Risen 3: Titan Lords - Review Roundup #2

As a died in the wool lover of Ultimas I HATED Ascension!!

Personally, I can't comprehend all the low scores it's getting. The game is being badly underrated imo, and the Metacritic score is joke - mostly due to all the juvenile trolls who felt the need to score it in the 0-4 range despite barely playing it.

In my 25+ years of gaming, I honestly can't think of another game that's less deserving of the scores it's getting.
JDR, with or without your blessing, I'll quote this elsewhere, like:
- Steam
- DS forum
- AngryJoe's youtube pathetic struggle with R3 video

As I feel the same.

random mutterings ensue:

Well, I've played Risen 3 longer than any other PB game, so something is working better this time around; at least for me. I'd rate the game a 7/10. Exploration is grand. Loot is average. Magic is fun once you finally get it. Combat is hideous and boring and there's way too much of it. The economy is just wonderful. You have decisions to make constantly about where to spend your gold and you never feel rich.

This is how I feel about the game after having fully explored the Crab Coast and I'm mostly done with the Mages and the Gnomes. I have a hunch I won't finish this game either as I'm not feeling the story at all. I could care less about the vapor-ish Titan Lords. The underworld is underwhelming and the whole dream sequence thing is dull as a butter knife. The arcade sections are also completely stupid on a pc. I hated the scene after getting my ship. Tedious as hell and it took me 20 minutes.

What keeps me going is the exploration and the economy/skill purchasing. I find both of these things to be very, very well done. I don't know if they're enough though. Time will tell.

@Joxer: If a woman is sucking cancer into her lungs, she is ugly. I've lost too many relatives to lung cancer and watching a person kill themself is never fun, so I'd pass on your lady friend. I don't go for tattoos or piercings either. I never took Mjoll or the hunter chick until I got the no scars/no tattoos mod going in the best game ever :)

Patty is fine, if they would have avoided making her the character's sister. I swear European devs can't make a female companion to save themselves. The thief in Two Worlds Two is the best effort so far, but she's mostly a love interest instead of a companion. Vilja is the standard and her dev is a female European. Somebody hire her to write a companion, please.

Last edited:
At least finish Kila - being a Voodoo Pirate is major fun :)
Best Isle for me so far.

I'm a mage, and I'm still having fun HiddenX. Its just there are 7/8 islands and I'm already getting a little tired of the arcade sequences and the combat. Not sure how much longer I can stomach that. I just need an awesome button for any of the twitch stuff. Can I do it? Yes. Do I ever want to? No. I love the gnomes, btw. I think they're cute and kinda remind me of Ewoks. I'd rather have Jaffar than Bones, except Jaffar robs corpses and you miss out on too much loot. I'm headed to Calador and Antigua on behalf of the mages. I definitely want to try voodoo magic at some point, so while I may never finish this game, I might play each of the factions by loading up previous saves before deciding on a path.

I'd have to say that Taranis was probably my favorite island. It reminded me of Faranga from Risen 1. Calador was great as well.

They're all pretty good though.

@crpgnut- You can ask Jaffar to give you whatever loot he's taken at any time.

@crpgnut- You can ask Jaffar to give you whatever loot he's taken at any time.

Yes, but he always just gives me gold. When we're skinning Lynxes, he should give me skins, not shinies. Still, you can think of him as a great looter because he seems to get more gold out of the treasure he picks up than I do. Jaffar might actually be worth more gold in the long run, but I don't have the patience to test this :)

crpgnut, honestly, you can't know what to expects around some corners as the story progresses and it would be a shame if you don't play the game long enough at least to meet Oracle.
Just to say… She'll answer on only three of your questions - NOT GAME RELATED. :D
Pick wise ones.

Risen 3 should be renamed into Underrated 3.

Yes, but he always just gives me gold. When we're skinning Lynxes, he should give me skins, not shinies. Still, you can think of him as a great looter because he seems to get more gold out of the treasure he picks up than I do. Jaffar might actually be worth more gold in the long run, but I don't have the patience to test this :)

Hmm.. I recall him giving me items other than gold when I asked him to. You're talking to him while he's in your party and not just on the ship, right?

How would you rate Gothic 1 or 2 then? I mean they were hardly perfect either and just like here ratings were mixed. Realistically Gothic 1-2 are probably in the 7.5 range, though we fans, who thinks those games really "hits the spot", obviously rate it higher (9 - 10 range).

I will rate even today with 8.5 G1 & G2 and it could be 9.0 if G1 was more polished and G2 not rushed in the end.
Risen games are more polished but they lack the unique setting and ambience and even the sufficient story, the Gothic games had.:)

Wow, I must say after a mediocre experience with Risen 2, Titan Lords is just what the doctor ordered, I'd rate this one even better then Risen one if it had shields, But it makes up for it big time in other ways. To me it has a very Gothic feel to it almost like a cross between Risen 1 and Gothic 2. Enjoying this one immensly!!

Back
Top Bottom