Last game you finished, tell us about it

Oh I'll get around to it, for sure, time and money hold me back a bit at the moment. Although I got my degree last month I signed up for two post doctoral classes and one elective, I don't know what I was thinking at the time. -p

And I've finished with Marvel's Midnight Suns, and it was mostly a fun ride. I didn't care for the card mechanic for combat yet the exploration, getting to know all the characters plus exploration of the Abbey made it all worth while. I don't think I'll likely replay the game, yet it was fun revisiting many characters that I loved years ago in the comic books. I'd say it's well worth playing if you like the characters and don't mind the inherent card system.

Marvel Midnight Suns
After a few hours wanted to give up but im glad i didnt, it was fairly enjoyable after you get used to it and make yourself some kind of a pattern: wake up - gift shop - forge - yard - central - mission :D. Im not really interested in the superheroes thing but as a whole experience it was ok, voice acting was top notch, combat and the whole card system was pretty entertaining but at the same time too many explosions and fireworks everywhere, too cinematic, kinda "you press a button, something awesome happens". Around 70h to finish it, did many side missions but from what i read those were infinite so i stopped at some point.

The Last Oricru
Struggled alot with this one but wanted to finish it, did it after around 15h, nothing really interesting to say about it. They tried to copy Dark Souls alot but its hilarious, for a game that is supposed to be soulslike, never died in combat just by falling into water a couple of times, i even forgot there were healing potions since there are pplenty weapons with hp stealing on hit. You can upgrade easily weapons and armor, transform the xp into money, you dont have issues with stuff in this game, you get plenty of everything quite fast. Only good thing i can think about would be replayability since there are 3 factions and you need 3 playthroughs and the main fork happens maybe one hour after the start. Voice acting, dialogues, combat, UI, story, graphics, everything is mediocre at best.
ps this armor looks pretty cool :D
WZN0DHe.jpeg

Good on you for sticking out Midnight Suns! I wrapped that one up myself a few weeks back, though I intensely dislike the card combat system, everything else was fairly good and I'm glad for the experience. If there should be any future games set in this universe, I would hope they'd take a more tactical and measured approach to combat.

Well, so after my 5th playthrough I finally stopped playing BG3.
I won't play it anytime soon and currently I don't feel like playing anything else. :|

Well, so after my 5th playthrough I finally stopped playing BG3.
I won't play it anytime soon and currently I don't feel like playing anything else. :|
5 is ... a lot. You must have hundreds of hours, at least, and seen most of what had to be seen. Did each playthrough feel much different?

5 is ... a lot. You must have hundreds of hours, at least, and seen most of what had to be seen.
Yep, GOG has me at > 600 hours. I guess it must be actually 450-500 because I was idling quite often.
Did each playthrough feel much different?
Yes and No.

The first playthrough is always unique of course. I did it with a good half-elfen wizard.

The second I did with an evil drow thief. This felt different because I had only one and a half companions, generally always went the egoistic route, did some mercyless and reckless stuff, had no happy end etc.

The third was with a good human bard. Bard is really special in this game because you can do so much with dialogues like pursuading bosses to kill themselves.

The fourth was with a neutral Githyanki cleric. This playthrough was "strange" because I hardly could identify with gith Tav. So it was literally somehow alien.

The fifth then with a good elven sorcerer as the Dark Urge. So this was basically not much different from the first and third playthrough, except for the Dark Urge implications, which are really strong, but not as frequent as I had hoped for.
For everyone who only "plans" for only one playthrough I would heavily recommend playing Dark Urge because it's so heavily involved with the plot. The regular non Dark Urge Tav imho is just a cheap workaround.

Having said that, the regular activities like combat, exploration etc. are of course the same.
If combat feels different only to a certain degree depends on Tav's class, but heavily on the companions you take and if and how you rebuild them.
The Githyanki playthrough I did on tactician difficulty, where you (especially in eraly to mod game) need to think in combat and have a strategy, but it wasn't really difficult knowing the mechanics and the opponents.

I also visited every area in the first playthrough and did almost all of the quests, so in this regard there was nothing new to explore.

The strength of the game lies in the possibility of doing a lot of stuff your own way and the game actually reacting to it. The level of detail and dedication here sometimes is staggering, e.g. when you get a cutscene with a voiced dialogue that perhaps 0.5% of players will see, because the necessary cirumstances are rare.

But if that's enough for multiple playthroughs everyone of course has to see for themselves.
I just loved "hanging around" in the game with general setting and the companions, and always wondered how it will feel with another Tav.

Last edited:
Prince of Persia: Lost Crown (Switch)
The first 5 hours were truly wonderful, absolute GOTY material. Then... the problems came.

This game is very uneven.
The combat is very tactical at the beginning, but gets annoying when you realise: the map is filled with bullet sponge trashmobs UNLESS you upgrade your attack. When you upgrade, the trashmobs turn to be pushovers, but the bosses still beat the crap out you. Boss battles are primarily pattern recognition and opportunity exploits and not brute force. Interestingly, nerfing the combat with assists lets you kill SOME enemies in a blink (including the main boss) , but you'll still get whooped by some lesser enemies.

The platforming is very cool at the beginning, but gets maddeningly hard, really quickly. Interestingly, turning on the platform assist lets you skip SOME of the challenges, but not all.

The story is actually quite good in a videogamey fashion - it has really great moments, but cringeworthy scenes are quite common as well. At least they tried.

All in all, after 15 hours, and about 50% completion (main story ends), I called it a day. Hmmmm... I gotta play Metroid: Dread again.

Thanks for the feedback @Morrandir! :)

For everyone who only "plans" for only one playthrough I would heavily recommend playing Dark Urge because it's so heavily involved with the plot. The regular non Dark Urge Tav imho is just a cheap workaround.
I think I'll choose this one for my 2nd playthrough, though I'm not sure I'll like it. It seems to flirt with evil, even if it's apparently possible to resist the temptation. But it's only the impression I got from reading a few comments, so I need to try.

I think I'll choose this one for my 2nd playthrough, though I'm not sure I'll like it. It seems to flirt with evil, even if it's apparently possible to resist the temptation. But it's only the impression I got from reading a few comments, so I need to try.
I think you'll like it.

If you come across a certain event that make you doubt (you'll know what I mean) than you can ask me about it again. ;)

Well, I thought I'd finished I Am Setsuna yet after a round of five named fights it still seems I've more to do. Maybe this explains why I got that bloke so near the end to add to my stable, that it wasn't really the end.

I've not gotten around to purchasing Disco Elysium as of yet, I can tell you that Torment: Tides of Numenera is a worthy successor to the Planescape Torment, which set a high benchmark for creativity and practical sheer joy in playing. After reading what you wrote about Disco Elysium, now I'm more keen than ever about getting it. Thanks for the above information.

I haven't played either of these. I realize neither are at all combat-oriented, but which of the two has more 'action' if you will?

Was this your first playthrough of the DLC? I thought you played/finished Phantom Liberty before.

Anyway, that's a shame. Reading your impression, now I'm losing interest in CP2077 again.
I played the patched up original game in 2022 and thought it was fantastic. I'd highly recommend personally. The DLC is on my list.

I haven't played either of these. I realize neither are at all combat-oriented, but which of the two has more 'action' if you will?
Disco Elysium has conflict, but nothing most RPG fans would identify as combat. So by default, Tides does. The exactly amount of combat will vary somewhat by your approach to quests, but whatever your choices there is a lot less combat in it than in most RPGs. If that's all you mean by "action", that's my answer.

If you mean "action" in the more general sense of "things happening", I would still say Tides. You shouldn't play either game unless you find interactions with NPCs interesting, though.

I played the patched up original game in 2022 and thought it was fantastic. I'd highly recommend personally. The DLC is on my list.
I won't playing CP2077 since it doesn't support 3rd person (I suffer motion sickness)

Cyberpunk 2077

Note: This review was made on the 2.1 version of CP2077 and Phantom Liberty.

The developers have managed to put together one hell of a city, running on one hell of a graphics engine. It looks good on most system configurations, but given the top of the line it really outdoes itself. It's a feast for the eyes and at least one main reason to go through it all.

The city is also one very nice playground for your amateur climber and parkour fan. Especially with the right leg cyberware and the ability to dash and air-dash. That alone has made exploring the city a lot of fun, trying to get to the weirdest places.

Immersion is also at its peak while playing, and the setting just oozes style. It also has one of the coolest mechanics for narrative exploration, via the braindance mechanic. It's somewhat similar to what Rocksteady's Batman game did, for the investigations, but a lot cooler. I really hope they choose to and manage to expand this into something even more full-fledged in the sequel.

In terms of gameplay, it's a considerable improvement over Witcher 3, especially in terms of possible ways of getting through combat encounters. And I was surprised and chose to get through most of it in a full stealth build, and only later, after maxing that out, chose to also expand into a netrunner build. A veritable wizard of the cyberpunk setting. I will want to try a pure melee build sometime in the future, but I do worry about the lack of quickhacks, as versatile and impactful as they are.

The overall story is good, with some nice plot points along the way, both in the main and in the Phantom Liberty expansion, but especially the endings of each of them. They just ooze high production value. Also in the narrative department, while it has plenty of side content, via gigs and jobs, and a few of them do have sizable narrative arcs, spanning multiple missions, I have to say that most of them are fairly forgettable or serviceable. Somehow in this department it feels like they fell short of Witcher 3's optional content, that you could easily mistake for main content. I do hope I don't just have rose-tinted glasses, but I suspect I do not.

Another issue with the side content, and this is due to the setting in general (and this is definitely more of a personal issue) is that the whole setting feels more like GTA, with plenty of satire, than Blade Runner. And I would've loved it if it were more of the latter than the former. There's also a dissonance between the two visions, both of which are present in CP2077 but they clash with each other; where one tries to take it self seriously and give a philosophical outlook on this type of dystopian future of mankind, while the other is just crass and unsubtle and disarms that critique from being taken seriously by the person experiencing it.

Another negative is the itemization, balancing and economy overall. In terms of itemization and economy it's still pretty poor and unremarkable. Money still has no value since you can easily exploit it. Having done a 100% run, and having completed all the side content before tackling the main stuff, for a good 1/3rd of the game I had maxed out everything on my character in terms of leveling and haven't changed my gear for that time at all. With the latest patch they also made everything scale to the player's level, so there is a constant difficulty curve generally speaking, which makes all enemies feel pretty much the same. Except for the 0.1% of encounters which can have incredible and sometimes impossible difficulty spikes. I could not, even after a lot of attempts, overcome the Adam Smasher fight on the hardest, Very Hard, difficulty. All of this indicates that there's not a lot of balancing by hand done in the game, and CDPR just threw up its hands and resorted to an auto-scaling difficulty, which results in mostly unremarkable combat encounters. Luckily the skill and cyberware systems have been overhauled in the 2.0 patch, giving considerably more options. Too bad they couldn't also balancing the whole experience by hand, to ensure a certain player difficulty curve.

But even with all of these significant negatives, overall the game is an absolute joy to experience. The quality of the main story and content, and the effort that was put into realizing Night City as probably the best dystopian cities in gaming; all of these manage to overcome the negatives, especially if you do not dilute the whole experience by delving too much into the side content. I unfortunately went for a completionist run, and did experience a lot of the negatives, but I hope they manage to improve on these in the sequel

To wrap things up, I'd like to mention the soundtrack which is also pretty fantastic, with plenty of amazing moody pieces, combat themes and everything inbetween. I did not care very much for the radio stations, but that's just me. I generally prefer to ride my bike across the cityscape with the radio off, just taking in the mood of the city. And it is a grand city indeed. Probably one of the best city settings in any game. And I do wonder how they'll try to improve on it in the sequel.

All in all, I'd have to give it an 9/10. And a definite recommendation.

Phantom Liberty:

The expansion builds on top of the already great setting of Night City, and just when you thought they couldn't make the city even more impressive, they went and did that. Dogtown is an absolute masterpiece in terms of design, layout and visuals. It manages to create its own little ecosystem that's been a great joy to explore on foot.

The story fits very well into the base game plot, and brings in some solid new characters. Their narrative branches are compelling and I was surprised how differently they wrap up, after making certain plot ending choices, both in terms of mood and story but also in terms of completely different final combat encounters. Sometimes the game feels a bit too bombastic and trying to outdo itself, if you expected a more subtle spy-thriller approach to the whole thing, but it does manage to balance out those high moments with more personal touches that do give the player pause. The expansion also optionally, depending on the chosen ending, introduces a potential new ending option, which I loved very much. It's a significantly different ending with a different future in store for the protagonist.

In terms of gameplay, it's the same thing as the base game. In my case it was doubly so since I had maxed out everything long before I reached the expansion (also having put off the expansion content until I was at the point of no return for the main story branches). But even so, and even with the not ideal difficulty scaling, I was able to really enjoy the setpieces they put together.

A solid expansion that's probably mandatory for the full experience. A 9/10.

Last edited:
I've already finished Little Nightmares after about 4 hours of gameplay.

It's a very fun horror platformer with cool graphics, which mostly requires you to solve simple puzzles and survive occasional escape action sequences. When I say 'platformer', it actually has a 3D presentation and some depth, but the structure is dominantly 2D with rooms to the right & left where you must often climb or sometimes get to another floor. You can interact with many objects in a physics sim-like environment. It's very well polished, varied, and convincing.

The controls are OK on K+M settings; I had to remap them a couple of times to be comfortable with them. The problem is that you need to constantly press on a key to remain crouched, run, or climb, so it can get annoying after a while, especially since you have to perform other actions at the same time. Overall, it's very satisfying despite a very few frustrating puzzles that rely on agility alone or repetition until you understand what the game's expecting from you.

There's no real story. You stumble through the rooms of a strange boat as a tiny child who tried to escape while avoiding the bad guys. There are some slightly disturbing horror scenes, but nothing over the top. In fact, it's a curious and unique mix of innocence and horror.

It's currently 5 € on Steam, which is a pretty good deal. The full price of 20 € is fair if you intend to replay it a few times. I think I'll grab the sequel. A 3rd installment should release this year, though it's made by a different studio.

Last edited:
Yesterday I finished I Am Setsuna, and a great game it was, indeed. I wrapped up two missing side quests and found one last named guy after I went through all the ruined areas. All in all a game I thoroughly enjoyed and one I know that will be replayed in the future.

I am playing an old classic Castlevania symphony of the night, which I for some reason never got to play. I am surprised by how amazingly good it is. Puts many modern games to shame.

Back
Top Bottom