JA2 Reloaded - No TB Combat!

Bah … I so loved JA series, but it has to be turn based! Why all this real time hype? Is the entire world now filled with hyper hyper kids?

Double-bah…

yeah - if they want to make a real time game they should give it a different name -> like

Rigged Cuddle Team 1 ;)

No TB, no JA2 .
With the defining aspect out of picture and some other idiocies in (like no fog of war), this will crash hard.
Fuck this "remake".

Strange how many devs seems to neglect old fans for new players, that they don't even know exists..

TB isn't dead. It's just a different kind of game. Saying that it's dead is as much nonsense as saying that card games are dead, because there are board games now. It seems, atm, that there are more realtime games, of course, but that doesn't make real time "better" than TB, just different (and, atm, more famous).

Anyway, a real-time game with mercenary background doesn't have to be bad, that's not my point. It can just not be a remake of JA2. If you want to make a remake of JA2, TB is the way to go. Otherwise it's just trying to milk the JA2-title cow while trying to sell something completely different.

When I started playing JA2 1.13 again I got frustrated at the slow AI turns so I took the code and rewrote the time system so that I could fast-forward through the AI turns because it was painful to watch and not be able to do anything. Perhaps I will resubmit it and see if the bear pit want to take it this time. Point being JA2 was good but can be improved especially in how turns are played out. For what its worth, I also wrote a timewarping injected dll hack for PoR2 back in the day to to speed it up and I love TB combat just prefer to have AI turns resolve much faster than they do.

A hybrid TB/RT system with near simultaneous resolution of one faction at a time would be fine with me ala Fallout Tactics and to be able to switch to full real time when mopping up is also ok with me. Though in the heat of the battle I want full turn based. I could be ok with BG2 like pause combat but I dont think its the same to just direct your merc to fire on a specific enemy than to control things like how many ap to use in dialing in accuracy.

...I got frustrated at the slow AI turns so I took the code and rewrote the time system so that I could fast-forward through the AI turns because it was painful to watch and not be able to do anything...

You can set how fast the AI moves in .ini file, you know...

You can set how fast the AI moves in .ini file, you know…
Yes but my fix sped up everything during the AI turn by a factor of about 5x-10x not just the animations. And it only works when the AI is running (or if you setup a key) which I think the animation fix is always in play if I remember correctly. It made a really big difference to me anyway. (The game would only process time changes every 1 - 10 ms, while I modified it to process time much faster when AI turn was running assuming).

JA2 is probably the best game I have ever played. It certainly has the best combat. A new game will not be JA without the TB combat. In JA2 you could control 3 six man squads if you wanted to. How the heck can you do that with some kind of a RTwP system. How could you possibly keep track of all the events in a JA2 battle with simultaneous action system?

JA2 is probably the best game I have ever played. It certainly has the best combat. A new game will not be JA without the TB combat. In JA2 you could control 3 six man squads if you wanted to. How the heck can you do that with some kind of a RTwP system. How could you possibly keep track of all the events in a JA2 battle with simultaneous action system?

Those are good questions. The answer is you can't, really. Welcome to yet another game being dumbed down. It's a shame they have to do this type of thing to existing titles, but they know, even if they can't muster up an idea thinly veiled as original, the importance of name recognition.

The gaming industry, it seems to me, is going through the same kind of thing the movie industry did as it increased in popularity, leading to the rise of big studios and Big Hollywood. Games are becoming more popular, more of a mainstream entertainment medium. That means action for games — pretty pictures and cheap thrills. ( A quote from some producer or something for Dragon Age 2 always encapsulates this well for me: "Every time you push a button, something awesome happens." Personally, I'd rather not have something awesome happen every time I push a button, but I'm kind of an old guy. :p )

Generally speaking, the masses want popcorn movies. They want the roller-coaster ride. They require some kind of love story thrown in and a happy ending. And the gaming industry, chasing the biggest chunk of change, will cater to the masses, just as Big Hollywood does.

That said, I don't consider myself an elitist or anything. I like the occasional popcorn flick. Hell, the game I've been looking forward to the most these days is Two Worlds II, and that isn't exactly highbrow stuff as far as I can tell. I just wish there were more variety. Perhaps there will be once the Hollywood-style gold rush calms down. Perhaps not.

I imagine there will always be games that are interesting and challenging and cater to archaic turn-based tastes like mine, but you'll have to hunt for the unpolished gems, just as you have to scour mostly independent films for the same kind of quality, something that ventures outside the most simplistic and hackneyed forms of story telling. There will be mainstream exceptions, I'm sure, but I'm pretty sure they'll be fairly rare, too.

That fact is, your neighbor has discovered that video games are fun, too. That's great, but let's face it: Your neighbor is kind of a jackass, too. :p

Last edited:
Lord forbid they make turn-based an OPTION.

Oh, and I hope my idiot neighbor chokes on his Big Mac.

When I started playing JA2 1.13 again I got frustrated at the slow AI turns so I took the code and rewrote the time system so that I could fast-forward through the AI turns because it was painful to watch and not be able to do anything. Perhaps I will resubmit it and see if the bear pit want to take it this time.

Can you please do that, or mail me the changed files or tell me what code to change?
I am really interested in that knowledge.

Lord forbid they make turn-based an OPTION.
Hmmm… maybe something that just automatically pushed the space key for you every two seconds?

Actually, I wonder if they will include those as options. Saying what they said will generate a lot of talk and, if they then come in and 'relent to player demands', it turns into free advertising. Or maybe I'm just in a cynical mood right now….

Space-to-pause and turn based both work for me. However, if you are going to call a game a remake, you have to have the same basic game. They say flat out in the release that the changes they make fundamentaly change the strategy and make the game easier. If they are going to do that, call this a "reboot" not a "remake" of the series.

I really do hope that more gamers think like you because I love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and would hate it if this steaming pile of poo bankrupts them.
bitComposer only really distributed/ translated Call of Pripyat, they don't own Stalker. GSC does- their series producer Sergey Grigorevitch has all the trademarks registered to him. The previous games had different publishers (THQ- SoC; Koch/DeepSilver- CS) which also varied by location.

Or in other words it's unlikely bitComposer disappearing would have much impact on GSC or future Stalker games

Take the protest to their forum:

BitComposer Games:

http://www.jaggedalliance.com/index.php?id=35

I think there is no point in doing that... it is already a lost cause with the people developing the remake not understanding the core of the game. I mean every decision just screams bad not only the removing turn-based thing... seeing all outside enemies? who thought of such a brilliant idea??? * cough * idddiiiots *cough* * cough *

I think there is no point in doing that… it is already a lost cause with the people developing the remake not understanding the core of the game. I mean every decision just screams bad not only the removing turn-based thing… seeing all outside enemies? who thought of such a brilliant idea??? * cough * idddiiiots *cough* * cough *

Maybe there's no point … but to avoid heart diseases it is sometimes better to vociferate your opinion. ;)

This isn't the combat interface which is what I discussed.

I'm talking about JA2's interface which is the whole point of this damn thread.

Turn-based means it's based on turns, as in each individual acting one after another. To think, plan, and make tactical/strategic choices in your time, do not require individuals to move in turns. In fact, to co-op it is necessary to act at the same time rather than one after another.

So TOEE wasn't turnbased? I wasn't talking about co-op. I was talking about improving the TB games.

TOEE got rid of so much of the bordom associated with TB games, by making it so you can keymap almost any key on your keyboard and by having all enemies that are grouped together to take their turn instead of having to wait for them one by one. Then it's your next characters turn. That saved so much time.

BG, NWN, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale works in realtime with the ability to pause, I see no complaints there. Fallout, ToEE, PoR:RoMD, UFO etc are turnbased and could today be using the same method as the ones previously mentioned.

Have you played JA2. Just curious because you keep referencing games that have almost nothing in common with that game.

Except for UFO……thank you for reminding me of the UFO series :) So you prefer UFO over X-com then because of it's quasi-turnbased/real-time mode? I like the UFO series, but they needed to make it turnbased.

When a city reacts yes, and no you do not get to quotemine a sentence out of context and then spin it around. You may even reload the game if that happens because else you are in for a long sitting.Shouldn't you be completely unaware of them if that is the case?

It can be a little boring waiting for everyone to take their turn, but not nearly as bad as you made it seem. It just needed to be improved upon to make the player wait less and so what if you had to wait a little for everyone to take their turn. I much prefer that over most of the realtime strategy/rpg out there like King Arthur (Good game, btw. Just needed to be turn based and it would have been perfect).

As for being completely unaware to them, you are in a sense. You know they are there, but you do not know where. Unless the player is so stupid as to think that attacking a hostile area will be completely free of enemies. Even in the real world I do believe that soldiers would be aware that they are in hostile territory and that there are enemies all around them.

With this new JA2R BS you will know where everyone is on the field. It strips the game of one basic element I enjoyed. Then it stripped it again with making it realtime.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'll finally buy JA2 from GoG, now that all hope for a faithful remake is gone. :/

I understand the devs' reasons for dropping the turn-based combat and what they're trying to achieve (though as some pointed out they could've worked out a way to tweak the TB to their liking as some other modern games do) and that might actually produce a good modern Commandos/Pause-combat game (or a huge flop)...
but JA2 for me has always been in it core for the advanced turn-based combat and changing that would produce a radically different game even being it in similar but shiny new clothes. Very disappointing, and since I still haven't finished JA2 and was in awe for the TB guess which one I would buy. (hint: look at the top)

To boil this down:

Obviously, the "modern" audience won't appreciate the advantages of a traditional turn-based combat system. They're not used to that, and they don't have the history of such games to "teach them" why it can be great fun with a little patience.

The thing is, though, that this game WON'T naturally appeal to modern gamers anyway, and it certainly won't appeal to hardcore fans now.

In conclusion, I really don't see this working - EXCEPT if they manage to make a mainstream quality experience out of this.

I came to turn-based games quite late - in fact I only played my 1st turn-based game after playing BG. It was a revelation - and I loved it! I loved ToEE because it had a workable turn-based system that did not really slow combat thatmuch and mapped so well to table top DnD - so good TB combat can be done. I really don't see why so many people find it distateful - I also know quite a few younger gamers who enjoy turn-based games (of all sorts). I'm not sure how representative they are though.

Back
Top Bottom