RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2015

I'll just say that one of three games I'm excited about in the next year is one I don't see anyone mentioned (forgive me if I'm wrong) - Technomancer. :D

I'll just say that one of three games I'm excited about in the next year is one I don't see anyone mentioned (forgive me if I'm wrong) - Technomancer. :D

I voted for that one - but I didn't mention it, so you couldn't know.

No firm release date for it yet, so hard to get excited for it.

The question about which RPG I'm looking forward to next year is a tough one. There are too many upcoming games for release in 2016 to only have 3 top choices. I think it's going to be the best year ever for RPG gamers.

Anyway I chose:

Mass Effect Andromeda
Elex
Far Cry Primal (sorry, I've always wanted a sabertooth for a pet)

Someone also mentioned Mount and Blade 2. I'm not a big fan of the past releases, but the new one looks incredible, I would give it honorable mention for sure on 2016 wish list.

I wonder if I'm the only one who didn't choose TW3 for #1 2015. It was the longest movie I watched in 2015 but there was no category for that.

The question about which RPG I'm looking forward to next year is a tough one. There are too many upcoming games for release in 2016 to only have 3 top choices. I think it's going to be the best year ever for RPG gamers.

Really, I an not excited at all yet. Until we get a few firm dates I don't even know what I want to play.

Witcher 3 and Pillars 1 & 2.

3 was tough; Age of Decadence, Underail, Shadowrun, Legends of Eisenwald, Satellite Reign, lots to choose from. Ended up voting for Satellite Reign because it feels like the best game no one played or talks about.

Lots to look forward to next year also.

Elex
Expeditions Vikings (Conquistador was my game of the year when it came out)
Original Sin 2

HM: Balrum because I have seen no one else mention it.

I wonder if I'm the only one who didn't choose TW3 for #1 2015. It was the longest movie I watched in 2015 but there was no category for that.

Eh, Fallout fans trying to be witty…you guys have been taking lessons in "Sarcasm" from Bethesda. :p

2016 looks a bit low on hype and high expectations, which could be a good thing.
I'd say Blood and wine, DoS II and Mankind Divided are (almost) guaranteed to deliver.
Of other larger titles Elex, Andromeda and Kingdom of Deliverance could go either way.
Our newly welcomed rpg member Division seems underwhelming so far.

How can Divinity be voted as game of the year when basically its a release of a game from t he previous year…

but wasteland DC too

According to the Steam store page Elex won't be released in 2016, but early 2017.

I wish Fallout 4 wasn't even listed there, it's an insult to the term "RPG", but hopefully the crowd here has a higher level than in generalist sites when it's voting time.

I'm pretty psyched FO4 is doing so well myself. Its good to see such a great role playing game come out this year that so many folks are enjoying.

Some great games listed all the way around with some variety and options for everyone. Luckily no one is forced to purchase or play a game they don't like and can just ignore those.

Seeing how big the list is, with so many options, shows the RP genre is alive and strong with a little bit for everyone.

FF4, Divine Divinity, Pillars of Eternity, Witcher 3, and more ... all wonderful role playing games with a different look at things and their own story to tell.

1. Age of Decadence

2. Shadowrun: Hong Kong

3. Legends of Eisenwald

Honorable Mentions: Witcher 3, Celestian Tales: Old North

I have a feeling Underrail would be my #2 or 3 but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

1. Liege

2. Torment: Tides of Numenara

3. Prisonscape

Honorable Mentions: Graywalkers: Purgatory, Age of Grit, Demon's Age, The Mandate, Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements, D:OS 2 (doubt it will release this year)

I wish Fallout 4 wasn't even listed there, it's an insult to the term "RPG", but hopefully the crowd here has a higher level than in generalist sites when it's voting time.

The biggest shortcoming of polls like this is people obviously (hopefully) are unlikely to vote for games they haven't even played, so the popular RPGs that almost everyone played are at an inherent advantage compared to indies & less hyped titles… Which means even if people only thought games like FO4, PoE, or the TW3 were OK, they might end up voting for them because they haven't even played AoD, LoE, Underrail, etc. Not much you can do about that, but I wish the poll could've somehow taken note of which 2015 RPGs the voter played.

As for whether FO4 qualifies as an RPG… I prefer not to touch that argument and am fine with defining any game where you have some stats or values that can be improved as you progress as an RPG. There's a great thread here somewhere where they attempted to come up with a comprehensive definition of cRPG, but ultimately there's still some subjectivity. I personally have little interest in ever playing FO4; pretty sure it would bore me to tears, but to each his / her own.

Last edited:

I had the same hopes for 2015, especially for Pillars and Original Sin, and while that was a disappointment, I'm not too jaded to hope again for 2016. And let's not forget 2017: Cyberpunk 2077, Elex, Bard's Tale IV, (probably) Underworld Ascendant... :)

2016/2017 is gonna be sweet I think

torment
elex
cyberpunk 2077
expeditions Viking
new Deus Ex
Underworld ascendant
Lost ark

I guess the thing is, depending on when in the year the game is released matters as well. Waiting for patches to make them playable is a big thing now of days.

A lot of games I don't play until a few years after they were release, unless I am really excited to play and or there isn't many complaints about bugs.

A lot of games I don't play until a few years after they were release, unless I am really excited to play and or there isn't many complaints about bugs.
I'm a really patient man but when it comes to games I'm like a 5 y/o boy waiting for ice cream. :|

I'm a really patient man but when it comes to games I'm like a 5 y/o boy waiting for ice cream. :|

What all excited to get it, then you have a few licks of and let the rest drip down you hands while the dog eats it up. :)

Back
Top Bottom