot be objective. Vampire Bloodlines is better ;)

I am a WL2 backer so I cannot be objective. Vampire Bloodlines is better ;)

Well, their a bit too different to compare...WL2 is great, but VtMB is probably the most immersive and downright cool game I've ever played.

Wow, almost a whole page of trolling due to Atari 2600 vs 8-bit series. As far as I know, Ultima 1 was released on the 8-bit, but not the 2600, as if it matters in the least.

And no, it's not particularly odd that old Ultimas didn't get anywhere near a top 10 or 12 or whatever list. Even here on the Watch, Ultima 7 is the only Ultima is mentioned frequently in our top RPG thread. The rest wouldn't even make a top 20. In fact, Ultima 7 is mentioned more than every other Ultima combined (I counted the games in the thread some time ago).

If you are going to post any sort of top list you have to expect some to agree with it and some not to. So have some thicker skin when posting them or just don't.

Wow, almost a whole page of trolling due to Atari 2600 vs 8-bit series.
Saying I was trolling is ridiculous. All I did was point out that this guy's memory is pretty faulty if he really thinks he played Ultima I on an Atari 2600. The 2600 is an iconic device, and nobody with even rudimentary knowledge or memory of gaming history would think a game like Ultima I would have ever been on it. He even further proved my point later by implying he thought that the Atari 2600 had a floppy disk drive.

It's not my fault this guy got all butthurt after I pointed it out. As soon as I realized he was one of those "must get in the last word" type of people, I stopped replying to his garbage.

Thanks again. I really appreciate everything said on this thread. We wanted to pare it down to our 12, Mathew and myself, and, yeah, I imagine there is no way around a measure of conflict over a list that small.

This is a wonderful site btw. I'd run into before but never scoured it before today.

Back
Top Bottom