RPGWatch Feature - Morrowind Revisited

In the real world, explaining one's point of view is a matter of back and forth exchange, because you can't know exactly how you're perceived - and you rarely think of everything there is to say on the matter in one go.

Sure, if only that's what you were actually doing all the time. :)

Yeah, and I've certainly been influenced to try Morrowind again some time soon.

Even stubborn old JDR inspired me to play The Witcher on hard, soonish.

What to do first, though….

I love Morrowind (while recognising significant flaws, like Bethsoftitis tonnes of levelled random content before getting to the 50 or so artefacts, and possibly the worst combat I've ever encountered in a first person RPG), but I would advice against that. The game isnt for everyone and life is too short for going back to games you dont like. Mods can only take the game so far.

The Witcher is another matter entirely. Raising the difficulty level and picking different sides is a different enough experience to be interesting...

I love Morrowind (while recognising significant flaws, like Bethsoftitis tonnes of levelled random content before getting to the 50 or so artefacts, and possibly the worst combat I've ever encountered in a first person RPG), but I would advice against that. The game isnt for everyone and life is too short for going back to games you dont like. Mods can only take the game so far.

The Witcher is another matter entirely. Raising the difficulty level and picking different sides is a different enough experience to be interesting…

Yeah, that's a good point.

Morrowind probably just isn't for me, and I'd have to spend an eternity tweaking it with mods.

I'll go for The Witcher when time permits.

Not because it's really my kind of game, but because the sequel is looking like a massive improvement - and I hate to miss out on the story.

Now that is ironic considering the source. :lol:

Ain't it though!

Few things are more endearing to me, than baseless arrogance helming textbook projection of a human flaw as evident, and basic, as your insecurity complex.

Kinda cute, actually.

Are you taken? *kisses*

Taking a step back from the current thread :-/

I really enjoy watching when RPGers start discussing a game. The wide points of view show just how creative and imaginative you have to be to immerse yourself in an RPG storyline. Actually, Pibbur summed it up well, “It's fascinating that we can experience the same game that differently.” You have about as much chance for consensus on Morrowind as if you asked two diehard RPGers to agree on which series was better – Neverwinter Nights, or Icewind Dale. Don't even bother trying!

I expected to see most of the thread here focus on the Morrowind game itself (my original goal when starting the piece), but I especially enjoyed seeing that there are others out there as insane as myself about the role of mods. My two favorite quotes in this thread had little to do with the core Morrowind. :)

GhanBuriGhan said: Mods are basically an almost unlimited basket of options, and there is a great number of people, myself included, who have found that it greatly increased their playing experience. We are all different. Some love realistic hunger and thirst in RPG's, some hate it. Some like combat with special moves and gore, some hate it. Some like crafting and fishing, some hate it. Some like gothic-style attire, some hate it. All of these people can today play morrowind and still enjoy the vision of the land and the quests the designers made. Not every game lends itself to such an approach, but a "toy like" game like MW, a sandbox, does.

Bemushroomed: Sometimes I've put weeks or even months of effort into modding games into "perfection" (my idea of it anyways). I find it really fun and creative, I guess many people absolutely hate it and don't really put much effort into it, they just want to play, that's when the experience will suck.

But the real bottom line of what the Morrowind/Mod combination offers might be this one:D

Roland said: Damit, I just loaded up a low lvl toon from '06 and played for 2hrs because of this thread!!!! Was a lot of fun, thx

I loved Morrowind. It was my first RPG. I loved it even on the original Xbox, with the subpar graphics and zero mods. Favorite game ever. It was a revelation to me of what an RPG could offer. All I'd known till then were JRPGs, which I had no interest in.

I played it again recently and was stunned at how immediately immersed I became again in the world. Like hearing an old song you immediately remember all the words to. Great game, flaws and all.

Spending weeks in a game without finding anything you like seems slightly masochistic to me.

Anyway, I liked it very much, primarily for story/background/lore and exploration, though I agree that Gothic had a better content to size ratio.

If people celebrate games, I give them a chance. I took equally long with Oblivion, but actually finished that one, and the expansion.

Few things are more endearing to me, than baseless arrogance helming textbook projection of a human flaw as evident, and basic, as your insecurity complex.

What's funny, and sad, is that I think you really believe the flaw is always with the other person.

It's one reason why so many members here don't even respond to your posts anymore. They know better, I should as well.

I wouldnt argue w/ that grouchy old coot unless he insults your mother or something. Just agree to disagree and move on, trust me. If Ive seen it once, Ive seen in a million times. Your time is better spent exploring some Dwemer ruins or soemthing

I think Relayer summed it up quite well when he said:
Now I totally understand those who feel the game is "dead" because some would rather play than read in a game but you could still play the game and get the gist of the politics and social issues in the region and gameworld without reading the in-game books. The great thing about Morrowind IF YOU WERE PAYING ATTENTION is how lore is interwoven pretty solidly between sidequests, the main quest, dialogue, the books and the stuff in the expansion pack.

MW really was, to me, a game that ultimately gave back what I was willing to invest into it. Running around clicking past quest text will not cut it. I had to read the books, pay attention to dialogue instead of just clicking thru, check everything out in the game, getting into the politics, the religion, the culture itself as well as the physical world. I spent days of game time just exploring. I thought overall it was interesting, well written, and fun world to explore. That made any gameplay issues fade into obscurity for me. I played thru the game pretty much vanilla ( i tweaked some weak armor around a little becuase I liked the look) twice, and on my second run I was still uncovering lore, locations, NPCS, etc. I'm sorry, I cant look at a game that rich and think of it as anything but an RPG masterpiece.

Just loaded up the STEAM goty edition, installed the toolset off the disk, and am perusing which mods to install… i played the game thru twice vanilla, this time I'm going on a mod-fest. Thanks again for this great article Vox. This is definitely one of those games that needs to be revisted now and again.

Last edited:
What's funny, and sad, is that I think you really believe the flaw is always with the other person.

It's one reason why so many members here don't even respond to your posts anymore. They know better, I should as well.

I should have known better as well, so that particular flaw is common enough :)

As for why people don't always respond to me, there are many reasons. Some even very good and understandable.

It's a bit tasteless to draw others into this, like you're constantly doing, but then - that's just another aspect of what you really are ;)

A nice texture pack that really improves the look of things without need for plugins or anything crazy is Morrowind Visual Theme pack. Unzip into your textures folder and youre done.

Just using that, Better Bodies, Better Clothes, and Vvardenfell Visages have the game looking 100% better, with bit more of a modern presentation. The screenshots dont do them much justice, i found that loading each one then loading a saved game really showed me the difference more than anything. You'll also want to get in and tinker w/ your morrowind.ini settings as well

Morrowind Visual Theme pack. Unzip into your textures folder and youre done.
I know you probably didn´t mean that literally, but if you´d do literally just this, nothing would show in your game.
It´s always best to unzip the mod somewhere else first, check the readme if there are any optional/alternative parts etc, and only than copy contents appropriately. You never know how the zip is structured. Most retexturing mods preserve the game´s folder structure, which means that after unzipping you get "textures" folder, sometimes "icon" folder and such. Then you just drag/copy these folders into "Data Files" and say "yes" to overwrite.

Anyway, good recommendations.
Vvardenfell Visages in particular - there are many head replacing mods but this one is by far and wide the best, it honors the setting and doesn´t come with stupidly modernized/emo hair.
Visual Pack is a great base retex on which others can be added (Connary´s textures especially).

xSamhainx said: A nice texture pack that really improves the look of things without need for plugins or anything crazy is Morrowind Visual Theme pack.

Thamks for the idea. I missed that one. Bemushroomed mentioned another good-sounding graphics mod at the start of this thread. I will look at both.​

Oh, and people starting with mods for the first time, DeepO is spot on. xxxxxxxxxxx.... <-- idiotic line deleted due to author brainfart!!!!! (Answered in my reply to DepO 2-3 posts down)

Last edited:
Investing in OMM (Iblivion Mod Manager) and BOSS (a mod sorter) is almost critical to handle the load order and identify missing required mods.
Oblivion Mod Manager and BOSS are for Oblivion though :).

For Morrowind, Wrye Mash and Mlox are the essential tools.
Using both together solves most of the problems related to mod installations.

Wrye Mash can "update masters" for mods which were created using different versions of the game you have, thus gets rid of the usual warning messages at the start up and, even more importantly, it merges leveled lists for mods that are using them so that creatures and items from them can properly show up.

Mlox sorts the load order and offers warnings/recommendations for conflicting mods or missing requirements.

Many (most?) mods require other base mods to work correctly.

No actually. Everything you need is usually within the mod´s package, other requirements are only occasional.
For what it´s worth, the reason for using Visual Pack as a base is that since majority of texture mods replace only selected parts, installing them on vanilla game would result in glaring transitions between hi-res added by a mod and low-res vanilla.

Back
Top Bottom