New win10 update... What's happening?!

lmao, nah, just my tower, monitor and accessories.

I'll bet they won't close the free upgrades when they say they will.

It's going to happen anyway, sooner or later. Promising free upgrade they should constantly perform tests to see if Windows 7/8 can be still upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10. They don't want to look back at Windows 7/8 forever.

The longer you wait with switch from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 the bigger the gap is.

Well microsoft decided this week that my laptop must be updated to win 10. I mean I was typing work related paper and took a short break and went outside. Well when I got back, my windows was closing and getting ready for win 10 update…

Well now I'm a brand new win 10 user. The system is actually faster and I like the new interface (compared to win 8.1), but the way this happened… >:O This is not a proper way to treat your customers. I did not give permission for this and they gave no warning.

I will leave this very appropriate little thing right here:

magic-8-ball2.png

I saw "I, robot" earlier today. Those of you who have seen it probably understand why I post about it here where we discuss Microsoft's benevolent and gentle (hah!) way of forcing upgrade to number 10. It's for our own good.

pibbur who is happy with win10, but is on principle not happy with the way MS makes people upgrade.

I will leave this very appropriate little thing right here:

magic-8-ball2.png

My parents, who've done it the old fashioned way and just bought a new PC when Vista had finally become unbearable, are delighted by the fact that outlook doesn't mean outlook anymore and there's no way to easily transfer their 300 contacts from outlook to not-outlook.

The addys have been transferred to an excel spreadsheet, prompting the quote "well, this is much more complicated isn't it." ;)

I've just driven over to the Microsoft offices… unfortunately they've moved since I worked there, and I should have googled first, to the centre of town instead of the outskirts. I'm not driving to the middle of town during Friday rush-hour, I value my life more than venting my spleen.

Still, took the opportunity to buy some DVD-Rs and DVDRWs on the way home.

You know that you could probably manage to burn one DVD and boot a linux distro from their, or perform a boot from USB right ? Inside you could backup and sort out your disc.

Of course you'd need someone to put a portable linux on there for you first..... or you can do it yourself if you have access to another computer.

If you have a big HD.. it sounds painful to burn it all to DVD.

Not to worry, I've restored my PC to factory settings and am logging into my "new PC", lol. This PC was always just my rig for on-line browsing and watching media so there's really not much on here that's been lost. I saved (most) everything interesting to USB sticks a while back in readiness for an upgrade so there's no great loss. I'm currently having fun reinstalling chrome and office etc. And this is my first post using this PC since the restore :)

Thank heavens I didn't lose my minesweeper pic!

Minesweeper_zpsumxzoqnp.png

Upcoming in anniversary win10 update - activation troubleshooter!
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...indows-10-insider-preview-build-14371-for-pc/

This brilliant addition needs you to use Microsoft account and makes it easier to reactivate windows if you changed HDD or other hardware.
If you already used an MSA to log in to your activated Windows 10 Home or Pro device, your MSA will be automatically linked. You can use this MSA linked digital license to re-activate your Genuine Windows 10 device by running the Activation troubleshooter, if you run into Activation issues caused by hardware changes.

Yes you're reading this right. Why bother with the key, use Microsoft account instead, typing shorter password is better besides everyone wants to give their private data to Microsoft.
I mean, you'll be activating windows and retyping the key on daily basis.

My comment on this:
zQXUuyJ.jpg

After it worked for 2 months or so one of my win 10 "upgraded" installations started BSOD with DPC_Watchdog_Violation error :))

Until now did not had a problem with the drivers it had.. now it can't run with the newest version LOL

So I'm building a new computer and just wondering how everyone here aquires Win 10.(legally of course)
Also, should I make a new Msn account complete with Hotmail or will my old one do?

So I'm building a new computer and just wondering how everyone here aquires Win 10.(legally of course)
Also, should I make a new Msn account complete with Hotmail or will my old one do?
IIRC I went the upgrade path with an installed Windows 7 (or 8.1?). Downloaded Win10 manually, upgraded, made sure I got it activated, then deleted the whole drive again and did a fresh install of Win10. There are more than enough guides for the process online. Needed a few tries because the automatic upgrade didn't work at first for some reason (was maybe due to some BIOS settings).

MSN and Hotmail aren't necessary, but I think you'll need to create a "live" account (?). You can use your current or favorite email address for that though and the process can be skipped during installation. I also made sure to untick most or all of the privacy stuff. Like it as much as I liked 7; 8 and 8.1 reminded me of Vista somehow (slightly yucky), even with a classic menu replacement.

Apparently, new win10 installations should recognize your win7 or win8 key so upgrading is not necessary but you can do clean installation.
I didn't try it, I mean... All machines I did to win10 went only through upgrade process because people wanted not to lose their already installed whatever stuff.ž

hotmail is not necessary in any case. Microsoft account is needed only if you'll use Microsoft's services like onedrive. And you won't.

I am giving my old computer to my son so this will be a total clean install with no upgrade.
I am assuming I buy the program from Microsoft, download an iso and create either a bootable usb drive or a dvd. Right?

I am giving my old computer to my son so this will be a total clean install with no upgrade.
I am assuming I buy the program from Microsoft, download an iso and create either a bootable usb drive or a dvd. Right?

You can do that. I just bought it at a store on usb stick. Skip the download and iso. Burn.

That would be better. May I ask where you found a copy because all I am seeing is downloads even from my local stores?

Thank you. My Best buy has win 10 flash drives in the corner of the store

Back
Top Bottom