WotR LOL the statues [SPOILERS] (Wrath)

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

lackblogger

SasqWatch
Just LOL at the statue puzzle when you're clearing out the Grey whatsit stronghold in act 1.

The one where you have to convert some crusaders who are being seduced by a Succubus and there are 6 statues with on and off switches (labelled as open and close for some reason).

They all make a different sound. Which is apparently a red herring. LOL, red herrings. LOL.

It's a puzzle where you have to stop and think for ages in a section of the game where you know you're on a timer for your buffs to run out. LOL.

The statues don't say who each one is of, you have to have a strong memory of a specific optional quest from possibly days ago where you might or might not have even bothered to look at something. LOL.

So you stand there with the book in your hand which gives you the answers, but as completely at a loss as to which buttons to press as if you didn't have the book with the answers. LOL.

Am I supposed to be taking pen and paper notes of everything I encounter? Is this a theme of the game or just some random unthought out nonsense that is unusual?

Have they added HARDCORE (LOL) puzzling as 'optional' content along with everything else 'optional'?

Owlcat puzzles vary widely in quality.

I do appreciate that they don’t try to make them easy—like most game’s puzzles are—but I would appreciate if they looked at the big picture more often. Same can be said about some of the battles in that game too; they go on too long.

I haven’t played Rogue trader yet but I do see a lot of growth in this aspect between kingmaker and wotr.

Owlcat puzzles vary widely in quality.
I usually prefer clearing all contents in game but I did give up on one in Kingmaker (mirror puzzle in HATEOT). I don't think puzzles are Owlcat's strength lol so I didn't bother with any in Rogue Trader.

As a mathematician I like hard puzzles, if you solve them with logic. But if hard means: You need to combine random things without any logical reason, then I ignore them. The description @lackblogger has given, confuses me completely. Since I didn't play the game, I can't judge, whether the confusion is in the puzzle design or in the design of lackblogger's post. ;)

Since I didn't play the game, I can't judge, whether the confusion is in the puzzle design or in the design of lackblogger's post. ;)
It's more latter than the former lol.

Basically, the puzzle expects you to know the famous figures in the game. There is a book that gives you hint on what order you need to interact with statues of the famous figures to solve the puzzle, and each statue only displays description of what they look like - i.e. the puzzle expects you to match the name of the famous figure & what they look like (are they human/angel, what weapons do they use etc).

I wasn't familiar with any of them in my 1st playthrough so I had to rely on trial and error myself. There was complaints from players that there should be more clue, so Owlcats added a bell tune(?) when you click on each statue - if you click them in correct order, the bell tune goes up / increments (like do re me fa sol la ti do etc).

You can also ask for solutions or more hints from players like me rather than going off tangent rant like lackblogger ;)

Hint: pay attention to the ghostly figures / paintings you encounter at the Estrod tower in Act 1 - click on their descriptions and take a screenshot :)

Last edited:
Well I think the description of a tangent rant is a bit over the top as well.

There's an awful lot at play with regards to this puzzle that is going to be extremely hard to put into words, least of all words that can help visualise the situation for someone who hasn't played it.

This is a locked-in dungeon. It's essentially a gauntlet of combat scenarios you have to go through with little else in the way of gameplay.

So, first off the bat, it's a remarkably odd place for a puzzle like this that requires a complete change of mind-set.

More complex puzzles in this kind of RPG are normally in some way separated from the gauntlet stage of a game. Though this isn't a complex puzzle, as noted by purpleblob above.

When you first encounter the puzzle it seems to suggest it has something to do with what's happening in the room. As if there's some way to effect the charming ceremony that's going on.

Spoilers, it isn't. It is, in fact, just an over-elaborate way of opening a secret door to some loot. Which would be fine, if it was some optional area you suble upon, etc, but this is stuck right in the middle of a combat gauntlet where protective spells all have timers.

Id did actually try to solve it with the sounds, the bings, but I used up my trial and error time going from highest pitch to lowest pitch, LOL. Such is life.

When I googled the puzzle, the site I found said the bings were a red herring:

"While exploring the first floor, players may encounter a seemingly musical statue puzzle, similar to the other puzzles across Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. This is somewhat of a red herring, as the musical notes are a decoy and the real solution is in reference to the divine entities of Golarion."

When I went to this site I was trying to avoid everything spoilerish, I just wanted to know the names of the statues, which it has.

And I found it absolutely hilarious that the way to solve the puzzle 'properly' was to have taken notes during an 'optional' quest earlier in the game from a situation where literally nobody, ok, maybe 1 in 50,000, would have made any notes at that time.

So it's design is absurdly abstract, in the wrong place, and offers nothing effecting the surroundings you're in, just for a loot box. All while you're trying to get as much done as you can while your timed buffs are still up.

It's no surprise people complained originally, and I guess it's no surprise that the 'fix' that was put in place, the bings, are just as equally nonsensical, lol.

Thanks for the lovely offer purpleblob, but when I'm gaming I'm usually churing through and I only resort to hints if I'm Immediately in need of something. But I shall bare you in mind for the future should I have any queries left at the end my session that can easily wait a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom