RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin EE Gamescom Preview

Its no wonder everyone ports to consoles. According to an article I just read,
most AAA games make about 80%-90% of their sales on consoles, and that includes
games like Skyrim. Even if I were a developer with a midsized team, I'd consider console versions of my games if they sold well on PC. Small indie developers with 2-10 man teams can pass up on something like that. I don't see how a 30+ man team can.

Its no wonder everyone ports to consoles. According to an article I just read,
most AAA games make about 80%-90% of their sales on consoles, and that includes
games like Skyrim. Even if I were a developer with a midsized team, I'd consider console versions of my games if they sold well on PC. Small indie developers with 2-10 man teams can pass up on something like that. I don't see how a 30+ man team can.

The article you read must've been writen by some mentaly disabled person. Thats not true. Skyrim in particular, lol, it sold more than all consoles combined. What a poor choice for a game that article made.

Check this out

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/630819775615225858

What? The real SteamSpy says Skyrim is owned by ~9.25 million players on Steam. The series has sold north of 20 million copies but console versions have probably not stopped selling since Bethesda made that announcement in January 2014.
It would be reasonable to assume that the PC makes up for approximately 30% of all sales at this point.

So even if we consider that Skyrim is only abailable on steam and absolutely no one bought retail, it's on par with two consoles, and vastly outnumbers any one console. Don't know how you managed to get to 30% with almost 10 milion out of 20, but hey. Real steamspy? It's his twitter account, where he posted today. Consoles sell certain games better. Nowhere near what we were led to believe until we had steamspy to check things out. A LOT of games sell far better on PC. Big, blockbuster, AAA games.

What? The real SteamSpy says Skyrim is owned by ~9.25 million players on Steam. The series has sold north of 20 million copies but console versions have probably not stopped selling since Bethesda made that announcement in January 2014.
It would be reasonable to assume that the PC makes up for approximately 30% of all sales at this point.

There is no version of Skyrim on the XBox1 and PS4, the console sales for the game dried a year ago. Also, 9.25/20 = 46% and the Steam version is still a good seller even out of special sales (28th right now).

Don't know how you managed to get to 30% with almost 10 milion out of 20, but hey.

Maybe just actually read my post? Beth confirmed in January LAST YEAR that Skyrim has sold 20 million+. The number TODAY according to SteamSpy is ~9.25 million on PC (and, yes, Steam is required for Skyrim so that's the total number of PC copies out there since the SteamSpy number is game OWNERS and not just Steam sales).

So, it is not reasonable to think that console versions all of a sudden stopped selling since January last year while only the PC kept marching forward.
I haven't looked up historical data on PC owners (i.e. the number of owners in January 2014 when Beth confirmed 20 million+) but I would not be surprised if it would be ~7.x million so about 30% of what they confirmed back then.
I further assume that the ratio has not shifted much since then so my rough guess is that we might be at ~27 million sales total by now (~18 million consoles + ~9 million PC). SteamSpy is not really 100% accurate anyway.
So all in all give or take a few percent but nothing major…

Secondly, if this really is the real SteamSpy guy, then I sincerely hope for him that his Twitter account got hijacked or something because that's just retarded. 107 million copies in four months… LOL. What a moron.
And why do those mythical 107 million copies not even show up on his own database???

EDIT: Ah I see now he says 107 million total game sales on Steam (not TES or Skyrim). I was misled because Nameless said that Skyrim sold more than all consoles combines and then put that link as proof so the context was not immediately clear to me.
Anyway, not sure what the 107 million total PC sales -however accurate that number might be- are supposed to prove (most of them heavy discount summer sales no doubt). No one is saying the PC is completely worthless but it is just not making the same money as compared to consoles. That's the main issue.

Thirdly, I just need to look at publicly available financial reports from big publishers to tell how well the PC is doing instead of the way more questionable SteamSpy numbers (I'm not saying SteamSpy numbers are total bull but compared to financial reports which must be accurate according to law they are simply inferior).
Feel free to head to the investor relations websites of Ubi, Take2 or EA. They all publish sales/revenue by platform numbers these days. You will find out that the PC usually makes up for approximately 15% to 25% of revenue while consoles are usually in the 60% to 70% range.
There is a real reason the PC is neglected. It's just not pulling in the same kind of moolah as the consoles.

I'm 100% a PC master race dude and I think it sucks just as much as the next PC guy but that's just how it is. Reality.
To think that the PC is "secretly" doing much better than anyone wants us to believe is conspiracy nutjob territory. If one thing is guaranteed then that greedy publishers will follow the scent of the holy dollar and unfortunately they are making way more holy dollars from the console peasants than from us so that's life for us…

Last edited:
Moving to the console is a great idea. It will ensure Larian's survival. And more revenue will bring greater freedom in game design. Divinity will also come to a much wider audience. There's never been a problem with bringing a game to a console. The problems come when they neglect their PC releases over console. There's been no evidence of that yet.

Swen tweeted that the announcement will be made today.

I am very hyped!

Sorry Unregistered but you language, and you aren't even making a point.
I reported your post

Unregistered, yoi're getting reported for the extremely foul language. Posting vicious, offensive texts like that is not the way to go.

NO!!!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!

First guy, I reported you for your poor grammar. You will be hearing from my second grade English teacher shortly. She is going to tell you a thing or two. My point was a lot easier to grasp for the likes of you before someone took it upon themselves to delete the good parts and destroy my beautiful post.

Second guy, it is the way to go. I post texts is go way. Yes? Balls. Testicles. Fart. I can't be stopped.

Wait a second? Another kickstarter for D:OS 2? Would they need to kickstart if they didn't blow all our money on making this a console game? Or, why don't they wait until they are raking in the profits from "investing" our money into the consolization of this game starts happing? Why would I give a company that spent all the money a gave them to make a PC game who then made it a console game and now need more money when they have all the tools and assets already built.

I'm not giving a console game developer a fucking red cent until I see how much profit the game made, how much of that was wasted on the consolization of the game, and if they even needed to kickstart of they didn't waste all that money on the consolization of the game.

Fuck console-Swen and the controller he rode in on. He used to be a good guy, now he is the Great Satan. Someone please inform the Muslims we found the Great Satan they keep going on and on about.

There are some errors in that post, but I guess you deliberately add them as the information can be easily found.
Anyway, the Kickstarter money was already gone before the game was released last year. They just went deeper into a depth, but had to release it at some point. With the profit they eventually made, they started he enhanced edition. The console versions are made as part of a deal with Focus Home, who is making an investment for that.
The Enhanced Wdition is still a PC game, with a PC style interface and works just as well as before with a Keyboard and a mouse.
The console version is the same game, but with a different user interface, which is modified for consoles.
Original Sin 2 will be made despite the Kickstarter, but just with an investment of a million less (my guess of what the Kickstarter will deliver).
Fortunately we will love you just as much as we do now, even when you don't pledge for the game ;)

From what I understand it is very hard to pirate something like Skyrim on a console. It is very easy to do on a pc. There are probably about the same number of copies on all 3 ports. Unfortunately, the other several million pc copies were all gotten from Pirate Bay and Bethesda doesn't make money there, neither does Larian.

Back
Top Bottom