Should I upgrage my EVGA 770 GTX?

I'd have to agree with GG - if you don't have monetary restrictions, the answer should be easy. Titan X QUAD SLI :)

However, if you really do care about your money, then wait for 980 ti. Witcher 3 will be receiving significant updates in the next few weeks or months, so you might be getting the best of both worlds.

I'd have to agree with GG - if you don't have monetary restrictions, the answer should be easy. Titan X QUAD SLI :)

<drool>
Yess!!!! I want those too!!!!
</drool>

However, if you really do care about your money, then wait for 980 ti. Witcher 3 will be receiving significant updates in the next few weeks or months, so you might be getting the best of both worlds.

Disregarding reasonable advice.

pibbur who regrettably is reasonable. Mostly. At least sometimes. Whatever.

crpgnut,

In a nutshell, the answer to your thread's title would be: "yes, upgrade it at once!"

But then there are rumours nVidia will release 980 TI, so maybe you should wait. Meanwhile, you could still play TW 3 and get good frames-per-sec with your PC specs. I'd say your PC is above the average. If I were you, I'd disable nVidia Hairworks - man, this feature is killing fps for almost everyone - and I'd choose SSAO over HBAO. You could hit 40-45 fps, which is playable enough (to me, at least).

Then I remember my PC specs: GTX 760 4GB vram, i7-3770k, 8 GB Ram, Maximus V Gene… Should I upgrade my video card ? Lol, yeah, I should upgrade two things only: videocard and the rest :p
Man, TW 3 will be more expensive than I expected :p

Last edited:
The HBM memory of the new AMD 390 cards is the first big tech jump for a long time. They are likely to be competitive with Titans. 2016 will see HBM cards moving to 16nm process and the combination of those should see generational improvements. I would wait patiently for those cards.

The HBM memory of the new AMD 390 cards is the first big tech jump for a long time. They are likely to be competitive with Titans. 2016 will see HBM cards moving to 16nm process and the combination of those should see generational improvements. I would wait patiently for those cards.

Each his own but only had bad experiences with ATI Graphics (and good ones with their CPUs).

While Pascal also initially should have used 16 nm, it will use 14 nm instead, apparently because they switched to Samsung for making them.

That said, the R9 390X is supposed to cost 850$ and the GTX 980Ti is speculated to cost 700-800$
If money isn't an issue, go ahead. But I'd rather wait for the next generation, considering even the GTX 790 Ti is still at ~500€ I guess that a new generation will spawn affordable Cards faster than the 390X or 980Ti get to a reasonable price.

Each his own but only had bad experiences with ATI Graphics (and good ones with their CPUs).

While Pascal also initially should have used 16 nm, it will use 14 nm instead, apparently because they switched to Samsung for making them.

That said, the R9 390X is supposed to cost 850$ and the GTX 980Ti is speculated to cost 700-800$
If money isn't an issue, go ahead. But I'd rather wait for the next generation, considering even the GTX 790 Ti is still at ~500€ I guess that a new generation will spawn affordable Cards faster than the 390X or 980Ti get to a reasonable price.

I don't disagree. I just mention that the 390x will be first to bring in HBM memory, which is important advance. I'm also suggesting wait for next generation with die shrink and HBM. Then we may have something worth spending more money on.

Do not upgrade yet.
TW3 is the only game you'll see benefits from it. Okay, not really, there's also Assassin's Creed Unity that looks like Playstation 1 game unless you have Titan or GTX 980 - but just don't buy that unoptimized garbage of a game.

Graphics whoring, yes, absolutely, but unless you're a hotel owner, wait for GPU pricedrops. Till then, your 770 is good enough to rock everything.

Heck, I'm still using a GTX 660!! :)

The 960 is not a significant upgrade to the 770.
The 970 has a very good price/power ratio.
The 980 is only needed for very big monitors.

This is indeed the correct answer.

GTX 960 and 770: same performance +/- 2%.
960 / 770 upgrade to 970 give ~ a 47% performance boost
960 / 770 to 980 gives ~ a 67% boost.

To get a rough idea on the speed differences, go to GameStar.de, scroll to the graphics, click on "insgesamt" (which means overall). Then hover your mouse over the base card and the other values will be adjusted relative to it.

IMHO an upgrade doesn't make sense for a gaming resolution of less than 1080p. At 1080p we can discuss. Beyond that a 770 doesn't cut really cut.

Heck, I'm still using a GTX 660!! :)
Depending on your PC and screen resolution, there's a lot performance to be gained by simply switching out graphics cards.

Depending on your PC and screen resolution, there's a lot performance to be gained by simply switching out graphics cards.

And depending on the games you play. I still got a GTX 260 and I am doing fine.
Not playing Witcher 3 though ;)

Okay, I've decided to wait for now, but will revisit the idea in July/August. Sounds like my 770 is good enuf.

Thanks everyone!!!

I would wait even longer. W3 will be the most demanding game on your HDD for a long time.
Or buy a new monitor & graphics card combo. You can keep your current monitor as 2nd screen.

Actually you could have upgraded until a short time ago. nVidia made offered a free Witcher 3 for every purchase of a card with one of their chips, GTX 960 and upwards.

nVidia will do the similar offer this fall when AC:Syndicate is about to be released.
Why? Because it'll probably again be unoptimized on PC thus will need more GPU force than any other existing game.
Luckily, we're not interested into that game, right? ;)

However, if, and I honestly don't expect EA to risk it in the year of TW3, if ME4 somehow sees the light of the day this winter…
Maybe it gets packed up with new cards.

I still say - don't upgrade 770!
Not yet. Wait for discounts and pricedrops.

Yes upgrade. Just do it. Rocking a 980 myself and I kinda like it.

I have the same card (and also got my machine from iBuyPower) and have haven't noticed any major issues with the game. My plan was to add another 770 in SLI when they drop in price (and I need the boost). When I bought the machine it came with a free upgrade in the power supply so think thats ok since I was aiming to have that as an option.

On the horizon, my only concern right now is the Oculus Rift Consumer version. I have a DK2 and it works great when it works (also while driving a dual monitor 1920x1080 and 1200x1600 setup). But that is so far off that I'll probably need some other change before that is a reality.

This thread should be moved to Tech Help.

There's really a LOT of stuff that's just about out. Pascal should really kick performance forward next year. DirectX 12 in Windows 10 might let you keep your old card around to help the new graphics card with even more memory. DDR4 memory should hopefully come down in price enough to be worth it. SkyLake CPUs should be showing up in a few months and they are actually supposed to be pretty impressive. SSD drives are making significant changes as we speak. And, of course, the VR headsets should be showing up.

Personally, I'm going to hold out as long as I can (my old SSD should be getting near its end of life) then buy a whole new system.

Kick perf up definetly:
- DX12
- new CPU architecture
- SSD pricedrops

Not much gain in performace will come from:
- DDR4
- nonstandard hardware gadgets

Hold out definetly!

PCGamer just released a review about the 980ti
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/

According to the benchmarks, the difference from the 980ti to the 980 is similar to what 980 is to 970 (for 1080p). For higher resolutions the ti seems to be a good choice.
So if it's "just" 100€/$ it might be a goog idea.

But then again you could also use 970 SLI which might still be cheaper.

PCGamer just released a review about the 980ti
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/.

That's both interesting and disappointing.

It's interesting because Nvidia basically seems to be doing a stealth launch. Until now, pretty much every tech site was reporting that the 980 Ti was going to be released around September. Now they're apparently launching it 3 months earlier and quite suddenly.

It's disappointing because the final specs aren't what was being reported previously. It was supposed to have the same number of cores as the Titan X, but that's not the case. Although it's only 8% less cores, I'm still disappointed. Benchmarks put it at 20-30% faster than a 980 GTX which is also a little disappointing. :-/

Back
Top Bottom