Horizon: Zero Dawn Review

Ars called it one of the greatest game sequels of all time. I really hope we won't have to wait toooo long for a PC port but then again with Microsoft now playing hardball in the exclusivity game my hopes are pretty slim. It will probably be a very long wait. Sony needs all the exclusives it can get to even begin to stand a chance against the MS behemoth.

I for one am not too interested in it. I don't like the main character and she is preset - no way to change her. Those type of games, if I don't find the main character appealing then they are a no buy from me. I also don't like how robots are such a focus in the game.
Just not appealing to me to fight a bunch of robot monsters. Boring.

Translation = "I glanced at this game that I know nothing about and made a snap judgment because there was a girl and robots!" ;)

lol, what can I say. This game doesn't appeal to me.
If it doesn't grab me, it is what it is. I don't like the tribal setting stuff either.

Is it an RPG?
It's the AAA open world stealth archer summersault stab loot & craft detective mode tower-climb-to-reveal-map and get side quest fatigue genre (thanks Girlfriend Gamer). Honestly, that really does seem to be a genre all its own now. I was thinking "well, there's another checkbox on the 'features big games must have' checklist" pretty often in the first hours of the game.

I came across a video that illustrates the degree to which that's not true. Look at the particle comparison at 3:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vDTE7PutHA
Nice! Strange that she seems to be wearing the power shield armor but it isn't doing the shield shimmer thing. Maybe the battery ran out?

Just for fun, I compared loading times in HZD on my PC. It starts in 11 seconds and takes 8 seconds to do a long-range fast travel.

Sad to see the game going at 30fps, though. This one does require accurate shooting, so it's one where I would want faster framerates than that. "FPS" mode gets 60, but it clearly costs you some eye candy.

Translation = "I glanced at this game that I know nothing about and made a snap judgment because there was a girl and robots!" ;)

Like'em reddies and freckles. :)

I'm currently very angry, because in an review of the new game, the editor spoiled everything major of the first game which I have never played so far.
It's so … that I don't even need to play the game anymore, because he wrote everything in-game background in his review. Imho typical case of Curse Of Knowledge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_knowledge
To his defense I must say, though, that he didn't expect himself to be that "spoiler-ish".

Last edited:
Haven't seen any discussion of the new game here, but I've playing it on my PS and really enjoy it. They improved on a number of things that I felt there was room for improvement on. I'm especially impressed with the combat and increased emphasis and support for shooting off machine parts and the greatly expanded skill trees and upgrade options.

My only real criticism is the jumping puzzles. I guess that was always a thing, but I feel like they may have gone a little too crazy with it in the sequel. I'm guessing I'm about a third of the way done and I already never want to see another giant cave or massive vault that requires 30+ minutes of jumping puzzles to get through.

Back
Top Bottom