RPGWatch Feature: Arcania Review

Women were not equal in this world? Who cares, it's a game.

That's why I always wanted a game with in inverted social structure like in Gothic 1. ;)

Men are not equal in this world ? Who cares, it's a game ! ;)

Women were not equal in this world? Who cares, it's a game.
I wouldn't care if the game was historical. But now it's fantasy. If we can have ogres and mages we can have gender equality.

But we can also have diversity. It's enough if every other game has gender equality.

Since when does every other game have gender equality?

The only truly equal female protagonist I've ever played was Beyond Good and Evil. The protagonist wasn't some sexed up guys fantasy, but a true heroine.

There may be more, but they're certainly not in every other game.

Last edited:
Cool Heroines are in:
Venetica
Velaya - Geschichte einer Kriegerin (Gothic 2 Mod)
Beyond Good and Evil
A Dance with Rogues 1 & 2 (NWN 1 Mod)

Forgot about Venetica. Was playing last week too. You're right she reminds me of the heroine from BGE.

They made a heroine in a G2 mod? It wouldn't happen to have an English version would it?

The only truly equal female protagonist I've ever played was Beyond Good and Evil. The protagonist wasn't some sexed up guys fantasy, but a true heroine.

There have been strong female protagonists in nearly every RPG that lets you choose a gender. :)

And as for the "does it matter" comment, well, yes it does. Some female RPGers (even "hardcore" ones) won't play an RPG where they can't play a female character. Note that the reverse is also true.

For starters, there are many games where you can choose sex of your protagonist.
I guess that RPGs which are specifically/exclusively tailored for female protagonist are relatively rare because most of cRPG devs, as well as players, are male and also because male sex stereotypically fits better with the usual heroic business.
But protagonist "issue" aside, I think that most cRPGs represent gender quite equally as far as in-game societies are concerned and when they don´t, it´s usually indeed because they´re often modeled after medieval earthly layout, fantasy additions or not.
When it comes to Gothic series, I think the lack of women was quite justifiable in the first game and the second game managed to represent both genders quite appropriately, given the setting. It was only the third game which really dropped the ball on this aspect.

In before split no. 2, lol.

Last edited:
Nice balanced review, I might well give this a go. Not with the hopes that it'll be another gothic but it sounds entirely playable if I've got time.

You guys were talking about in game society and I was talking about the protagonists. I guess you're right if your talking just about the societies. They're all pretty much the same. Housewives and husbands who work for a living…..wait a minute. They all portray THE 50'S!!! *dramatic music*

Just having a little fun with you. I know it's difficult to do medieval settings any other way, but I just thought that whole gender equality thing was a little off especially since male protagonists rule the universe in video games. That's the thing that really bugs me. I wouldn't mind if they mixed it up a bit and had strong female player character that weren't Lara Croft lookalikes.

Ok seriously, I'm not going to be the cause of another derail so that's the last I'll say on that topic.

I think gender quality is very important, women play games alot now, and discrimination be it by gender or color should be a think of the past. Also in Fantasy RPG its ever more reason why, I dont see why anyone would think in a world with Elves, Ogres and Magic, its realistic to keep women down. But even in Mount and Blade which is suppose to be a historical simulation then a fantasy game where it is realistic perhaps, women are still fairly strong. Yes, its harder actually to play as a woman in Mount and Blade, I have no problem with this, but even being a medieval simulator you can end up with a all girl army. My own army had only female heroes and a tons of female mercenaries, which is good they had such considerations in the design of the game.

But as to games where the norm is female domination, I dont think any exists but I remember a fun part of Baldur's Gate 2 where you visit the underdark and women rule there, which was very amusing, at least for women. But I imagine most guys would not like that, which is my point that equality is important, if men were put down, and treated badly, I think they'd be wanting equality too.

Oh, and the Velaya mod for Gothic 2 is really good. I was surprised it came out, I didnt think Germans would make a mod with a female hero.

and discrimination be it by gender or color should be a think of the past.

A thing that never fails to surprise me if how few people (read: humans) with darker skin colours are actually in games. Be it as companions or as NPCs.

Wow this game sounds pretty bad. Worse yet, it sounds like we dont even get any virtual T&A to look at either!

Glad I read the review and this thread

I truly and honestly hate it.

Wouldn't buy it if it were the LAST game on Earth.

Gothic is dead long live Risen!!!

How can one take Gothic 3 and instead of impoving and enlargening it , come out with this complete and utter c**P is beyond me.

Ah, the PB fanboys have finally arrived here.

by the way what's this debate lite vs rpg,, err softcore vs hardcore:

arcania 1 may be as softcore and dumb down as they like , afterall there are always more dumb ( or casual for that matter - though why would you play an rpg 2 hours a week is beyond me, why not marios bros? ) customers than smart ones - saleswise, but Gothic 4 may not.

even the name gothic implys a certain atmosphere and ruggidness.

I too am working rather hard and stressfull, but I also like to relax with a heavy game , not a lite one.

this is like turning all beer into 1% alchohol , because most consumers can't hold their liquor and get toasted on a 5%.

Last edited:
Ah, the PB fanboys have finally arrived here.

Alrik, I'm afraid you're mistaken. We have always been here. :)

And I proudly concur what mr Haraga pointed out. More I read about this game, less I like it. I'd rather skip this game entirely than agonize myself playing it and trying to pretend that previous gothic games never happened. I already know that I couldn't look past the flaws and simplified design. G1 and g2 are on my top 10 rpgs ever list, and g3 is not that bad either. They can try justifying this move all they want, but for me Arcania is a disgrace. All I can do is vote with my wallet and thats what i'm going to do.

Just think of it like a reboot. You know when they rebooted Star Trek everyone loved it right?:devilish:

All jokes aside, that is exactly what I'm going to do. Think of it as a reboot. If Risen is the new gothic then so be it, but I'm not going to skip a game just because it doesn't live up to my expectations. I would never buy another game ever again if that was the case.

If the game was horrible then I would skip it, but by all accounts it is an "ok" game and in my books that is "ok" to buy :)

Back
Top Bottom