New Star Wars movie gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Just read a short review from halfdisappointed local journalist in newspapers (on actual paper).
A short, but mentions some stuff noone else did.

I remember SW 4, 5, 6 and 1. I remember that the whole thing is RPGish. "From zero to hero", slowly, steadily, experience gathering, levelup. I remember Yoda. I remember Luke not becoming godlike in a second.

Apparently, SW7 ditched RPG and transformed the game movie into consoley dumbed down action only rubbish. Apparently, there is no skill development anymore. All you need to do now, unlike it's predecessors, is to grab a lightsword an you're instantly skilled with it you can beat a group of 10 Bruce Lees without a sweat.
Even Marvel and DC wouldn't dare to do something like this in their worst superhero comics.

Is this true?

One thing more. I remember watching SW1 and days after it's premiere everyone (except maybe me over here) was talking only good stuff about it. When heads cooled down, when pink glasses wore off, a month after, everyone turned around stating while it's not superbad definetly sucks in more things than it does good, and is totally inferior to SW4-6.
Will SW7 end up the same way? Blind praises now, objectivness later?

I guess you had no choice but to be with Moriendor because how can you be with anyone else when you quite obviously didn't even read anyone else. In answer to the false-point you raise here, please feel free to read the already written replies to it.

And, no, you don't need to read all the expanded universe to know what's going on, I and many others were able to cope with the rather obvious hints the movie gave as to why the point emerged that you mentioned. So weak. So… so weak. It really does sadden me that the movie's score will be being false-ding'ed by falsehoods :( People get so up in arms about paid reviews, to which I support their arms, but amazing how it's often the very same people who don't hesitate to shovel equally dishonest reviews when it suits them. No wonder it's so hard to find honesty on-line :(

You see, you've confirmed my entire point there chap. It shouldn't need explaining on a forum, by fans or anywhere other than in the film itself.

How is this falsehood? It's my honest opinion. I didn't enjoy it very much. Good second 1/4 but overall a film which was a let down.

Just read a short review from halfdisappointed local journalist in newspapers (on actual paper).
A short, but mentions some stuff noone else did.

I remember SW 4, 5, 6 and 1. I remember that the whole thing is RPGish. "From zero to hero", slowly, steadily, experience gathering, levelup. I remember Yoda. I remember Luke not becoming godlike in a second.

Apparently, SW7 ditched RPG and transformed the game movie into consoley dumbed down action only rubbish. Apparently, there is no skill development anymore. All you need to do now, unlike it's predecessors, is to grab a lightsword an you're instantly skilled with it you can beat a group of 10 Bruce Lees without a sweat.
Even Marvel and DC wouldn't dare to do something like this in their worst superhero comics.

Is this true?

That to me is a great analogy.

You see, you've confirmed my entire point there chap. It shouldn't need explaining on a forum, by fans or anywhere other than in the film itself.

How is this falsehood? It's my honest opinion. I didn't enjoy it very much. Good second 1/4 but overall a film which was a let down.

It's a falsehood because I stated you didn't need to read it in the forum, the very post you quoted explains the point you've raised, but you're simply refusing to acknowledge it - you're being dishonest...

Solid movie enjoyed it a lot. Would be a 10/10 if you never saw the first trilogy. I will give it an 8/10. Whoever said that the effects were just ok is on crack and take your hate speak somewhere else :) Movie looked fantastic and the new characters were pretty good.

If Billy Dee Williams was in it then it would have been a 10/10 no matter if you saw the originals or not. :) How can you have a new black character and not bring back Billy Dee? That is some racist ass shit!!! :rolleyes:

It's a falsehood because I stated you didn't need to read it in the forum, the very post you quoted explains the point you've raised, but you're simply refusing to acknowledge it - you're being dishonest...

Explain it to me then, what have I missed which explains Reys actions? How on earth did she know how to use a Jedi mind trick when she'd never seen or even heard of it before?

Explain it to me then, what have I missed which explains Reys actions? How on earth did she know how to use a Jedi mind trick when she'd never seen or even heard of it before?

Seeing the vision when she grabbed Luke's lightsaber shot the force right into her. Do you even pay attention when you go to movies Falksi :) Like ohhh my Godddd

Seeing the vision when she grabbed Luke's lightsaber shot the force right into her. Do you even pay attention when you go to movies Falksi :) Like ohhh my Godddd

That's fairly awful mate lol. It goes against the entire original trilogy's explanation of what the force actually is - a natural essence which can be harnessed by some. Not injected by contact with a light saber like some steroid.

Sorry, but if that is the case that actually cheapens the whole thing even more for me.

Sorry, but if that is the case that actually cheapens the whole thing even more for me.

Of course it does, you've got an opinion to push, a made and blushing face to save. Whatever someone says to refute anything you've said will no doubt be qualified by "well that's even more retarded then" because, heaven forbid, you can't simply say "Ooooh, I never thought of that, maybe they could have made that clearer" - to which you would have a valid point, but, bare in mind, that plot-twist is actually intentionally withheld from the audience in order to instill an unresolved plot-point to make you interested in seeing the next one - a fairly standard and normal plot device, which, to be fair, is fairly obvious to most who watch it. Perhaps they could have dumbed it down a bit more and really spelt it out for the lower IQs - fair point? ;)

Of course it does, you've got an opinion to push, a made and blushing face to save. Whatever someone says to refute anything you've said will no doubt be qualified by "well that's even more retarded then" because, heaven forbid, you can't simply say "Ooooh, I never thought of that, maybe they could have made that clearer" - to which you would have a valid point, but, bare in mind, that plot-twist is actually intentionally withheld from the audience in order to instill an unresolved plot-point to make you interested in seeing the next one - a fairly standard and normal plot device, which, to be fair, is fairly obvious to most who watch it. Perhaps they could have dumbed it down a bit more and really spelt it out for the lower IQs - fair point? ;)

Your being a bit unfair here chap. I'm just expressing an honest opinion, and any response I post is just that.

I've no agenda or bias. If I've missed something please point it out to me. I'm open to viewing the film again with said things in mind.

Now, as I asked, what did I miss which explained the Jedi mind trick?

Your being a bit unfair here chap. I'm just expressing an honest opinion, and any response I post is just that.

I've no agenda or bias. If I've missed something please point it out to me. I'm open to viewing the film again with said things in mind.

Now, as I asked, what did I miss which explained the Jedi mind trick?

I repeat for the fourth time, the question you ask has already been answered, in a reply to someone you supposedly had the time to read.

*post-padding space bar*

You're free to have your opinion. I'm simply questioning the facts of your opinion which you raise as reasons for your opinion, which are wrong. You can still admit they are wrong and have your opinion, but simply refusing to even read why you're wrong is something else.

*post-padding space bar*

*ANOTHER post-padding space bar*

It's explained on page 2 of this thread which you're killing with spam while you refuse to read page 2.

I repeat for the fourth time, the question you ask has already been answered, in a reply to someone you supposedly had the time to read.

*post-padding space bar*

You're free to have your opinion. I'm simply questioning the facts of your opinion which you raise as reasons for your opinion, which are wrong. You can still admit they are wrong and have your opinion, but simply refusing to even read why you're wrong is something else.

*post-padding space bar*

*ANOTHER post-padding space bar*

It's explained on page 2 of this thread which you're killing with spam while you refuse to read page 2.

Not the "already trained by Luke, but memory wiped" explanation?

That's way to vague. The average viewer wouldn't have even considered it. There's nothing to really add weight to that in the film. An odd scene very open to interpretation.

Also, I'm asking a genuine question to which I can't find an answer for. Please stop turning this from a friendly debate to some type of arguments with comments about what am/aren't doing. Whatever our viewpoints, there's no need to turn it into something it's not.

Well… the 'average' viewer wouldn't actually care that much, the 'average' view is either 10 years old or a mommy/daddy age who's just so relieved to see a proper Star Wars movie that they wouldn't have cared if the plot involved a rectal examination of Jabba the Hut's grandad.

The 'above avergae' viewer would be happy to put that plot-twist down to a future plot-point.

I guess some people

Like to use is it as an excuse

To criticise the movie, and the only category left available is 'below average'. Sorry about that :eek:

Well… the 'average' viewer wouldn't actually care that much, the 'average' view is either 10 years old or a mommy/daddy age who's just so relieved to see a proper Star Wars movie that they wouldn't have cared if the plot involved a rectal examination of Jabba the Hut's grandad.

The 'above avergae' viewer would be happy to put that plot-twist down to a future plot-point.

I guess some people

Like to use is it as an excuse

To criticise the movie, and the only category left available is 'below average'. Sorry about that :eek:

So as I thought there's no real explanation as to Rey's powers. Just a vague assumption.

If by "vague assumption" you mean intentional dangled plot-twist that will get resolved as the series progresses, yes, if you mean "vague assumption" because you're too thick-headed to cope with this concept, no. You know, some people are actually complaining that this plot-twist is too obvious and using the "too obvious" as an excuse to dislike the movie... Would you thumb those people up and agree with them if the rest of their post followed your opinions?

@Jaz: Ah thanks :) . Well, maybe for the next movie Abrams would be so kind then as to provide a required reading list of EU publications before watching the movie? :biggrin: Or is he just going to keep on assuming that everyone has read up on everything?
Besides, I thought Disney/Lucasfilm had specifically determined everything EU to be non-canon?

Confusing, this is… ;)

I doubt most viewers read (or watched) anything related to the first and second trilogies to know what the hell happened in each 2+ years time skip between each movies. Six seasons of the Clone Wars…no thanks. I don't see why this trilogy is any different.

Disney/Lucasfilm determined that everything pre-acquisition of Lucasfilm that wasn't directly tied or mentioned in the movies and anime series (Clone Wars and Rebel) were Legends and that they would provide new canon extended universe material from now, focusing on the movies era. They re-canonized a lots of of pre-movies stuff in their new extended universe though. I'm greatly amused by Rataka Prime (Lehon) and Taris being canon already.

Right now Aftermath is mostly covering the few years after the Battle of Endor. There isn't any First Order in there yet. You get to see Cameron Poe's parents in action though.

Also, I didn't read any of the Aftermath stuff. I know about it because more hardcore fans mentioned them in the new SW movies spoiler forums.

If by "vague assumption" you mean intentional dangled plot-twist that will get resolved as the series progresses, yes, if you mean "vague assumption" because you're too thick-headed to cope with this concept, no. You know, some people are actually complaining that this plot-twist is too obvious and using the "too obvious" as an excuse to dislike the movie... Would you thumb those people up and agree with them if the rest of their post followed your opinions?

Lol. Sorry if I upset you. I seem to have touched a nerve.

Either way, "wait for the next movie" it's still a poor explanation.

Back
Top Bottom