Knights of the Chalice II - Early Gameplay Video

Cheap phone game? I've been playing plenty of free and cheap games on my tablet and having a lot of fun with 99% of them. This game obviously has been influenced by tablet/phone games and there's nothing wrong with that all. It looks good to me. Now, if they port it to Android/iOS, all the better, because Android needs more deep strategy RPGs like this one, especially one using a great interpretation of the D&D license.

And before you all rail against graphics like these, try actually playing some tablet RPGs and judge for yourself. There are a LOT of fun RPGs on Android and graphics literally make up about 0.0001 of my enjoyment of a game.

Well, Fluent, I certainly don't mean to belittle anyone for enjoying phone games and I do admire your upbeat attitude and ability to see the positives in things. You keep doing your thing, man! :)

Maybe my remark was a bit harsh and came off as elitist, but I really don't like the look of the game (or phone games, for that matter…though I really just don't care for smart phones or tablets much in general), but that's just like…uh…you know, my opinion man. I'm of course paraphrasing the wise and honorable Dude from The Big Lebowski. :)

Last edited:
Like I said, try playing the games first and then judging about their quality. Not trying to be mean, I'm just saying that I played a lot of games on my Android tablet and had a lot of fun with most of them, including games that didn't have incredible graphics.

There are a plethora of interesting RPGs for tablets. Check them out sometime and maybe you will see things differently. I was anti-tablet for years until I finally got one and tried it, and wow, life-changing experience right there.

Also, the gameplay in a game should always outshine/be more important than graphics. But that's also just my opinion. :)

What are those interesting and deep RPGs for tablets? The only one I found which could truly be categorized as such is Silversword on iOS, which is a Bard's Tale clone that doesn't sacrifice any complexity.

All the other ones I tried were extremely lacking in content and simplified a lot of their systems, often to a very disappointing degree.

I was anti-tablet for years until I finally got one and tried it, and wow, life-changing experience right there.

Exactly same here.

What are those interesting and deep RPGs for tablets? The only one I found which could truly be categorized as such is Silversword on iOS, which is a Bard's Tale clone that doesn't sacrifice any complexity.

All the other ones I tried were extremely lacking in content and simplified a lot of their systems, often to a very disappointing degree.

-I only own android devices, and of course 90% of Google Play RPGs are pure trash, spam games whose aim is trying to get your money, etc. But there are some good gems too.
-I think that RPG tablet games due to technical limitations must be not only poor on graphics, but also -in a certain way- a bit simplistic in game design. But "simplistic" does not imply lack of deep mechanics. Chess is a very simple game in a way and a very deep if you consider things from another point of view.
There are a lot of free games or free demos, so you only lost a bit of time trying them out. Do you know this one?
Heroes of Steel (you can buy it also for PC on Steam) Really epic long RPG with good turn based combat and not very beautiful but confortable top down graphics.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.heroesofsteelelite&hl=es
-

I'll be buying this the day it is released, and playing it that very same day. The awesomeness that Knights of the Chalice brings with it gives this dev a lot of leeway. If I'm disappointed, I'll just go play the first one again to drown my sorrows.
KotC was awesome game but has lots of after release patches to fix lots of bugs. Playing it on day of release is not smart. It is about as smart as playing Obsidian games at release at the time they were most known as Bugsidian.

Heroes of Steel (you can buy it also for PC on Steam) Really epic long RPG with good turn based combat and not very beautiful but confortable top down graphics.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.heroesofsteelelite&hl=es
-
Tnx for this recommendation. Whenever I looked for nice rpg or strategy games to play I could not find anything in that bloated marketplace.
The guys behind this game also have some other cool games to offer:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=6566178840531972758&hl=en

I think I will try others as well, the space traders one also looks very interesting.

BTW I hate that KotC can only be purchased via PayPal. Anyone knows another payment method?

Some good Android RPGs are:

Dungeon Hero (casual but fun dungeon crawl with a lot of classes to play)
Raventhal (Iceblink RPG that is very D&D-esque)
Hearkenworld (another Iceblink RPG)
Tales of Illyria: Destinies (text-based RPG meets Oregon Trail)
Questlord (simple single-player, turn-based, retro RPG)
Endless Depths 1 & 2/Endless Nights (turn-based dungeon crawl RPGs)
Pathos: Nethack (a Nethack style dungeon crawler)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (dungeon crawler with lots of complexity)
Dungeon Hunter 5 (fun and beautiful Diablo-style lootfest action-RPG)
Rise of the Setting Sun (very unique text-based RPG that is similar to Long Live The Queen)

and more. Those are just a few I have installed right now on my tablet and I'm enjoying them a lot. You can find plenty more by scouring the Google Play store.

Some good Android RPGs are:

Dungeon Hero (casual but fun dungeon crawl with a lot of classes to play)
Raventhal (Iceblink RPG that is very D&D-esque)
Hearkenworld (another Iceblink RPG)
Tales of Illyria: Destinies (text-based RPG meets Oregon Trail)
Questlord (simple single-player, turn-based, retro RPG)
Endless Depths 1 & 2/Endless Nights (turn-based dungeon crawl RPGs)
Pathos: Nethack (a Nethack style dungeon crawler)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (dungeon crawler with lots of complexity)
Dungeon Hunter 5 (fun and beautiful Diablo-style lootfest action-RPG)
Rise of the Setting Sun (very unique text-based RPG that is similar to Long Live The Queen)

and more. Those are just a few I have installed right now on my tablet and I'm enjoying them a lot. You can find plenty more by scouring the Google Play store.

WOW. Thanks for the list.

I only played Dungeon Hero and Stone Soup. The last is a traditional and very praised roguelike, originally for PC. The port to Android are nearly unplayable for me.

I'll be happy to skip the coin-face game. I sold my C64 years ago.

Not sure why he would make such a radical change for the second game. I will still try it because of my love for the first game. The coins take me right out of game immersion and exploring seems like it would be boring with these graphics. Exploration and character development are the 2 most important things for me in a RPG. I thought the first KotC did a great job in those 2 aspects.

Yuck. That said, you all seem to like the first one. What platform is that one on? It's not on gog or steam.

I love that HiddenX, Sacred_Path, et al can still enjoy this game and I don't feel obligated to bitch and moan about why I dislike it and why they should too!

I love that HiddenX, Sacred_Path, et al can still enjoy this game and I don't feel obligated to bitch and moan about why I dislike it and why they should too!

... you are a better man than I ;)

Hey, it may not look perfect but given how great the first was, I'm going to actually play this one before I deride it. Cred counts a lot with me.

And if you did I would not find myself needing to put you on my ignore list :p

WOW. Thanks for the list.

I only played Dungeon Hero and Stone Soup. The last is a traditional and very praised roguelike, originally for PC. The port to Android are nearly unplayable for me.

No problem! There are even more, but I just listed a few here. If you go to the Google Play store on your device, browse for a game, let' say - Avernum. Then you look under the "related games" or whatever it's called, or the "users also installed…" area, you will find even more games that people have installed as well as the game you are looking at. In other words, you can find many little gems by simply browsing the store more and searching.

P.S. The Avernum: Escape From the Pit port is excellent. Truly one of the deepest RPGs on Android, by far.

Back
Top Bottom