Pillars of Eternity - How Kickstarter Saved Obsidian @ Kotaku

Did you finish the game?

Because the story (and lore) takes a whole different turn in the last "dungeon".

No, I quit at that point. I simply lost interest when I discovered the flaws - and every single combat was fought in the exact same way, with zero challenge.

I wouldn't say it was bad or anything, just not very motivating. It felt like I was walking a few steps - combat - then a few steps - combat, and so on.

There are a few things that I need to keep playing a huge RPG, and if it's not cool character progression (which PoE doesn't have) - it's usually a compelling story, and I just lost interest after that first large town.

Maybe the story takes a turn for the better, but again - I'm not good with text-driven dialogues.

It could be I just don't have the imagination or stamina for this kind of game anymore.

But I'm also a different kind of player than most of the Watch. I play MANY games - and I play many very different games. It takes a whole lot to keep my attention for more than a few dozen hours.

I agree with Dart on the story in PoE, I actually had a couple of hours in the middle when it was kind of meh. But to me it picked up again in the elf city, and the end is pretty good (luckily enough since the levels were maxed out already).

Oh, and I liked the companions and the setting (especially the magic system in theory) in DA:O well enough too, it was the lackluster skill trees and MMOish combat that turned me off. So finished it though, but after the first 15 hours it was more on principle than because I enjoyed it. I feel I got way more enjoyment put off PoE.

Back
Top Bottom