Kingmaker - Interview with Chris Avellone

Agh, that doesn't bode well at all.

That resume says bit part players to me as well. Hopefully they are capable of much more with a decent designer/narrative lead at the helm. That is if Chris Avellone is very much invested. If he is bit part as well I think I will wait and see.

Owlcat developers have worked on the following games:
Rage of Mages II (1998)
Evil Islands (2000)
Etherlords (2001)
Silent Storm (2003)
HoMM V (2006)
Allods Online (2010)
Skyforge (2015)

Impressive list of never-heard-of-it-before titles. Do we have Vogel's recap on this? :p

Impressive list of never-heard-of-it-before titles. Do we have Vogel's recap on this? :p

I've played them all - and most of them are mediocre at best - and they pretty much all suffer from crappy execution.

Even Silent Storm was one sloppy piece of software.

All are heard of. Not for being superb stuff though.
Last two titles they worked on are crappy MMOs.

Aren't the first five, strategy games with RPG elements in them?

Etherlords is TCG (or perhaps better to say CCG).

Aren't the first five, strategy games with RPG elements in them?

Rage of Mages II (1998)

RPG/RTS hybrid (50/50)

Evil Islands (2000)

RPG/RTS hybrid (more RPG than RTS)

Etherlords (2001)

TBS/RPG Hybrid (Magic the Gathering inspired tactical combat game)

Silent Storm (2003)

TBS/RPG (Mostly TBS)

HoMM V (2006)

TBS/RPG (Mostly TBS)

So basically they got plenty of experience making games similar to what they are making now. We just hope this time it is going to be of bigger production quality (although HoMM V was fun and of decent production quality).

I see there is still no news that this KS has started few hours ago...

How have you not heard of silent storm….awesome game…

Edit: Pledged

Silent Storm is pretty solid credentials in my book, probably the best game of its sort since JA2.

I thought about pledging, but I'm going to hold off for now. I've never played the Pathfinder PnP game, but it looks extremely derivative of D&D.

The thing that gives me pause about this though is the art style. It looks overly cartoony to me in both the monster design and color palette. It doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else, but I'm not a fan of that style at all.

I enjoyed Evil Islands quite a bit, but I think Avellone is highly overrated.

I'm not a big fan of art either but it doesn't bother me that much. I never pledge KS project though - I'm more of a "I will pay once I see the end product" person.

I thought about pledging, but I'm going to hold off for now. I've never played the Pathfinder PnP game, but it looks extremely derivative of D&D.
That's the point, it's a continuation of D&D 3.5.

The thing that gives me pause about this though is the art style. It looks overly cartoony to me in both the monster design and color palette. It doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else, but I'm not a fan of that style at all.

Well it should. It was a spin off from D&D when they went to a more modern approach, they stayed more complicated….

Hopefully they are capable of much more with a decent designer/narrative lead at the helm.

Don't worry, we will get 2 companions written by MCA :D

I'm having a sword coast legends flashback. Great rule set and setting but poor dev talent. I'm holding out hope but we will see. Why are the D&D and Pathfinder licenses going to these relatively obscure dev / publisher teams?

Back
Top Bottom