Siege of Dragonspear - Released

This is actually interesting. The last DnD I played was 3.5, but I think I remember that characters were supposed to be male or female. I have no idea how 'progressive' DnD has become since then.

The 1st Ed D&D rulebook described the Elven god as being "male, female, both, or neither"

That's expanded in the 5E rulebook:

The elf god Corellon Larethian is often seen as androgynous or hermaphroditic, for example, and some elves in the multiverse are made in Corellon’s image. You could also play a female character who presents herself as a man, a man who feels trapped in a female body, or a bearded female dwarf who hates being mistaken for a male. Likewise, your character’s sexual orientation is for you to decide.

This is actually interesting. The last DnD I played was 3.5, but I think I remember that characters were supposed to be male or female. I have no idea how 'progressive' DnD has become since then.
It was progressive for its time. Now it is progressive in other things.
Did I hit a nerf? If a transgender person is offend by what I said I am sure they can come and tell me so. Or are you transgender person yourself?
You probably mean a nerv.
I you read my previous posts I said I am not part of the LGBT community. I don't fight for any side of the battle. Outside of this topic I have not been part of any political battles, I even bashed DAI for all the LGBT content because they went too far and I bashed Fallout 4 for making every NPC be a bixesual as that is nonsensical.

Your comment also is changing the subject. My point still stands that you cannot talk for every transgender in the world, you can only talk for yourself. And even that means shit unless you are a transgender.
So at best you can give your outsider opinion about a group of people and what some of them might think (or might not). It is all guessing by you.

Last edited:
You could also play a female character who presents herself as a man, a man who feels trapped in a female body, or a bearded female dwarf who hates being mistaken for a male. Likewise, your character’s sexual orientation is for you to decide.

that's... awesome.

I thought you'd be pleased. :p

The thing is, I think you're one of the people that has been honest about disliking what you dislike. And I have no quarrel with people that simply have a different opinion on the subject than mine. The problem I have is when people try to extend their subjective dislike for one thing or another into a more general criticism of a game's quality; to suggest that because it contains things they personally don't wish to see, the game has been worsened by an agenda.

If some studio made a game that had something I didn't like, like overt racism, and there was a writer talking about how much he wanted to include it, I might criticise that game. But I'd be straight up about what I didn't like. I might say that even if it's a good game otherwise, they can go to hell, because I feel so strongly about that aspect of it. What I wouldn't do, is avoid saying what my problem really is, and make some mealy-mouthed criticism about the quality of the game being undermined by "an agenda".

I thought you'd be pleased. :p

The thing is, I think you're one of the people that has been honest about disliking what you dislike. And I have no quarrel with people that simply have a different opinion on the subject than mine. The problem I have is when people try to extend their subjective dislike for one thing or another into a more general criticism of a game's quality; to suggest that because it contains things they personally don't wish to see, the game has been worsened by an agenda.

If some studio made a game that had something I didn't like, like overt racism, and there was a writer talking about how much he wanted to include it, I might criticise that game. But I'd be straight up about what I didn't like. I might say that even if it's a good game otherwise, they can go to hell, because I feel so strongly about that aspect of it. What I wouldn't do, is avoid saying what my problem really is, and make some mealy-mouthed criticism about the quality of the game being undermined by "an agenda".

I think the only really identifiable agenda in this case is trying to bring sexuality in all its facets into these games. As for PnP, I guess it can be viable in enhancing theatrical roleplaying and drama. In CRPG's , I think they don't necessarily profit from it, although it can help to create a more internally consistent world.

I'll just have to wrap my head around being fed info about NPC's sexual affairs that I really don't care about. I do agree that it doesn't necessarily make a game worse because it does that.

Nah I'm playing around with it now and I'm having a blast. I wasn't sure about the new UI at first but it has grown on me quickly. The only thing I'd like to revert is the spellbook, but that's a minor complaint. There are loads of minor improvements all over the place that add up well. I haven't gotten far with the new content but I think this is going to end up with a big Fonzey thumbs up.

Nah I'm playing around with it now and I'm having a blast. I wasn't sure about the new UI at first but it has grown on me quickly. The only thing I'd like to revert is the spellbook, but that's a minor complaint. There are loads of minor improvements all over the place that add up well. I haven't gotten far with the new content but I think this is going to end up with a big Fonzey thumbs up.
My two favorite UI improvements are being able to equip both two handed weapons and weapon + shield in quick slots and second is when you double click on stacked items max number is selected. I makes selling gems so much more easier and it is no longer irritating.

Ha you're right - the weapon slots are pretty nifty! :) Nice addition.

This is one of the things people are complaining about …. whatever your views on sexuality, this is just lame in your face writing by someone who is trying to push an "agenda".

Seriously? That's what some people are making such a big deal about?

"Oh no! My game is ruined because I met a transgendered character!" :roll:

Seriously? That's what some people are making such a big deal about?

"Oh no! My game is ruined because I met a transgendered character!" :roll:

No-one minds that - what people mind is being preached to out of the blue. Its inorganic and not much like a conversation but it is after all just a minor thing like you say.

I think people are more upset that the writers regard the original bg as problematic and sexist (and the original fanbase too) and have taken it upon themselves to 'fix' problematic characters like Jaheira and Safana. But the focus has inevitably fallen on the transvestite character as these things do.

Times like these need a good quote or two from Edwin(a) from BG2.

Minsc: You look much like Edwin, perhaps his sister. Unlike Edwin, Boo likes you a lot. You're a very pretty lady!
Edwina: I am Edwin, you imbecile! (I swear this lumbering oaf will be the death of me)

Cernd: Are the flowers not beautiful this time of year? Perhaps a little late in the blooming, but still…
Edwina: What!? What are you getting at!? I know you are talking about me, so speak it plain!
Cernd: Perhaps your new form has made you more sensitive, though not in a way I call improvement. I meant nothing. It is my wont to talk of nature and her gifts.
Edwina: Very well then. I will let your comment pass and…
Cernd: I mean, if I say how the great cycle fells the mighty oak, yielding to the furrows and valleys of a more subtle landscape, is it my fault if you take offense?
Edwina: I see, I see. I shall let the slight pass and…
Cernd: And if I say that the great stag casts aside its wondrous mantle as the long winter approaches, should it be my concern if you draw any comparisons to your…
Edwina: Yes, yes, yes, now will you please cease your prattle!
Cernd: Poor, Edwin. When nature casts aside an appendage, she is confident it will return in the proper season. My heart weeps for your insecurities. Weep, weep.
Edwina: (I wonder what his nature would say about the cleansing power of fire.
I wonder.)

This is the whole exchange that made people go around on a rampage downvoting the expac:
Mizhena: I am Mizhena, faithful of Tempus. Praise be to the Lord of Battles!

Optional dialogue choice -> Mizhena? That’s an unusual name. I don’t think I’ve heard it before.

Mizhena: I created the name myself several years ago. My birth name proved unsuitable.

Optional dialogue choice -> What was wrong with your old name?

Mizhena: When I was born, my parents thought me a boy and raised me as such. In time, we all came to understand I was truly a woman. I created my new name from syllables of different languages. All have special meaning to me; it is the truest reflection of who I am.

Even Ed Greenwood find the outrage ridiculous.

That doesn't seem to be the whole story, however (I have not played SoD yet). From what I have read, they have also changed the personalities of original BG characters significantly and broken the 4th wall a.k.a cracking a joke at GamerGate. The transgender dialog is by far not the only issue people are taking with the SJW stuff. There is an article here that sums it up rather well in my opinion.

That doesn't seem to be the whole story, however (I have not played SoD yet). From what I have read, they have also changed the personalities of original BG characters significantly and broken the 4th wall a.k.a cracking a joke at GamerGate. The transgender dialog is by far not the only issue people are taking with the SJW stuff. There is an article here that sums it up rather well in my opinion.
Beamdog handling of this was bad. Minsc comment of GG is only noticeable to people that followed GG.
They changed Safana somewhat, although I didn't see anything really wrong with new Safana (but I didn't adventure with her much due to not liking pure Thieves in BG games). Also characters can change as all people as long as those are not major unexplained changes.
I don't know how extensive Jaheira changes are as I have not met her yet.

The thing is, this campaign and all the 0/10 reviews may have really hurt the game during the crucial early sales period. There's not many games I'd like to see more than sequels to Baldur's Gate. To hit them like this and jeopardise the chance of future games over what amounts to little more than a meme just seems crazy to me.

I realise that not everyone put off by what the writer said is a bigot, that would be unfair, but it does seem to me that they are responding to an "SJW" dog-whistle, rather than experience of the game itself. Just take a look at the reviews and member feedback in the review thread - it really doesn't look like this game deserves what it's been getting.

I don't really think the complaint about breaking the fourth wall and referencing modern things is a valid complaint either - the original BG did that several times.

The thing is, this campaign and all the 0/10 reviews may have really hurt the game during the crucial early sales period.

I believe the topic is about some phoneDLC. Not a game.
And if it matters at all, I'm not buying phoneDLC even if every review says 10/10. Basically, 0/10 or 20/10 can't make me change my mind.

And what's with some CJB whatnot in previous posts?
Really? Someone cares for that stuff on phones and particulary inside cashgrab DLC?
What's next? CJB rampage on the next Candy Crush Saga installment?
It would be worth of a loud crazy laughter if it wasn't tragic. And everybody is missing that homeless people lifestyle have spread abnormally - it's just that instead of rummage through RL garbage containers, people are searching for junk on social networks.

Dunno about all of you, but I thought this was aprilfools joke:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ion-siege-of-dragonspear-off-to-a-rough-start
In response to the negative Dragonspear reviews, the game's leader Trent Oster posted on the Beamdog (developer) forum asking the community for help. He asked people playing the game and "having a good time" to "please consider" posting a positive review "to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players".

All this topic lacked was some Joxer logic. Now it is truly complete.

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but some people will always insist on making mountains out of molehills.

Yes this is an overreaction but there are other people people who overreacted to the Witcher games and called them sexist, racist etc. There is climate of hate in the gaming world which is triggering these overreactions for silly things.

There were a few voices complaining about sexism in the Witcher. The scale of the fuss and the impact on the game were insignificant by comparison. This mess goes far beyond half a dozen bloggers moaning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom