Fallout 4 Settlements/crafting

I've just cleared the area but didn't build anything. Yet.
Probably will just make it as a food/water farm later.

I think I'm close to owning 30 settlements and to be honest I'm kinda exhausted of adding 21 bed (my CHR is 11) and defenses in each and every single one. There are still many locations I haven't open and unless someone says populating all of them brings some special reward…

I knew I can put bobbleheads on display, but comics you find?
They can be displayed too. With racks buildable in furniture-shelves.

pic.jpg

Wat saddens me is that displaying any of these doesn't affect happyness in the settlement. :(

Hopefully someone discovers how to display mr. handy and sentribot models. Also the buttercup toy quest reward.

Apparently if your defense is equal to or greater than food+water a settlement won't get attacked until level 35 or so. Then you can get random attacks?

That is not true.
Regardless of anything you have, your settlements can get attacked. When, why and because of what, I dunno. Nor honestly, care. :)

As I said before, you shouldn't bother helping them to defend - if you built enough defense stuff (posts and turrets, don't build traps those suck). It's timewasting, it's XP you don't want, it doesn't improve relationship with your sidekicks and doesn't affect the game progress at all.
One more thing, norespawn mod (I'm using it) does not prevent these attacks. Norespawn mod prevents only trashmobs you already killed to use godlike reviving power your hero doesn't have.

I haven't been attacked yet either. 55ish hours and I haven't made done much crafting at all. Most places have zero defenses.

Did any of you by any chance ignore Minuteman questchain?
I got my first random attack after around 10 ingame hours when I had Sanctuary, Red Rocket and some farm (Abernathy IIRC) south nearby on my side.

To be honest, I find your game better than mine. Those attacks, just like kidnappings, should IMO be removed from the game or made as an actual quest, not like MMO respawn mobs to grind.

Radiant quest? Failing any radiant quest is desirable IMO unless it's a kidnapped settler that gets killed if not saved in time. I'm still waiting for mod that will disable radiant garbage completely.

However Preston also gives minutemen proper quests, you're not supposed to fail minutemen nonradiant quests.
Those are:
- When Freedom Calls
- Sanctuary
- The Sight
- Taking Independance
- Old Guns
Faction quests that follow Old Guns open only when you rush the main story and are invited to Institute - means if you don't want to side with minutemen, ignore those that happen after reaching Instutute base.

Sadly, the game is designed to put only one faction of four major ones as a "winner". I thought perhaps I can persuade Railroad to work with BoS against Instutute, then I get this:
pic.jpg

Another sad thing is that you can't possibly ally with gunners and children of atom, at least I don't know how if that's possible. But I'm still lightyears away from finishing the game so perhaps I find a way somehow.

Last edited:
Taking Independance is not supposed to try earlygame.
Basically, you should go for it when you're confident enough in your equipment.

You need to reach an area with some hard to kill mobs around - most probably you'll stumble upon assaultron there which earlygame will just wipe the floor with your arse. Did with mine.
So either go there with nice and shiny power armor or wait till you get heavy combat armor somewhere.
Most efficient weapon I suggest is wounding shotgun (it's not superhard to get one, during my game two legendary mobs dropped one) although if you have gauss rifle, it's also handy (I didn't have one).

Consider yourself lucky if you don't cross paths with Assaultron Dominator. If you see that mob - feel free to reload previous savegame far far away from the spot it was lurking. I'm 150+ hours in the game and saw only one in the whole game and honestly, I don't want to see another. Ever.
No I couldn't kill it, had to reload.

The quest itself after you reach the point starts as easy crabs shootout and when you wipe most of those a hard to kill boss emerges. On normal diff it took me cca 5 mininukes to bring it down. Luckily the area is designed to provide you cover from her poisonous spits. You'll find missile launcher and a bunch of missiles at the spot, I still suggest using mininukes instead.

All in all… Expect a heavy fight there and don't rush towards it.

I knew I can put bobbleheads on display, but comics you find?
They can be displayed too. With racks buildable in furniture-shelves.

pic.jpg

Wat saddens me is that displaying any of these doesn't affect happyness in the settlement. :(

Hopefully someone discovers how to display mr. handy and sentribot models. Also the buttercup toy quest reward.

That looks great lol :) Nice display.

Thanks, but it's not complete yet.
I don't have all bobbleheads and definetly not all magazines/comics (because I found another two after taking that pic I assume there's even more).

I'm not sure why you need so many settlers in any one town. You need 2-3 to farm and 3 for the shops, unless you're building several shops in one town. Is that worth doing? I know there are up to 3 levels of some of the market stands, but I haven't bothered doing that….They only generate a couple hundred caps and I can get that by walking along the road and killing stuff in a few minutes….What do you have 21 settlers doing? Do they each have a job?

Not all of my settlements have 21 people. Only those where I put the recruitment tower. Others are either empty or hold only default "family".
The population growth everywhere I planned for after beating the main quest, not before.

While I made all populated settlements selfsufficient, the better option is to connect them all and turn one or two settlements into food processing. Sanctuary can be turned into water processing and distribute it to all other settlements.
I don't have any settler in Boston Airport - it's concrete and one can't grow plants there. I didn't find if it's possible to build planters (mutfruit planter provides two food, jot just one) so the only option for such places is provisionist routes.

Building trading stations just about everywhere to earn caps passively I'd say no, it's not worth it. If it's caps you need, you can make it by selling tons of purified water accessible in Sanctuary. Means, build traders only in Sanctuary.
Or if you find another place where you can "plant" dozens of huge water purifiers.
And of course scavenging station so water surplus gets stored in the workbench.

Not all of my settlements have 21 people. Only those where I put the recruitment tower. Others are either empty or hold only default "family".
The population growth everywhere I planned for after beating the main quest, not before.

While I made all populated settlements selfsufficient, the better option is to connect them all and turn one or two settlements into food processing. Sanctuary can be turned into water processing and distribute it to all other settlements.
I don't have any settler in Boston Airport - it's concrete and one can't grow plants there. I didn't find if it's possible to build planters (mutfruit planter provides two food, jot just one) so the only option for such places is provisionist routes.

Building trading stations just about everywhere to earn caps passively I'd say no, it's not worth it. If it's caps you need, you can make it by selling tons of purified water accessible in Sanctuary. Means, build traders only in Sanctuary.
Or if you find another place where you can "plant" dozens of huge water purifiers.
And of course scavenging station so water surplus gets stored in the workbench.

Scavenging station? I wondered why I don't have much extra resources. Tell me more!

No, a settler who's working on scavenging station beside random "junk" also collects surplus of food and water you produce and stores it in the workbench.

You may easily test it.
Place two big water purifiers (40 p. water production) in Sanctuary, but don't make scavenging station.
Sleep a day or two then check the workbench.
Now make scavenging station, sleep a couple of days then check the workbench.
In my game I got no purified water surplus until I made scavenging station.

Back
Top Bottom