Pricewatch!

I've gotten 28 great free games from Twitch Prime in the past 4 months. Dealing with the Twitch client (which is very user friendly) is more than worth it.

It's also free with your Amazon Prime membership, so you get those benefits as well.

How does it work exactly? Do you receive Steam keys, or do you have to use some sort of Twitch client?

No steam keys, you have to use their client which is bit of shame but its "free" so thought might help someone. Also once you have it, you still get to keep the games even after the prime membership is expired. This is why you can sign up for 1 month free prime and get the games still.

I don't find the Twitch client particularly annoying, and free games are free games. And since I was mildly interested in Tyranny, I might even play one of them.

Turning down so many free games each month because you don't want to spend 15 seconds opening up a client seems foolish.

It would be foolish if your presumption was correct. However, it might not be as foolish as you think if your presumption is incorrect.

Turning down so many free games each month because you don't want to spend 15 seconds opening up a client seems foolish.

What presumption is incorrect? That you're turning down dozens of free games because you don't want to spend a trivial amount of time opening another client.

The client is complete garbage. It doesn't even let you decide where to install your games. It only let's you select any of your partitions and then it creates a folder for you, which you cannot change. What's worse, if you choose your system partition, it has to go to the program files folder. I don't want that. I want to install the game to my C:\Games folder.

As for the games, the only one I really want is Tyranny. The rest I either have or are indie games I have no interest in.

Little in this world is free.
If you can't see the price, you are the currency.

Well, I tried one of the games and surprisingly it's a GOG release. But, you don't get a key or any other means to connect it to GOG as far as I've seen. Now, that can be a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that you can ditch the Twitch client after installation. You can launch and play a game without it, and you can even move the installation anywhere you want (that could work, but could also lead to problems depending on the game). The bad thing is, your game is not actually tied to GOG and if some feature of the game requires GOG Galaxy client you can't use it. For example, the game I tried is Metal Slug 3. It has a multiplayer via internet option, as well as leaderboards, but those are tied to Galaxy so you can't use them. Good thing it still supports good ol' local multiplayer (well, it's an emulated game, of course it does). Anyway, if you can live without those features, you can have them without the awful client. If it works the same for all the games. Now I only hope I don't forget to cancel the subscription to the Twitch Prime before it bills me for the next month. It looks like it's one of those.

I wonder if that means you can download patches from gog and use them or if twitch will provide the updates or ....

Well, I tried one of the games and surprisingly it's a GOG release. But, you don't get a key or any other means to connect it to GOG as far as I've seen. Now, that can be a good and a bad thing. The good thing is that you can ditch the Twitch client after installation. You can launch and play a game without it, and you can even move the installation anywhere you want (that could work, but could also lead to problems depending on the game). The bad thing is, your game is not actually tied to GOG and if some feature of the game requires GOG Galaxy client you can't use it. For example, the game I tried is Metal Slug 3. It has a multiplayer via internet option, as well as leaderboards, but those are tied to Galaxy so you can't use them. Good thing it still supports good ol' local multiplayer (well, it's an emulated game, of course it does). Anyway, if you can live without those features, you can have them without the awful client. If it works the same for all the games. Now I only hope I don't forget to cancel the subscription to the Twitch Prime before it bills me for the next month. It looks like it's one of those.

I wonder if that means you can download patches from gog and use them or if twitch will provide the updates or ….

You can't download the patches from GOG since you don't actually own the game on GOG. You need the game in your GOG library to access download links for the game itself, goodies, and patches. It's just like you downloaded a game from a torrent site.

None the less the point I was making are:
a) Would gog patches work (curiosity - not relevant to myself since I don't intend to get twitch client)
b) how does twitch keep your games up to date (I suspect it doesn't).

You can't download the patches from GOG since you don't actually own the game on GOG. You need the game in your GOG library to access download links for the game itself, goodies, and patches. It's just like you downloaded a game from a torrent site.

None the less the point I was making are:
a) Would gog patches work (curiosity - not relevant to myself since I don't intend to get twitch client)
b) how does twitch keep your games up to date (I suspect it doesn't).

a) They should work. You get the same thing from Twitch as you would get from GOG.

b) I don't know that. It seems they have some kind of a deal with GOG, maybe they distribute the patches the same way GOG does.

Back
Top Bottom