Jeff Vogel - Innovation is not the only Path

Developers should stay true to their own vision, if the sales suffer due to that, well, they get to live with it. Not every single product is going to appeal to every single person/player, nor should it.

Developers should stay true to their own vision, if the sales suffer due to that, well, they get to live with it. Not every single product is going to appeal to every single person/player, nor should it.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more.
The best way to develop is to get all the feedback you can from forum comments, reddit, facebook, and opinion articles from online reviewers. Then you amalgamate all that feedback being really careful to balance everyones concerns at the same time.
Thats really the only way to assure success.

Shh, that's sarcasm.

( I heard Wisdom landed a job at Ubisoft)

Wow, I couldn't disagree more.
The best way to develop is to get all the feedback you can from forum comments, reddit, facebook, and opinion articles from online reviewers. Then you amalgamate all that feedback being really careful to balance everyones concerns at the same time.
Thats really the only way to assure success.

OK, these last few have had me literally laughing out loud! Especially having just been on Reddit, Facebook and Twitter ... Thanks :D

Sure?

I don't think many are complaining of the look of the games. I don't mind the way they look for instance.

I just want to play a new story not it's third version of the story in a new engine, it's ridiculous rehashing. It seems he is afraid to do something new and would rather rehash the same game that worked once for him.

Jeff is definitely an amazing story teller when inspiration strikes him, but he's inconsistent. His sequels tend to rehash the same story over and over and of course he's released several of his games 3 separate times now so that he doesn't have to tell a new story. The Exile/Avernum series are the only ones that really do a good job of telling a new story in every sequel, Avadon and Geneforge do not.

But he's got a business to run and not everyone has the proper inspiration to pump out original material on a regular basis. I'm not thrilled with all the remakes and half hearted sequels, but if he needs to do those to keep him in business until his next inspiration strikes then I'd rather have that then nothing at all.

Geneforge 2 and 3 are pretty similar but 4 was exceptional story wise. And the Geneforge world building is pretty impressive in my opinion. The Avernum series really needed the tech refresh. Its not like going "back to Baldurs" and having to deal with a few interface quirks. The old Avernum was extremely primative.

There are also some people that seem to revel in repeating the same moronic comments. Vogel may not be your cuppa, but to say he cannot tell decent stories to influence the genre and get people both new and experienced to continue to buy his products is flat out wrong.
And there are also some people who seem to value their own opinion so much they shift at first opportunity.

It was not about telling decent stories but
tales (that] are often very different.

Thousands people used to tell decent stories, their societies were deemed good for elimination because they said the same stories.

Back
Top Bottom