Mass Effect: Andromeda - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Stuff.tv has reviewed Mass Effect: Andromeda:

Mass Effect: Andromeda hands-on review

Space’s greatest action-RPG is back - but can it live up to the original trilogy?

Ask anyone who played it and there’s a very good chance they’ll tell you the Mass Effect trilogy was the best action/role-player. Ever.

See, Mass Effect had it all: a gripping story, enthralling character relationships, a thoroughly believable narrative - and, of course, fast-paced combat interactions. Just don’t mention the ending.

When news broke at E3 2015, then, that a fourth installment - Andromeda - was inbound, the reaction was predictably one of serious excitement.

Now, almost two years and several delayed launchers later, a return to space is just weeks away.

Want to know what’s in store? We got hands-on with Mass Effect: Andromeda at EA’s HQ. Here’s everything we learned.

[...]
Besides the depth of character interaction, there’s also a refined class system - and, while you choose some aspects at the start, you’re not defined by these abilities indefinitely: character and class traits can be amended and tweaked throughout the game, adding layers of customisation to suit the situation faced.

This also makes Andromeda a highly accessible game, which players can choose to skim the surface of or, more likely, burrow right down into, exploring the facets of each skill, ability and weapons upgrade. How you feel about that will depend on the way you play the game, but the beauty lies in the fact that casual players can choose never to investigate their character further, essentially playing in default, while those interested can spend hours searching for the best ways to develop their skills.

Combat is similar, too, with the ability to play at a high level, deploying weapons, blasting baddies and moving on - or upgrading items and revolving through the large cache of tools and weaponry on offer in order to make the best of the situation.

[...]
More information.

Misleading title for me... I thought it was an actual review but according to their article:

In the couple of hours we spent hands-on with Mass Effect: Andromeda...

Still worth a read I guess - just not a proper review. They also talk about the size of the universe and how much bigger it is and all the things to explore. I'm not certain if I should be happy or nervous that they could draw such a conclusion in only two hours of gameplay.

They also talk about the size of the universe and how much bigger it is and all the things to explore. I'm not certain if I should be happy or nervous that they could draw such a conclusion in only two hours of gameplay.
Well, my guess is that the size of the universe can be guessed by looking at the in-game map.
Or... they just talked to the devs ;)

Yeah, it's just another preview, probably from the same event as the one we saw earlier. Also, I wonder if this has been confirmed to them by a developer (I suspect it has):
It’s not a sandbox title, mind: despite their size, the worlds all retain a role in the narrative

I was not aware of that. Doesn't have to be a bad thing though.

A preview and not review it is. But still, I went to see what's it about…
Regardless of what you made of the trilogy’s finale, it was always going to be hard for developer BioWare to build a new game based around decisions you made on a previous console
Stopped reading there.

How you feel about that will depend on the way you play the game, but the beauty lies in the fact that casual players can choose never to investigate their character further, essentially playing in default, while those interested can spend hours searching for the best ways to develop their skills.
So basically character development doesn't matter.

How you feel about that will depend on the way you play the game, but the beauty lies in the fact that casual players can choose never to investigate their character further, essentially playing in default, while those interested can spend hours searching for the best ways to develop their skills.
Probably.

There is no system that works well for casuals but also gives deep and complex options for others unless those options end up giving just small mostly pointless buffs.

The hell with it. I preordered it on Green Man Gaming for 20% off ($48). I read a hands on preview saying it was not DAI in space, which was my main concern. So if you are buying it anyway, head on over to Green Man and at least pay less for your Origin key.

I do not like when my participation in side quests have no bearing on the main mission. What I like is for those who want to play on easy mode can skip side quests and thus not level up their characters, and on easy mode finish the game without a problem, but for those who want to play on harder-than-average mode finishing side quests gains great benefit (or is necessary).

In other words, if you just want to play the main story then play it on easy mode.

Probably.

There is no system that works well for casuals but also gives deep and complex options for others unless those options end up giving just small mostly pointless buffs.

Which is why I advocate for options. Difficulty options, modes, and even slider sets and advanced a la carte options could go a long way to helping to please both crowds.

As hardcore CRPG players we should be asking for more options, especially in games like this. Being able to tailor the game to your tastes would allow more people to get a higher level of enjoyment out of it.

Some key words were spoken. Consoles. Casuals. 'Nuff said :).
Which is why I advocate for options. Difficulty options, modes, and even slider sets and advanced a la carte options could go a long way to helping to please both crowds.

It's all Todd's fault. :D I still remember when he said, for the first time, Be whoever you want, play however you want. Somebody wasn't paying attention at uncle Ken's classes. :)

Last edited:
The game will have five difficulty levels, from Narrative to Insanity. As for levelling up, I'm assuming that Andromeda will function like the earlier games, where you can either spend your ability points yourself or have the AI do it for you.

A lot of gaming sites posted "hands-on" previews from that event. PC Gamer has their preview listed on their hub: http://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-andromeda-news/

(Latest news: softcore Mass Effect with full nudity. Everything you never wanted to know about the Krogans!)

That preview also confirmed that full respeccing is possible (for credits). That basically means that you can try out every single build/ability with one character. Meh.

More I read about ME4, more I'm driven to that reaction.

I'll buy one of these and send to Bioware:
Compass.jpg

That preview also confirmed that full respeccing is possible (for credits). That basically means that you can try out every single build/ability with one character. Meh.

So could you in ME2/3, you reset the skill points allocation and bonus power(s) selected via the medbay and you get enough points in a single playthrough (to level 30) to max everything but one skill line.

There is a huge difference. Games in ME trilogy had level cap and you couldn't be jack of all trades master of them all. ME4 doesn't have cap and unless XP doesn't scale (too high character, no XP gain from trashmobs for example) you can make your character a godlike creature.

Will there be any reasons to replay ME4? So far all "news" that came from social network crap platforms state that ME4 contains postgame content. Means, you're not done when you're done, you're expected to continue playing and make an overpowered creature. You destroyed collectors, solved rippers threat, no, it's not the end, now you receive some chores or something. Smells like a rubbish MMO.
Or Bioware thought if the audience said ME3 ending sucks, it doesn't mean what it means, but they most probably believe it means the audience wanted not to have ending at all. Now, with no ending, noone will say ending sucks, all critics can say is that postgame isn't good, but that's not as strong slap as the pathetic ending remark.

So could you in ME2/3, you reset the skill points allocation and bonus power(s) selected via the medbay and you get enough points in a single playthrough (to level 30) to max everything but one skill line.

Yes, but if you're an Adept, you won't suddenly get access to Biotic Charge. MEA is basically as if the med-bay respec also respecced the class.

You mean as if you're carrying a portable medbay on your back. Hollywood's desired future, a portable medrobot that'll do boobs resize anytime during filmmaking.

I personally don't see much of a difference betweem unlocking everything in ME1/ME2/ME3 in under 60 levels and MEA requiring over 123 levels to do it. MET required a new games + to achieve and MEA most probably also requiring one.

Nothing is forcing you to use the respect feature if you don't like it. Nor is the game forcing you unlock everything in a single playthrough. But then I'm the type of player who doesn't use respec and often leave skill points unused because I got everything I wanted already.

Back
Top Bottom