Skyrim - Has All of Tamriel!

The Morrowind border-gate does sort of scream "future DLC this way." The Dunmer who didn't come into sky-rim propper retreated to Solstheim didn't they? I guess that could end up being made roughly Shivering Isles sized and I imaginge after the Red Year it would look very different.

From official forum. Oblivion had kind of the same thing? Didn't know that

Yeah it's been picked up and continued by various groups. The latest group continuing it put out an updated version two weeks ago.

http://morroblivion.com/

The earliest incarnation of the project had run into a huge road block I think because they had been importing art assets from morrowind rather than recreating them.

On the status of the mod:
Today, Morroblivion is a fully playable, working game world. Quests, NPCs, creatures, items, and graphical features all have been painstakingly converted, upgraded and/or created by hand to bring a true-to-the-original experience that takes advantage of many of Oblivion's advanced features. Read here for information on the history of the 4+ years of work on the Morroblivion project.

As far as how complete it feels and how well it all works - I'd say your mileage will vary. It is undeniably an impressive endeavor though.

Last edited:
Very cool! I'd love to see a remake of Morrowind with the new engine. If Bethesda gave the fans a choice of what we wanted the next game to be, I'd love to see a return to Morrowind. My other choice would be Elsweyr.

Hmm cool, but… Skyrim takes place 200 years after the events of Morrowind, right?

Unless they retcon the lore, Morrowind is no longer there anyways.

*Edit* Nevermind, I got a bit confused about certain events it seems.

Last edited:
I saw a youtube video. But it was from someone who explored everything that was available. Kotaku seems to be false as it's not all of Tamriel, It's for instance has just a tine snipit of Blackmarch (North-East), and Morrowind is only in it for half (the eastern mainland and a good chunk of Vvardenfell. Of Summurset Isle, Valenwood and Elsweyr it has only the North. It's still a lot but not all of Tamriel.

This was the youtube video I saw it on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlbA2qiXsf0

Yep it isn't the entirety of Tamriel and along with the above it has part of High Rock and Hammerfell. The problem is for one it isn't very accurate like how Vvardenfell is too far north. Also it isn't the heightmap and rather just lod so can't be used as-is and would have to be converted to a heightmap. I tested this myself and went right through the landscape when I turned clipping back on.

PS. The only part of the Imperial City that is there is part of the White Tower which can be seen normally from certain locations.

In the game, you can see the full map (not on paper) of Skyrim and Tamriel at certain quest-related events.
So it's entirely possible that they intended to make use of the same locations where those maps appear as a teleport hub to other areas of Tamriel, and then why not slap on the landmass as well for good measures.

Guys, Don't want to rain on the parade but if these masses are simply visual effects, getting these areas accessible will be nearly as much work as starting from scratch. In Most cases 3D tiles must be marked within the design software as walkable terrain. If they are not, Then each Terrain Tile would need to be converted for use in popular 3D software like SMax and all poly's within a single tile would need to be marked as walkable terrain, Otherwise objects will fall right through it as well as characters since this engine is gravity based. In order to even do this, Plugins will need to be created for conversion and use with popular 3D design software.

Bethesda may provide or create some of those plugins if enough fans clamour for them. It would be a massive undertaking, but it may be doable if it's within the engines rendering capacity, if not you can simply mark the terrain to load the area when entering (which would unload Skyrim) and unloading when returning to Skyrim. Sounds pretty awesome, but man that's alot of time, trust me.

They probably just did this because they could without much effort. I don't think anyone should take it as a solid hint towards anything.

That said, the most obvious future for TES - in business terms - would be some kind of an MMO. For that purpose, it's pretty clear that they'd need all of Tamriel for the world, and it would stand to reason that they've started dabbling with the terrain layouts already.

Not sure if it's the best engine for the job, but I seem to recall some iteration of it being used for WAR and DAoC.

Guys, Don't want to rain on the parade but if these masses are simply visual effects, getting these areas accessible will be nearly as much work as starting from scratch. In Most cases 3D tiles must be marked within the design software as walkable terrain. If they are not, Then each Terrain Tile would need to be converted for use in popular 3D software like SMax and all poly's within a single tile would need to be marked as walkable terrain, Otherwise objects will fall right through it as well as characters since this engine is gravity based. In order to even do this, Plugins will need to be created for conversion and use with popular 3D design software.

Bethesda may provide or create some of those plugins if enough fans clamour for them. It would be a massive undertaking, but it may be doable if it's within the engines rendering capacity, if not you can simply mark the terrain to load the area when entering (which would unload Skyrim) and unloading when returning to Skyrim. Sounds pretty awesome, but man that's alot of time, trust me.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of what that was. I love to use mods, but have absolutely no clue as to what it entails to make them. I was hoping this could easily be used by the modding community, but oh well. At least Tameriel Rebuilt is still in the works :)

The opinion on RPS is that the heightmaps were included simply for background. That seems like the simplest explanation. Still no reason modders couldn't use them I guess.

That's what I think, too. There was quite a good explanation in the comments below this YouTube video. The landmasses are needed for the 3D map as it shows the whole continent and so it's needed to show the correct proportions of the continent. When you remember this mod which let you scroll to the ground in world map, that seems quite reasonable for me. And Oblivion also contained at least a copy of the Morrowind region.

In Most cases 3D tiles must be marked within the design software as walkable terrain.
I suppose it's possible to check this by simply disabling noclip mode.

I suppose it's possible to check this by simply disabling noclip mode.

It won't be walkable meshed - absolutely no point in setting aside the resources for it. I didn't think it was so hard to add a walkable mesh though, usually just a case of importing into the toolset and flagging a property so it bakes it different.

AAARRRGGHHHH! My parade has been rained on!

Back
Top Bottom