Mass Effect: Andromeda - The Largest and Best of the Series

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
With lack of news on the new Mass Effect game Andromeda, even a tweet is perhaps interesting enough. BleedingCool spotted (and Eye infomed us of) the tweet from Senior director of creative development Alistair McNally, stating that the game will be the largest and best of the series.

Spent today reviewing creative progress on #MassEffectAndromeda. I believe it to be the best (and certainly largest) Mass Effect ever! #Hype
More information.

A dev hyping is own game, I'm not surprised.

I'm also not surprised MEA will be larger than the previous games in the series, that's not that hard (well maybe not ME1 if you count all the generated planet maps, but ME2 and 3 barely had tiny maps).

I'm sure it'll be the largest.. in terms of hype. :)

It's difficult for me to get excited about a new Bioware game nowadays. They were my favorite developer at one point, but it's been too long since they created anything that I truly enjoyed.

I can't help but being on the hype train in 1st class. :)

I am probably in the minority but i thought that the series was getting worse with each sequel. To me Mass Effect was THE best, Mass Effect 2 was worse than the first (although good) and ME 3 was the worst of them all.

Bioware games have a very specific writing style, always going for the "epic" dialogues/lines which i really learned to dislike, especially in Mass Effect 3 which had the most cliche lines i have heard.

I really like the universe they created though so i'm hoping that the next one will indeed be the best.

I am probably in the minority but i thought that the series was getting worse with each sequel. To me Mass Effect was THE best, Mass Effect 2 was worse than the first (although good) and ME 3 was the worst of them all.

I feel the same way with the only difference being that I enjoyed ME3 a little more than ME2. The first game was definitely the best for me though.

ME1 first part of game is like standard RPG… then it goes more to the arcade-action style later, me to hated 2nd part most! combat was a bit batter but game was liner arcade, nothing more! with good story and characters but that is no RPG for me

Bioware is killing exploration, with all new games its all about some cliche story and linearity!

So long as we get to have sex with aliens, I'll be satisfied.
There, I've said it. :p

Series peaked with the first game, and drove off the moon with the 2nd, and flew into the sun with the third. They should do something truly productive with the budget for this mess, like feed some homeless peeps.

The tweet constitutes entropy rather than information, really, unless you forgot, perhaps, that the next Mass Effect game will be called "Mass Effect: Andromeda". (Like me, due to a huge backlog of unplayed games given a severe lack of time to play.)

Well, I really liked Dragon Age Inquisition - even if it got tiring at length. I'm a huge sci-fi fan and I loved the first Mass Effect.

So, I guess there's a chance this will be good - though I'm finding their design approach underwhelming and it seems like they're trying to hit the right notes according to customer feedback more than their own genuine vision.

Unlike Bethesda, I don't think Bioware really has much of a vision - except perhaps for the whole companion/lovestory crap.

To me, that's a bad way to design a game - and it means you'll be developing with less passion. Doesn't mean the game won't be good, though, it just means it'll feel somewhat less genuine and more designed-by-committee.

I guess time will tell.

No thanks. I'm tired of Bioware trying to produce the RPG-version of a walking-simulator and compensating for it by stuffing in really stupid, child-like relationships and "sex scenes" that they're praised for as if it is something more than card-board quality relationship stuff.

Blah blah... they're saying the same crap about every annual CoD or AC remake, too, "omg it will be the best CoD/AC evaaaahhhhh!!!11". Totally pointless and retarded hype mongering.
Make the game and then I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes (i.e. spoilerfree YT reviews/LPs) since reviews can not be trusted with anything EA/BioWare.
However, after the very underwhelming conclusion of ME3 my interest in the series is at a level where a possible GOTY edition of Andromeda is going to have to be on sale for €9.99 for me to even consider it. Maybe €19.99 max if there is a HUGE consensus all over the net that it is indeed the best ME ever.

I certainly remember the public Bioware consensus that Mass Effect 2 was their best game ever ;)

I believe it was the first game they released that had been developed under EA - from start to finish?

What a coincidence.

Then came DA2 and ME3 - so obviously EA had the right idea, right? Cough!

Yep. I played the series back to back and it is without a doubt scientifically objectively correct that Mass Effect 2 was definitely the best part of the series :biggrin: . I'm not alone in that assessment as you noted correctly. The "public" seems to agree for the most part (PC Gamer, Straw Poll, Gamespot Forums, The Escapist, GameFaqs).

As for whether they made the game under EA or while lying under their wives in bed at home, I don't really care. All that matters to me is the end result.

Yep. I played the series back to back and it is without a doubt scientifically objectively correct that Mass Effect 2 was definitely the best part of the series :biggrin: . I'm not alone in that assessment as you noted correctly. The "public" seems to agree for the most part (PC Gamer, Straw Poll, Gamespot Forums, The Escapist, GameFaqs).

As for whether they made the game under EA or while lying under their wives in bed at home, I don't really care. All that matters to me is the end result.

That's not what I said.

They said it was their best game EVER - not just in the Mass Effect series.

As for what the masses think - I'm sure you think that validates your own opinion.

That's not how I work, though.

They said it was their best game EVER - not just in the Mass Effect series.

Oh I see. Well, I guess that they are entitled to their opinion as well. They aren't that far off in my opinion either...
I'm not a fan of their classic games at all so from the BioWare games that I have played I would say it'd be a pretty close contest between ME2 and DAO. I enjoyed them both about equally.
As for time spent, SWTOR wins by a landslide for me but that's more due to the nature of a MMO, of course, and not necessarily indicative of the game's quality.

Oh I see. Well, I guess that they are entitled to their opinion as well. They aren't that far off in my opinion either…
I'm not a fan of their classic games at all so from the BioWare games that I have played I would say it'd be a pretty close contest between ME2 and DAO. I enjoyed them both about equally.
As for time spent, SWTOR wins by a landslide for me but that's more due to the nature of a MMO, of course, and not necessarily indicative of the game's quality.

To each his own :)

I think NWN, KotOR and BG are in close competition as best Bioware game.

That said, I think ME2 is possibly the smoothest and most technically competent production I've seen from them. Game was slick as hell and looked great.

Too bad they took out much of the mystery and streamlined features instead of evolving them.

It doesn't help that I didn't care much for the story or the characters. To me, it felt like an endless series of corridor combat encounters with predictable moments of NPCs trying hard to be cool or extreme in some way, in typical Bioware fashion.

Much better than ME3, though.

SWtOR is pretty bad, overall, but I liked their approach to party-interaction during quests. That was probably the only thing I recognised as a step forward in the entire production. The story-telling was good for an MMO, but merely average at best for a Bioware game.

Back
Top Bottom