Gothic 3 Please post any news regarding patch #3 here.

I also prefer it that way. But PB made the conscious design decision to sacrifice depth for more freedom and a bigger world. They said they´re not 100% satisfied with the result and will revert the trend in the add-on though.

Chamr, I don't think that I could agree with you any more than I do. Your words express the crux of my ranting and complaints. Gorath, I find salvation in your news. Is there any word on how long it will take for the add-on to be developed? Will it sell as an expansion pack, or will it be released as a content update?

I second that. However I will support PB's honest efforts and experiments.

PB said they want to make a normal add-on, and maybe an add-in like NotR after that. Downloadable content has been ruled out.
I would expect the first add-on next October. The artwork book talks about add-ons (pl.), so I think it´s safe to assume G3 was so expensive that PB, JoWooD and Deep Silver want to cash-in on the technology more than just two times.

But PB made the conscious design decision to sacrifice depth for more freedom and a bigger world. They said they´re not 100% satisfied with the result and will revert the trend in the add-on though.

They really came out and said that? Wow. Impressive for a developer to be so forth-coming right after release. And flexible about future direction, as well. Cool.

PB could definitely make a smaller world and work on the quality instead. It really isn't any fun searching for some tools all over Myrtana :S . And G3 is full of such rubbish quests that only irritate you. In the end you are just confused and frustrated. G2 is a good example, it isn't near Oblivion by any characteristics and it's still an excellent game! You know exactly what, when and how you're supposed to do things (there are a few small quest buggs, but not nearly as irritating as in G3) and it's still full of surprises. Whilst G3 tryes to compete with Oblivion (why the hell? some of us already like G1/G2 better) and it just falls out buggy and unfinished. I don't know what they thought when they were making G3, but I would just like more of the same, like G1 and g2, and better, instead we just got a bit dull, laggy and buggy G3. I hope they can improve it a lot with patches.

That's why I always wait a few days before using a patch!! I like to get feedback from others!!

I don't know what they thought when they were making G3, but I would just like more of the same, like G1 and g2, and better, instead we just got a bit dull, laggy and buggy G3. I hope they can improve it a lot with patches.
I doubt PB will patch everything. There patch record for the older Gothics was okay but not really good.

Making "more of the same" is not attractive for a developer from an artistic standpoint. They want to move forward.

They really came out and said that? Wow. Impressive for a developer to be so forth-coming right after release. And flexible about future direction, as well. Cool.
They anwered more than 100 often very critical question of the WoG community. Most answers were very open and some included the things a community doesn´t want to hear (paraphrased): "we decided the time we would have needed for feature AAA was better spent on other things", "we made the conscious decision to change BBB", "it had already been delayed for a year, all involved parties decided to release now", "we didn´t have enough time to adequately finish features CCC to NNN", "OOO was not finished soon enough to be included in the game", "Including PPP would have cost us several man months for a neglectable positive effect".

A rough translation can be found on WoG.

My check version on my new US version says 1.08 something - but that is just checking the exe.

I just mailed Aspyr to ask about patch 1.09.

I just mailed Aspyr to ask about patch 1.09.

In the latest interview on the Aspyr site, in answer to the first question, Blaine C responds:
"Some great news for the patient North American fans though. The extra time has allowed us to implement all of the fixes and changes that are included in the first two European patches. When you buy the North American version of Gothic 3, just load up and play."

So that means US version is oatched thru 1.o8 only I would beleive.

Aspyr confirmed that the US version needs to be patched to v1.09.

JoWooD´s community manager wrote he expects to receive a release date and a fix list for the 4th patch within the next two days.

That's good news. I'm taking a short break from G3 to acquaint myself with NWN 2!! Why is it always feast or famine!! :)

JoWooD´s community manager wrote he expects to receive a release date and a fix list for the 4th patch within the next two days.

Very Good, just the info I was looking for (I was trying to be patient so
I could patch with the 4th one and restart the game rather than continue
with my current game but my resolve was wearing out :) )

Thanks Gorath.

I'm not surprised at all that seven days passed without a word about the next patch. It's so typical. I just wanted to know if I'll have to restart the game once it is out, but they couldn't even reveal that. Way to go...

I think devs should keep their mouth shut about patch dates, and just say that "it is ready when its ready". Promising delivery by a certain date will only cause frustration if there are delays, and there almost always are.

Patch content is another matter. Saying that "we have dealt with issue XXX" could, unlike giving out a date, actually help the patience of the community...

Back
Top Bottom