Personal things you don't need to know

Nut, try to cut back on the smoking and red meat and get 20 minutes of exercise a day. ;)

My own heart has had issues, so welcome to my world of a lifetime of medication.

Last edited:
No smokes, lots of exercise, but plenty of red meat :) My big problem is diet. I eat the wrong foods and consume massive amounts of caffeine. It wasn't unusual for me to drink caffeinated beverages from breakfast to bedtime.

Well I did all that and more. Cut back on the cancer sticks, lost some weight, but no major upheavals (or dietary changes), and my heart is back to normal. Need more exercise though.

Yeah, I have horrible genetics when it comes to heart stuff. Lots of heart issues in my whole family tree.

I'm out of the hospital. My heart went A-fib and they had to give me drugs to get it back in rhythm. It was beating 178 times a minute vs. the normal 60-ish. I get to take this nasty drug called Coumadin that stops blood clots, but makes you a bleeder. Fun!

WOW! Glad your out of the hospital. Please take care of yourself.

I had a-fib as well, heart rate around 200. They actually just shocked me back into rhythm and sent me home an hour later with some pills in case it ever happened again. Went back a week later for an echo and everything checked out good. That was about 2 years ago and no problems since.

Good luck and be well, nut.

I'm out of the hospital. My heart went A-fib and they had to give me drugs to get it back in rhythm. It was beating 178 times a minute vs. the normal 60-ish. I get to take this nasty drug called Coumadin that stops blood clots, but makes you a bleeder. Fun!

Amazing that Coumadin remains the go-to drug for that stuff - my dad got that after his heart attack ... 30 years ago!

A-fib is no joke, and I am glad you are OK. Both my brother and father have internal defibrillators in their chest to help with regulating heart rate after issues.

Good luck and stay healthy!

Amazing that Coumadin remains the go-to drug for that stuff - my dad got that after his heart attack … 30 years ago!

A-fib is no joke, and I am glad you are OK. Both my brother and father have internal defibrillators in their chest to help with regulating heart rate after issues.

Good luck and stay healthy!

Atrial fibrillation, like most atrial arrythmias is often tolerated fairly well, as long as the heart is otherwise healthy. But there is the problem with embolisms arising from thrombi in the atria, which, if they come from the left atria may cause stroke. Hence coagulation inhibitors, which in many cases is the only treatment. And yes, vitamin K antagonists like Coumadin (warfarin) is still the most commonly used drug.

While defibrillations is often used to stop an episode, AFAIK internal defibrillators are not normaly used with atrial defibrillation, they're more for handling dangerous ventricular arrythmias like ventricular fibrillation which is acutely life threatening.

pibbur who can't guarantee that his medical knowledge is completely up-to-date anymore.

I HATE FLIES!!!

pibbur who aren't comfortable with spiders either, but that's BESIDE THE POINT!!!

I've had two of those buzzing around me in my den. And evading my fierce attempts at striking them down. I got so fed up with one of them so I thrashed i!!!

There is of course the general rule when hitting flies: Don't aim at them, aim somewhat above them. But they seem to have adapted to that, despite what I'm told, that flies can't learn a thing.

pibbur who still thinks he's more intelligent than a fly.

I prefer opening a door or window and guide them out.
But if all my friendly attempts fail, and they insist on flying very near to me, I hit them in the air with a cloth. They never see that coming. One moment they are flying, the next moment they are dead.

Mosquitos are the only creatures I try not to spare. The electric flyswatter is pretty succesful with those nasty animals.

You know, I treat moths and crickets and scorpion bugs that way. But spiders and flies don't get the same treatment. Strange now that I think of it. :)

my gf and me are at each other's throat over our upcoming holidays in the Netherlands. It's quite the hassle when you're living in the most remote backwater of your country to even get to where you need to be to catch a flight or train to another country. That and finding suitable private lodging within less than a week in August isn't quite that easy either. Someone saw fit to cancel my booking about 30 seconds before I wanted to confirm it, saying he got another direct booking he can't quite explain. :(

my gf and me are at each other's throat over our upcoming holidays in the Netherlands. It's quite the hassle when you're living in the most remote backwater of your country to even get to where you need to be to catch a flight or train to another country. That and finding suitable private lodging within less than a week in August isn't quite that easy either. Someone saw fit to cancel my booking about 30 seconds before I wanted to confirm it, saying he got another direct booking he can't quite explain. :(
Where are you going, which city/part of the country and where exactly are you coming from? - if you don't mind me asking. :)

Do people in Europe go on holiday on the same weeks?

No. In Norway we go on holiday from the midst of June to the beginning of August (3-4 weeks), with July being the most busy holiday month. I think that's a bit earlier than in many european countries.

pibbur who when turning 60 was entitled to an extra holiday-week, the so-called old man's vacation (females get it as well).

Back
Top Bottom