Kotaku - Someone Doesn't Like Us

There are no "game journalism" sites that aren't corrupted.
The best we can do is find sites with reviews or reviewers that align with our beliefs.

I'm sure there's some truth to that, but there are also still a lot of idealists out there.

Reading the article helps with questions that have already been answered. Although I guess it would help if Myrthos actually posted a link to the actual article, which he still hasn't.

The major reason the article came about in the first place wasn't for them to wine about the blackout, but because their own readers (READ: BETHESDA FANS who read Kotaku) were asking questions about why they weren't subject to Fallout 4 embargoes, and why they didn't have a review on day one. Bethesda Fans are asking this. People who want to buy Bethesda games. People who give Bethesda their money. Gamers and RPG fans that play Elder Scrolls and Fallout series. People who have tattoos in the Dragon Alphabet (guilty). Yes no one needs to be explained that it's not an obligation for them, but they're shooting themselves in the foot.

This is news because big companies are punishing media outlets who tell the truth. We get it, some of you don't care about that, and are fine with media outlets that are favored in order to boost their scores. If that's what people want, then great, this isn't news to you. Some people do care about truth in journalism. As mentioned before, how strange it is that scorning reviews based on the idea that they've been influenced by big brother companies is a major theme on RPGWatch, yet here we have some validation on it, and there's a 180 degree shift.

So....you think these guys were blacklisted because they told the truth? Really?

There are other sites that gave Bethesda reviews that weren't all sunshine and roses(the trendy thing to do now to show you are a legit rpg reviewer now, am I right?) but they aren't reporting being blacklisted.

With the history of Kotaku do you think perhaps they may not be telling the whole truth or that there may be more to this then what we see? They weren't told no they can't review it, but they weren't given any favors either, which if I'm not mistaken they are not entitled to and it is solely up to the company to decide to let them. I'm sure kotaku readers could read another site that has a review up if it is that big a deal for them.

Do you honestly think Kotaku will make or break the launch of fallout 4? Not one bit.

Let's settle this. The real reason why Kotaku must not be trusted.

Zoe Quinn

Let's settle this. The real reason why Kotaku must not be trusted.

Zoe Quinn

No "news" agency is to be trusted. Reputation or not. News is a perspective, its rarely a presentation of fact.

So….you think these guys were blacklisted because they told the truth? Really?

There are other sites that gave Bethesda reviews that weren't all sunshine and roses(the trendy thing to do now to show you are a legit rpg reviewer now, am I right?) but they aren't reporting being blacklisted.

With the history of Kotaku do you think perhaps they may not be telling the whole truth or that there may be more to this then what we see? They weren't told no they can't review it, but they weren't given any favors either, which if I'm not mistaken they are not entitled to and it is solely up to the company to decide to let them. I'm sure kotaku readers could read another site that has a review up if it is that big a deal for them.

Do you honestly think Kotaku will make or break the launch of fallout 4? Not one bit.

What are you talking about? This wasn't about a bad review or entitlement… Are you even reading anything? What are you even doing here?

All of your posts so far have consisted of you bringing up information that was assumed or pulled out of nowhere. The only 2 possibilities is you just want an argument regardless of the side, or you're trolling.

I struggle to detect why we're that interested in this populistic crap site around here. I thought most of us were in agreement about how shitty modern gaming journalism is - and especially sites like Kotaku and their click-bait drivel.

While I have no admiration or respect for tainted sites like Gamespot, I certainly think more of their insight when it comes to gaming and its history.

As for corporations protecting their interests, that's quite a shock :)

If you go against the wishes of someone who's under no obligation to give you stuff - then don't expect to be given stuff.

It's neither surprising nor unfair in any way whatsoever.

What are you talking about? This wasn't about a bad review or entitlement… Are you even reading anything? What are you even doing here?

All of your posts so far have consisted of you bringing up information that was assumed or pulled out of nowhere. The only 2 possibilities is you just want an argument regardless of the side, or you're trolling.

This is how you respond....ok. Not much point in "discussing" this with you, obviously you have some better understanding then the rest of us on how these guys were wronged.

Good luck with that.

Oops, I forgot the link. Didn't notice that, but corrected it now in the news post.
http://kotaku.com/a-price-of-games-journalism-1743526293

Fortunately less than positive reviews on RPGWatch don't influence our ad income much :)
Although we were running an ad campaign for Mars: War logs at a time and we had a less than positive review about the game, which pissed of Focus Home, because they assumed running their ad would have some impact on the review, although they never explicitly expressed that.
I'm still in touch with them though for interviews, Gamescom appointments and other information. So I think that is good of Focus Home.

I don't remember any less than positive Mars review, but to me the game was unexpected candy that made me want for more and thus it's sequel Technomancer is on my musthave list.

Besides his opinions, that video is superb as it shows 4 games played on PC - with keyboard&mouse.
Fallout4, some rubbish game I've never seen before, Metal Gear Solid 5 and Far Cry 4.

Exactly those games consolelovers are trying to persuade everyone to play with joysticks.

Besides his opinions, that video is superb as it shows 4 games played on PC - with keyboard&mouse.
Fallout4, some rubbish game I've never seen before, Metal Gear Solid 5 and Far Cry 4.

Exactly those games consolelovers are trying to persuade everyone to play with joysticks.

Just hooked up my DualShock4 to my Steam PC to play Divinity on the big screen. It is quite sooper.

Back
Top Bottom