RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2013: Most Promising RPG in 2014

I doubt PoE is going to be released in 2014. Given Obsidian's track record of mismanagement I wouldn't be surprised if it will come out in late 2015.

Surprised to see DA:I so low and TW3 so high. Looking back at DA2 (I finished it for the first time just a few days ago), it is pretty obvious that it was a well-done cash-in to justify financing of a bigger title. Still for all their flaws, I think DA2 and ME3 were much more enjoyable than the first Witcher. I haven't played the second one yet, but looking at this thread the game seems to have similar problems as the first one. I do realize this mostly comes down to personal preference, but on the other hand I feel that Bioware games are usually held up to a higher standard.

Seeing Original Sin higher than Wasteland 2 also comes as a surprise, but Larian does have a much better track record than InXile. It might also be that most voters have already playtested both and voted accordingly.

I hope Wasteland 2 will be great, but I expect it of Original Sin. I had not thought that this would be a popular sentiment.

Witcher 3 and Pillars were basically neck and neck. Errr, but why are there two #4 rewards??

I can't say I'm surprised my Lichdom vote got lost in the <3%. Ah well, if it pulls off a major upset and gets into the game of the year standings, I'll earn a crystal ball +5!

As everyone was complaining about Uplay when talking about might & magic - don't forget that Dragon Age Inquisition will most probably be ORIGIN Exclusive as other recent EA titles :p
Origin is a bother but it hasn't actually caused me any problems in the past. UPlay has. And that bug back when UPlay first came out that let websites start ANY program via UPlay was downright inexcusable, IMHO. Origin > UPlay for sure. I would rather just play it on Steam or with no help at all from GOG but I can deal with Origin if I must. If I've got to go through UPlay, though, it's going to have to be a very good game.

Surprised to see DA:I so low and TW3 so high. Looking back at DA2 (I finished it for the first time just a few days ago), it is pretty obvious that it was a well-done cash-in to justify financing of a bigger title. Still for all their flaws, I think DA2 and ME3 were much more enjoyable than the first Witcher. I haven't played the second one yet, but looking at this thread the game seems to have similar problems as the first one. I do realize this mostly comes down to personal preference, but on the other hand I feel that Bioware games are usually held up to a higher standard.

You think DA2 was a "well-done" cash-in? Most people would agree it was mediocre throughout. I think it's easy to see why TW3 would be more anticipated than the latest Bioware title. Bioware has only developed two games over the last decade that were above average.

I thought the story in DA 2 was well-done. I can't say the same about all the other changes though. I personally wouldn't put either ME 3 or DA 2 over the first Witcher but, probably over 2.

You think DA2 was a "well-done" cash-in?
I assumed Tilean meant "well done FOR a cash-in." I would mostly agree with that.

You think DA2 was a "well-done" cash-in? Most people would agree it was mediocre throughout. I think it's easy to see why TW3 would be more anticipated than the latest Bioware title. Bioware has only developed two games over the last decade that were above average.

Well, it's my opinion. It's also my opinion that the Watch and the Codex are biased negatively towards Bioware, and (the Watch at least) positively towards CDProject, for reasons which I don't entirely understand. (okay, the Codex is not even remotely objective in regards to Bioware).

To be fair though, I think that comparing the companies' games is like comparing apples and oranges and the only reason I lump them together in my head is that I think that both companies have an undeserved bias surrounding them.

Well, it's my opinion. It's also my opinion that the Watch and the Codex are biased negatively towards Bioware.

I don't think there is bias towards bioware, their games are pretty beloved here(BG, KotOR, First ME and DA:O even NWN when you add mods) but quality of their games is declining fast, you can't deny that.

I don't think there is bias towards bioware, their games are pretty beloved here(BG, KotOR, First ME and DA:O even NWN when you add mods) but quality of their games is declining fast, you can't deny that.

I don't think their games are declining that badly. For me ME2 was one of the best games of the last decade, mainly because of the focus on the companions' stories, and it hugely improved on the first one. ME3 was a bit of a let-down, which I mainly attribute to problems with the plotting of the series and that the Bioware formula doesn't lend itself well to epic showdowns and huge conflicts in the background. A problem which I also have with DA:O and one reason why I think the story of DA2 is more engaging and believable than that of DA:O. Still, ME3 was a largely enjoyable experience and disappointing only on a high level.

DA2 had huge flaws, I can't deny that, but for me the storytelling and companions were improved and the game did a much better job at making the setting seem believable, cohesive and interesting. So it was also a move forward in some ways. I also found some of the minor streamlining to be a good idea.

I don't know if bias was the right word, but Bioware games seem to be hold to a higher standard, probably because they are the only triple A RPG developer and are known for having made masterpieces in the past.

It's also my opinion that the Watch and the Codex are biased negatively towards Bioware, and (the Watch at least) positively towards CDProject, for reasons which I don't entirely understand. (okay, the Codex is not even remotely objective in regards to Bioware).
Bioware? I'm saying in every single post NWN is a disgrace and would never suggest buying it. Others here on the forum say it's one of the best games ever made. What Bioware bias are we talking about? Arguing over a game here on the forum is being biased?
ME series? The whole world is talking about Miranda's butt, but when we mention it on this forum, we're biased? When I say I want Mako back, others here on forum say Mako sucks, again we're biased?
Or you mean not games but thoughts on overexpensive Bioware Points? Sorry, but find me a person on the whole internet, not just on this forum, who will say the cost of Bioware Points is not overpumped, insulting and utterly insolent.

CDprojekt? They've made two RPGs, many of us love both, but some dislike those. For example, if someone hates Aurora Engine for whatever reason, it's hard to enjoy The Witcher 1. Also I can't belive they removed cards from the second game, others here love that change. I'm honestly not sure who is bisaed there, but definetly not the whole site.
From CDprojekt we got two DRMfree epic RPGs patched and polished with FREE DLC. Excuse me for asking but, what's not to like in such business model? And if majority likes DRMfree and DLC4free games, what's exactly biased in it?

Only from perspective of a publisher who wants to skin us alive with overexpensive DLC, yes, we're biased. So, you're right. We're biased. How much does EA pay you?

Last edited:
A problem which I also have with DA:O and one reason why I think the story of DA2 is more engaging and believable than that of DA:O. Still, ME3 was a largely enjoyable experience and disappointing only on a high level.

For me Mass effect writing deteriorated from very good sci-fi show to action movie.
DA2 has decent writing I admit that(but far from great), but bad gameplay and same few dungeons and city repeating over and over kill anything good game has to offer.

I don't know if bias was the right word, but Bioware games seem to be hold to a higher standard, probably because they are the only triple A RPG developer and are known for having made masterpieces in the past.

Why don't you think CDPRoject red isn't held by same standards?Many of us think Witcher games are masterpieces.I find Witcher writing better and characters more beliavable than any bioware game, while I don't like console gameplay in Witcher 2 much it's competently done.

Also remember that Bioware was acquired in 2007 by Electronic Arts and like other companies before is digested in the process.

The last Game Bioware probably did without much of an influence of EA of Dragon Age Origins, which was announced 2004 and released 2008. Before that it was Mass Effect 1 (without DLC).

So from the moment on EA acquired Bioware we we were welcomed by: Totally overpriced DLC for DA:O. A mediocre expansion for DA:O which also felt like it was done to leech out as much money as possible without a big investment.
Mass Effect 2, which was imho a great game - but it "fixed" the problems ME1 had, by completely removing these features. It was also followed by totally overpriced DLC.
As Mythic already lost it's profile, it was put together with Bioware which worked on a MMO.
Everything post ME2 is also Origin Exclusive now.
Dragon Age 2 was pushed into the action-direction like the Dead Space Series was.
And then there was Mass Effect 3 which I can't really judge.

So if you wanted to sum it together what Bioware stands for within the last 5 years it's:
-Overpriced DLCs and mediocre expansions, going for the fast money
-Mass Effect 2 and 3
-A crippled Dragon Age 2
-SWTOR - a MMO
-Exclusiveness to Origin

In addition Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk (two of the founders) left the company in 2012 strengthening the picture of the next sinking ship in acquired EA companies.

From CDprojekt we got two DRMfree epic RPGs patched and polished with FREE DLC. Excuse me for asking but, what's not to like in such business model? And if majority likes DRMfree and DLC4free games, what's exactly biased in it?

Only from perspective of a publisher who wants to skin us alive with overexpensive DLC, yes, we're biased. So, you're right. We're biased. How much does EA pay you?

Well, implying CDProjekt's DLC is similar in content to that of Bioware's or other game developers is a bit disingenuous, don't you think? While it is commendable that CDP release their DLC for free, it is also a marketing ploy and what they offer as DLC wouldn't really be worth paying extra for.

CDProjekt also had their fair share of scandals, their marketing is just bit more tricky to see through. But maybe that is exactly what people like about them, grimdark shadiness and all that.

Of course, EA's marketing and corporate policies aren't much better, but everybody seems to remember those and quickly forgets and forgives in CDProjekt's case.

Why don't you think CDPRoject red isn't held by same standards?Many of us think Witcher games are masterpieces.I find Witcher writing better and characters more beliavable than any bioware game, while I don't like console gameplay in Witcher 2 much it's competently done.

It's exactly that, a lot of people seem to think they are "masterpieces". A masterpiece in my opinion, should hold appeal to a greater number of people than that of a fairly niche audience that is willing to forgive glaring flaws like one the worst combat systems of its genre and a completely redundant system of character development. Also, I don't see why writing of The Witcher should be considered better than that of Bioware titles. In my opinion it is far worse at concealing it's gamey nature and uses similar tropes, only it paints them all in the single brush of a generic grimdark realism and therefore lacks variety in character design, which is a huge flaw in a title of its length.

Two Worlds 2 was also good …the strong point in this game imho was the dialogues and the voice acting (english version).

Seriously? :S

I played Two Worlds 2 and found it somewhat enjoyable on the whole. But to me the dialogue and the voice acting were the worst aspects of the game. Ranging from cringeworthy to downright annoying. Making the main character silent would have been a huge improvement.

I thought ME 1 was really good, ME 2 a little worse, and ME 3 was one of two games that I demanded a refund for in the past 10 yrs. Between ME 3 and DA 2, I simply expect Bioware to deal with their shame in an appropriate manner.....slink off, never to be heard from again. If the preorder price for the next Dragon Age is one cent, I wouldn't pay it till I heard reviews from friends.

CDProjekt also had their fair share of scandals, their marketing is just bit more tricky to see through. But maybe that is exactly what people like about them, grimdark shadiness and all that.

Of course, EA's marketing and corporate policies aren't much better, but everybody seems to remember those and quickly forgets and forgives in CDProjekt's case.

Sorry bro, but now you're just talking out your ass. EA's corporate policies aren't much better? Um…no, they're far, far worse.

Grimdark shadiness? What does that even mean? Care to give examples?

It's exactly that, a lot of people seem to think they are "masterpieces". A masterpiece in my opinion, should hold appeal to a greater number of people than that of a fairly niche audience that is willing to forgive glaring flaws like one the worst combat systems of its genre and a completely redundant system of character development. Also, I don't see why writing of The Witcher should be considered better than that of Bioware titles. In my opinion it is far worse at concealing it's gamey nature and uses similar tropes, only it paints them all in the single brush of a generic grimdark realism and therefore lacks variety in character design, which is a huge flaw in a title of its length.

Ah…right. So whether or not something can be considered a masterpiece now depends on how much of the mainstream it appeals to? Good luck with that. :)

DLC wouldn't really be worth paying extra for.
IMO no DLC is worth paying for. Especially not cut out content DLC.
Standalone DLC? Definetly worth paying extra for.

And I think that no matter what Bioware, CDprojekt or anyone else does. But that's only my opinion, many other forum members don't think like me and will buy any DLC as "if that's what devs must do, it's okay to do".

Is RPGwatch still biased as you suggest? Or perhaps you have a problem with one, maybe two members on RPGwatch who just won't keep mouth shut when it comes to moneymilking DLC schemes?

But also know this, I did buy my share of different DLC in many games. I did. This is my shame:
28gv12p.jpg

But would I say now I'm not stupid and others are biased? No. I was stupid buying those. And it has to stop.
Would I say today others are biased or something? Of course not.

Me buying DLC and supporting such scam has to stop. I'm not buying any DLC based game any more. I'd rather buy heavy drugs than support the global scam model.
And you can think I'm biased towards Bioware in one way and CDprojekt in other for the rest of your life. I am. Just not for the reason you think I am.

It's exactly that, a lot of people seem to think they are "masterpieces". A masterpiece in my opinion, should hold appeal

First of all I will agree with JDR that something doesn't need to appeal to mainstream audience to be considered masterpiece.Second Witcher is hardly niche game First one sold in over million copies before Witcher 2 came out(and before massive giveaways and cheap sales begain)W2 sold even better.

In my opinion it is far worse at concealing it's gamey nature and uses similar tropes, only it paints them all in the single brush of a generic grimdark realism and therefore lacks variety in character design, which is a huge flaw in a title of its length.
Gamey?DA 2 has generic console combat and ME 2/3 are Gears of war clones from gameplay standpoint.

only it paints them all in the single brush of a generic grimdark realism and therefore lacks variety in character design, which is a huge flaw in a title of its length.

Most of world and characters are more plausible and consistent in Witcher game.
While bioware games have very good writing it's inconsistent, characters are far less plausible, and there are few characters that just jumped out of cartoon(some of I really like but not the point).

I can understand if you think BG, KotOR,DA:O or even JE have better writing than Witcher game, that is different taste, but NWN, DA 2 and ME 3 sorry but I just can't see how can anyone consider that better than Witcher.

Seriously? :S

I played Two Worlds 2 and found it somewhat enjoyable on the whole. But to me the dialogue and the voice acting were the worst aspects of the game. Ranging from cringeworthy to downright annoying. Making the main character silent would have been a huge improvement.

Oh, was the main thing which kept me playing.
Loved the dry humor and the voice. Maybe you played the female character?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JnLiaH_id8

But that is also the reason I didn't buy the expansion as they got rid of the old main character.

The ME series really deteriorated into a more action game as the series progressed, ME 3 is the best example of this. Their adjustments to enemy HPs really altered the combat mechanics and poorly imo. Yes the writing is still pretty good (except for the original ending) but, Bioware is really going in a different direction than it did pre-EA. Is that inherently bad? No, there's just people who don't like where it's going while I'm sure there's others who do.

Back
Top Bottom