Pool Of Radiance 2

Say it again brother!!!!!

And of course I've played and completed ToEE. Best turn based combat system ever devised.

It is clear to me however that the rest of you prefer console games ;)

Hey, even I think POR2 sucked, and I love the old-school turn based rpg's. I really liked ToEE for example, and I think it had the best implementation of the 3.5 rules that has been made yet. I felt the engine had a lot of promise, and I hoped for more made with it for a long time.

I did play POR2 for a while though and did enjoy it for the first hours. But in time the generic dungeons and endless battles became very tedious and I never got to finish it. I did get quite

Todd, i read your post over att ToEE fourm at Atari. You did some raving about POR2 and when i readit i realized. Man, I have to give this a shot again. I know I stopped playing approx, 40 hours in, i think i still have the save on my other computer. Must start looking for it! :)

Yeah I remember that post. I got ruined!!!! I still for the life of me can't understand how anyone could love ToEE and hate PoR2. Sure ToEE is better, but still...

Anyway... stand fast and keep the faith LOL! ;)

I still for the life of me can't understand how anyone could love ToEE and hate PoR2. Sure ToEE is better, but still...
Well ... now both are on my early-next year 'to play' list ;)

You've never played ToEE??? Oh man great game!

Of *course* I played ToEE ... I think, as you imply, that is what ruined PoR2 for me - I just saw no need to do it, since ToEE seemed better in every way. I had loaded up ToEE a few months ago, but ran out of time before the NWN2 / G3 fest began :)

So many games to play, so little times. I have reinstalled ToEE (found my discs! Yiah!). Patched it up, realized my widescreen monitor wasn't supported (yes, i know, but i forgot :) ). Tried it out some and decided. This is nice.

... and now it has almost gone a week.

Why do we have real life? Why oh why...

and to make matters worse:
It looks like i have to replay POR2 from start since i foolishly installed a beta version off Vista on my other computer. Forgot i zonked the hard drive for that.

Why o why am i not smarter?

It took me over 2 years to complete PoR2. I had save games going back to summer 04.

I might try it again soon myself! I get that itch occasionally, and I hear the violin combat music in my head all the time. Now that I think of it - I hear the techno ToEE combat music in my head too! And Baldurs! So there are plenty here just as crazy :)

Oh the list goes on...

So many games to play, so little times.

Play the Settlers or Cultures and it gets even worse !

They are greatly time-consuming !

Any game which takes 2 years to complete (the battles) has issues!! :)

Its true I took breaks when I couldnt "take it" anymore. The first 6 month vacation was when I reached the surface after the dwarven dungeons. I had had enough. Little did I realize that the last 50% of the game was 100% better and very story driven. Strangely, the game really doesnt get off the ground for the first 30-40 hours of gameplay.

I think that is one of the issues that killed it. If they had released a demo for the Drow catacombs people would have been impressed.

This part i have read everywhere that the game takes off once out of the dungeon makes me want to do it again. I got into a hub of some kind in my other game. Listen to some bard song, and then i felt it oozed quality over that one. And smiled. After that i took a break. And never went back. :(

The question now is how to play the game. Reading the official thread many people using two character play out using Paladin/Cleric and Rouge/Sorcerer, and only bring people along who needs to be along.

The battle is said to go faster. Don't know.

So, Todd, the one left fan of the game on this forum :), what do You think?

You know in the spirit of classic D&D I had a full party. In fact I had 2 mages in the back lines (elves), 2 Cleric women decked out in the best plate armor, a rougue, a ranger and a dwarven fighter. I did have to dump one cleric later to get the rogue. After 80 hours of gameplay! I felt really bad!

I like the strategic opportunities with a full party. Maybe that stetches the game out - but later you get in some epic battles that can take almost an hour to win - most of it staring at the 15+ opponents (many of the magic users) pondering your move. I LOVE that! In fact there were at least 5 battles that were as difficult as the Balor battle in ToEE (which actually took me 2 consecutive nights to defeat).

In addition, a two person party leaves you open to "hold person" which is a favorite of the higher level undead, Cultists and the Drow. If you get caught in that you're doomed for certain. You'll have to have some epic spell resistence.

Regarding this two person party - that wouldnt perhaps be Thrasher would it? I talk to that guy almost daily via PM. He's a serious powergamer - although I'm not sure he'd call himself one. He's pretty smart though - and finds various ways to exploit his opportunities in game. His two person party ended up at rediculously high levels.

Damn now I definately want to play!

Reading the review of NWN2 and as you pointed out Todd, they did take a swing at Pool of radiance. Not 2. Pool of Radiance. :) Most important to remember. I refuse to read a two where its not ment. I mean was i reading a review of NWN or NWN2. Hence, the review bashes POR. EOD!

Okey, just want you to know i have made some comment in the comment thread of the news you comment. Eh. :)

Anyway. Have been thinking of POR2 all day today. And i am installing it right know. I will make this my own project this winter to play it through. Knowing the game will change somewhat after the dwarven dungeons is incentive enough to do it again.

I agree with you. Powergaming isn't my way of playing. I want a party. I want to use strategy when playing and in POR2 it is really possible thinking and doing. (Yes i know you Nay sayers out there: "Thinking is all you can do in this game". Well i am smart, so there really isn't any problem :) )

Don't know who it is who wrote but it was mostly Geist and Rosinda(?) whos still writing in the official forums. But perhaps it was Trasher...

Will se what my party will look like... interesting combination you wrote about...

Don't make the mistake I did - get a Rogue in there early if possible. Let me know if you get stuck anywhere :) and for Gods sake don't forget the patch! Also, although I didn't try it, I know Thrasher used the speed patch and loved it. I'm guessing its very "undead" friendly.

Personally I loved the pacing.

Oh and another thing - I ran into some stability issues later in the game where there was some rendered spell effects - in that event right click on the exe and go to properties and select "Windows 98 compatibility mode". That was the solution :)

About the speed patch: I tried it out the last time, it wasn't for me. It removed everything about the the game I liked. I think i will do a party like this:

Paladin ( i always have a main character whos a paladin)
Cleric
Rouge
Sorcerer (or wizard, whatever).

It should work?

Good this is my standard DnD party. If i have room i usually adds a Warrior and a Priest. But this seems like a good blend.

Well, it looks like Roland Crossfarer has a new mission to fullfill! :)

Roland Crossfarer - I love it! Years ago I started using the name Gillian. Every game has Gillian reincarnate.

Back
Top Bottom