Kotaku - The 24 Best Classic PC Games

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
Kotaku's staff members compiled a list of what they dub the 24 Best Classic PC Games, abridged to a bite-sized amount from their reader-curated list of over 300.

The list includes a good chunk of CRPGs and hybrids such as these:

• Baldur's Gate II
  • Deus Ex
  • Diablo II
  • Dungeon Keeper
  • Fallout
  • Heroes of Might & Magic III
  • No One Lives Forever
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Quest for Glory: So You Want to be a Hero
  • System Shock 2
  • Thief II: The Metal Age
  • Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Kotaku also maintains a list of modern games called The 12 Best Games on PC.

More information.

Last edited:
If you're doing just 24 across all of gaming ... not a bad list. All very much worth playing.

Worst for me is how hard it is to get some of the classics like the NOLF series ... great games that still deserve to be played.

If you're doing just 24 across all of gaming … not a bad list. All very much worth playing.

Worst for me is how hard it is to get some of the classics like the NOLF series … great games that still deserve to be played.

I was gutted when Nightdive studios (the ones who resurrected system shock 2) couldn't resolve the NOLF situation. I hear so many good things about it, now I'll have to track down a physical copy somewhere.

I was gutted when Nightdive studios (the ones who resurrected system shock 2) couldn't resolve the NOLF situation.
Just read up a bit on it. Bummer. Lost in legal limbo due to indifferent corporations (i.e. Warner Bros. Interactive) that don't want to do anything with the game themselves and don't want to partner with Night Dive either.

Despite the list being so tiny there are a few on it that I have never played before.

I tried playing NOLF, I quit is after I realized that enemies spawn endlessly until you pass to another part of the map. After playing Doom 1, 2, Quakes, Duke Nukem 3d and some other FPS games this was terrible.

*sighs*

I gotta stop opening these list threads...

I tried playing NOLF, I quit is after I realized that enemies spawn endlessly until you pass to another part of the map. After playing Doom 1, 2, Quakes, Duke Nukem 3d and some other FPS games this was terrible.

I thought only NOLF 2 had respawning?

I thought only NOLF 2 had respawning?
It could be I played NOLF2, it was long time ago. But respawning made me quit it half way.

Also why I hated all the call of duty and medal of honour singleplayer campaigns, they all use infinity respawns like crazy. In some battles it made sense to present the enemy as a army with 10s of thousands of troops but most of the time they went overboard with it.

Of course I'm not sure, but since I hate respawning I doubt NOLF had it on more than a few select places. Otherwise I don't think I would have spent 50 hours or so on it.

All more than a decade ago though. Memories get foggy.

Back
Top Bottom