Skyrim - Why It Should Be Your GotY

I thought that was sort of the point of the amnesia plot device to address this. He was somewhat of a blank slate to begin with and the character knew no more about his past than you did as the player, but you both discovered it together.

In fact, I avoided making a major decision and taking a side in the second chapter and the game (well Triss) basically slapped me in the face and said 'look, you need to take a stand and decide who you want to be and who you are'. She was talking to Geralt of course but in some sense I also felt she was talking to me as a player.

The game also seemed to be making the point that the past doesn't so much matter as much as who you chose to be in the present does so I didn't feel at all weighed down by any backstory baggage.

Of course this was my personal experience and YMMV.

All those stories about amnesia (classical tricks in cRPGs) are often mostly motivated by the progression system. Very hard to appear credible when featuring The Witcher of The Witchers starting from blank, as a novitiate witcher. Less hard when the character has forgotten most of things and has to relearn them.

I am eager to see how they tackle that issue though in number 2 as again, starting from bottom might not make sense (I have not finished the game so I do not know yet if the man has recovered most of his capacities at the end of the game)

It changes nothing. The quote expresses the absence of RP possibilities as every behaviour is The Witcher's. Not matter the course of behaviour decided, the man is a Witcher (role) and true to his personality (character), voiding all reasons to speak about RP.

I still think that's a very swallow view that only acknowledges the obvious but my argument won't change so I won't pursue it. (+ I can't find a way to do so without offering at least a partial definition of RPG and we really don't want that do we?)

Acknowledging the obvious is different from denying the obvious. It also gives more free time and decreases the self importance feeling.

Let some time pass, and the men and studio involved release much better games, and you'll see some recognizing the design failure it is despite numerous good points.

Dungeon Siege have been a strong sell success but with time its design failures has became universally identified (it's a game I like but for sure I wouldn't make it as my top). And it's known it's a failure or at least a mid failure, design failure.

The problem with Oblivion is to have been one of the first console WRPG that initiate to that type of RPG many young console players. That sort of base plus a mass effect could forever glue Oblivion to the legend RPG, and time make it grow as such.

Madona is a good example of that, a young mass base, with time, make her identified as a great artist. When the fact is it's just kind pop music and good popularity management, not really interesting music, and few more interesting songs there and there.

I would be really happy if further games in the RPG genre showed the Xbox masses why Oblivion was so flawed but so far that hasn't happened. New Vegas brought back a ton of awesome RPG elements and seemed to get bashed for it more than anything by mainstream crowds.

We shall see though.

From what you get FNV get bashed? As far I know it got better review rates than FO3 reviews for consoles.

EDIT: Now I have played more FO3 and FNV, not enough, but still to get some perspective, I can understand why games like DA2 or even Avadon got bashed so hard and not fairly in my opinion.

JDR13 said:
Are you always this full of shit?
Is it an insult or is it not? Just wondering before answering on the same tone...

From what you get FNV get bashed? As far I know it got better review rates than FO3 reviews for consoles.

No, FO:NV has an overall lower score, check Metacritic for example. In user reviews on Gamespot FO3 also has a better score than NV.

FO3 is a bit more liked than FO:NV on most sites/forums except a few of the more "hardcore" ones, such as this site and NMA for example.

Yes on metacritic the difference is important, still have to forge my own more global opinion on both game and it will take time if I switch soon to TW2, it will be depend of finding a collector box, wait first bugs/patch requirement rumors, good performance on current computer. Well this let some chance to FO3. :)

FNV could be better than FO3 (or not) but I can't see why FO3 is so bad, it is a lot better than Oblivion anyway.

What bother me with Skyrim is to anticipate that I'll have to face to same old crap class/skill system and worse that awful approach of training through fake use. I was just happy with a sneaky exploration in wild in FO3 to reach a town and I though that in an Elder Scroll system I would have level up three time with an unwanted unballanced level up, not to mention that I would have to stop sneak like that if I wouldn't be worry to get constant free invisibility too soon.

but its not even out yet D:

unless the conspiracy theories about awards are true

Are you coming from another planet or what? It's since a long time it is known that video game can be analyzed and commented in deep before anything is released. I believed reading a post from a hermit that just escape his cave, OMG. :roll:

Because bethesda's bribe checks clear more often than anyone else's?

Back
Top Bottom