Fallout 3 Major Fallout 3 info leaked from Game Informer!

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Cut and pasted from "No Mutants Allowed" forum.

The July issue of Game Informer, which has Fallout 3 as the cover story, hits shelves on June 18th; subscribers receive their issues a few days earlier. Sallokin on the NeoGAF forums claims to be in possession of this issue, and has been relaying information he says is from the magazine.
The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I'll list the high points

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

[. . .]

It doesn't say anything specifically about party members, but there's a section that talks about how integral NPC's are to the game, and that a lot of the progress in the game will be made via quests.

EDIT. A little caption under a screen shot says you'll be able to hire henchmen to help you out but this is definitely not a party based game. Also Bethesda confirms that there'll be a dog in the game.

[. . .]

As a matter of fact they do. The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.

Also, I just read a little caption.

Level cap is 20.

Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.

[. . .]

It is XP based. Most of your XP comes from quests.
Keep in mind that there is no confirmation on this information, it may be entirely false.

Everything sounds great except for the bit about not having a group. I would hope that may change in the future.

Sounds interesting ... but it is really hard getting so much hype so early on ...

Bethesda are experts at hyping, so I am going to wait and see before I believe any of this. Still, it does sound a whole lot better than I expected. Then again, so did Oblivion back in the days.

I'm more hopeful than I have been, but let's all wait awhile!! :)

IF you are feeling like you are hype-infected, just repeat the word "radiant AI" ten times aloud :)

Did anyone think about that actually?!? How in the name of all that is real can you shoot a rat in the groin? (except by picking the rat up and shooting it ?)

Disclaimer : No rats have been hurt or taken from their natural surroundings (sewers) to demonstrate the above-mentioned fact.

well, if you were in combat with a particularly ferocious rat and he felt cornered, he very well may rear up on his hind legs like a little bear or something, then youd have a clear shot. I had a hamster that got out once, and we found him squaring off against the cat in the hallway, making his last stand all reared up like that. Was a sight to behold, violently chattering and making all kinds of weird hissing sounds, would have been a good video.

Back
Top Bottom