Polygon - Games are better without damsels to save

Does anyone happen to know her email address? I'd like to gift her a copy of The Witcher for Christmas. ;)

While I'm at it, I think I'll send a copy to Anita Sarkeesian too!

poos that is really out out the line. It is fine to disagree with peoples opinions but please keep respecting them as humans and individuals.

Does anyone happen to know her email address? I'd like to gift her a copy of The Witcher for Christmas. ;)

While I'm at it, I think I'll send a copy to Anita Sarkeesian too!

But you only get trading cards from the damsels in the Witcher :/

I think video games are singled out because they are niche…
I can't disagree more with that ! Video games a niche ? Are you serious or did I lost something in translation ? :)
Anyway, as someone here said, as long as the story's good in a game, it doesn't matter to me who's involved and why.

I can't disagree more with that ! Video games a niche ? Are you serious or did I lost something in translation ? :)
Anyway, as someone here said, as long as the story's good in a game, it doesn't matter to me who's involved and why.

Well for germany I'm not sure if they're niche but they definitely aren't on the same page as Movies and books.
It's pretty obvious when they go through our censorship bureau….excuse me, I mean voluntary/independent self control.
Movies and books get away with alot more than games, oh and comics.

Comics and games are also not considered an artform in that regard, meaning they have to censor stuff like Nazi Symbols where as books and movies don't have to.

I think she hurt Donkey Kong's feelings. He's taking his princess and going home…
ARCADE_donkey_kong_screen1.png

No, because it came from a time when games were about gameplay, not about story.
Players wanting story to be the focus in their "games" have taken up the stage and the mess is what it is now as in story, representation is so important.

Players bringing up games from Donkey Kong's era show their willingness to avoid about the connection between representations and story.

Dragon Age, The Witcher etc have little in common with Donkey Kong.

Statistically speaking your mom is much more likely to enjoy watching Liam Neeson movies than to play Bioshock or The Witcher.

Also, do you really think girls and guys play these games in equal number? Or that the vast majority of the demographic isn't found around college age players?

Lets not forget that one of the primary feminist voices here, Sarkeesian, was overhwelmingly met by a response from gamers for misrepresenting gameplay. How could she expect to get away with that misrepresentation unless her audience is not gamers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRSaLZidWI

So when I say that video games are niche, I am saying they are niche enough that they make easy targets for misrepresentation by agenda critics.

Lets not forget that one of the primary feminist voices here, Sarkeesian, was overhwelmingly met by a response from gamers for misrepresenting gameplay. How could she expect to get away with that misrepresentation unless her audience is not gamers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuRSaLZidWI

Actually, if you peruse the Youtube comments from that very good clip, the overwhelming commentary was not necessarily Anti-Sarkeesian. OTOH, I'm not sure how many of the comments came from Gamers.

I can hardly wait for the day when Holodeck technology is all the rage and then those anti pop media crusaders can get off my gaming back.

Actually, if you peruse the Youtube comments from that very good clip, the overwhelming commentary was not necessarily Anti-Sarkeesian. OTOH, I'm not sure how many of the comments came from Gamers.

If you are looking for a metric, the 23 to 1 like to dislike ratio by the nearly 500k viewers would be better guidance, and that's just one of dozens of response videos calling out misrepresentation with similar ratings. And then there's the fact Sarkeesian "had to disable voting and comments" in her critique because the response was overwhelmingly negative, but that's expected, when you fight the patriarchy! (aka gamers).

If you are looking for a metric, the 23 to 1 like to dislike ratio by the nearly 500k viewers would be better guidance, and that's just one of dozens of response videos with similar ratings. And the then there's the fact Sarkeesian "had to disable voting and comments" in her critique because the response was overwhelmingly negative.

Fair nuff. But clicking up or down takes no energy and I get a better overall feel for things when I can read actual voices.

But you'll make a little fuss about it first.

Of course, we're not very happy about being misrepresented for no good reason, so we'll point out how ridiculous and out of place most of these critiques are.

Wait till I tell Aubrielle about you naughty boys! She is my contact in feminist supremacist underground. Soon we shall bring about The Reckoning, and usher in the glorious Age of Sarkeesian.

Back
Top Bottom