If you could....

Tough question.

Games I'd consider are:
Planescape: Torment - so I could be amazed at some of the conundrums
Serpent Isle - so I could be surprised at some of the plot points, particularly the release of the Banes
Mass Effect Trilogy (cheating, and I'd love to play the trilogy from start to finish fresh, but if I had to choose, probably Mass Effect 2, so I could get to know the characters again.)
Ultima VI - because I knew about the plot twist before playing, it had little effect on me

But the number one game that I'd consider would be something that's not even one of my favourites…

Oblivion - I LOVED that game until the level scaling made itself obvious to me, so playing that game with a mod or multiple mods that remove the worst parts of the level scaled world would be great.

The story of not being the saviour but only supporting the chosen one was a nice change and I did love the heroic moment when the army gave me a round of applause as I left the final Oblvion gate.

I guess I'll interpret the first time as having my childish wonder renewed. I suppose I was never so enthralled with games as when they were so new to me. Here are two that I sunk obscene amounts of time into and likely started my love of tactical computer-game combat (Thanks, SSI.), with their manuals, in case anyone wants to actually try them:

Computer Ambush (Manual)
Sixgun Shootout (Manual)

I suppose Ultima IV (Manual) solidified my love for CRPGs. Today, seeing the name Lord British just now made me vomit in my mouth a little.

I guess I'll interpret the first time as having my childish wonder renewed. I suppose I was never so enthralled with games as when they were so new to me. Here are two that I sunk obscene amounts of time into and likely started my love of tactical computer-game combat (Thanks, SSI.), with their manuals, in case anyone wants to actually try them:

Computer Ambush (Manual)
Sixgun Shootout (Manual)

I suppose Ultima IV (Manual) solidified my love for CRPGs. Today, seeing the name Lord British just now made me vomit in my mouth a little.

It means whatever you want it to mean.

But, good answer :)

I'll give you one more that is similar to yours, Dart: Dark Age of Camelot. I first got hooked on MMOs with Everquest and remember how hugely impressed I was with this radically new type of game. But my answer is DAoC not only because it was a better game, but primarily because of the personal factor, as you mentioned with WoW and your ex.

I played it with my oldest son. At some point during that time, his mother and I got divorced, and we continued to play. DAoC became my online visitation with my son on a daily basis, instead of just every other weekend. The time spent in that game was very important to me and, I think, to him, as well. We still talk about it occasionally.

I'll give you one more that is similar to yours, Dart: Dark Age of Camelot. I first got hooked on MMOs with Everquest and remember how hugely impressed I was with this radically new type of game. But my answer is DAoC not only because it was a better game, but primarily because of the personal factor, as you mentioned with WoW and your ex.

I played it with my oldest son. At some point during that time, his mother and I got divorced, and we continued to play. DAoC became my online visitation with my son on a daily basis, instead of just every other weekend. The time spent in that game was very important to me and, I think, to him, as well. We still talk about it occasionally.

Yes, I think that's very common when it comes to MMOs and the impact they had the first time you got hooked.

I don't think it's so much the actual gameplay as it's the social interaction and bonds that are created.

Overall, I actually think most MMOs are pretty horrible in many ways - when it comes to the core design.

I think the fascination with sharing a world with so many people - and especially when you're close to some of them - is really what makes the genre worthwhile.

I've often wondered what it would be like if someone came along and made an MMO on the same level as the very best small-scale multiplayer or singleplayer games.

I don't think we've seen anything near that kind of thing yet - and it's a big challenge.

My hope is that Star Citizen could be the first MMO that merges the best of both worlds - and even takes them further than what we've seen before.

But it will still revolve around the social interaction and sharing of the experience.

Yes, I think that's very common when it comes to MMOs and the impact they had the first time you got hooked.

I don't think it's so much the actual gameplay as it's the social interaction and bonds that are created.

I think you're right about that.

Overall, I actually think most MMOs are pretty horrible in many ways - when it comes to the core design.

Right again. I can't stand them anymore. :p

I've often wondered what it would be like if someone came along and made an MMO on the same level as the very best small-scale multiplayer or singleplayer games.

I don't think we've seen anything near that kind of thing yet - and it's a big challenge.

My hope is that Star Citizen could be the first MMO that merges the best of both worlds - and even takes them further than what we've seen before.

You're more hopeful when it comes to SC than I am, though I hope you're right. But I don't really have time for MMOs anymore. My oldest and I still play this game, but it is turn based and play by email, essentially. He has his own son now -- and I have a young one, too -- and the two of us can barely pull that game off. :p

You're more hopeful when it comes to SC than I am, though I hope you're right. But I don't really have time for MMOs anymore. My oldest and I still play this game, but it is turn based and play by email, essentially. He has his own son now -- and I have a young one, too -- and the two of us can barely pull that game off. :p

As the saying goes, you can never go home again :)

I don't have that kind of time either - and I'm not seeing myself ever going back to playing games like I did with WoW.

But if there was one game that could bring about something like that, it would be Star Citizen.

Yes, I'm hopeful - but in this case it's based on being very, very well informed and the fact that I've followed the very open development, closely, for years.

That's not a guarentee, of course - but even if they fail in several ways - there's just no way they won't release it at some point, and there's no way it won't have SOMETHING special about it :)

Back
Top Bottom