Solasta - License to use the D&D SRD 5.1 Ruleset

Non-combat skill I liked was the ability for mages to cast a "feather" spell on the spot when one or two party members are falling. It's pretty neat and, if all the dungeons are as vertical as the one presented in the demo, pretty usefull (especially if the rogue fail ALL his trap detection skillchecks god damn him!).

Oh, I've missed the preview. Thanks for the hint.

So non-combat skills are in. That's a good sign.

While I must admit that the concept sounds interesting, I don't think it's my cup of tea. At least not enough for me to back the KS campaign.

Here's their response to my question on Kickstarter:

"There will absolutely be side-quests. It's not just dungeon delving, there's a main campaign, a main town and everything. I'm fairly sure there will be way to avoid monsters and avoid conflict depending on the situation, but don't expect to talk / sneak your way out of every combat though!

Non-combat skills will probably be the focus of an article on our website in the future :)"

Where I think CRPG developers go wrong is trying to convert a tabletop ruleset to a real-time computer combat system. But this is just my opinion as many people apparently love the combat in the Infinity Engine games and NNW 1&2. And I think they did real-time D&D about as well as you can do with those games, even if I would've preferred turn-based.

Realize I shouldn't have quite been so harsh. Having a hard week of it. This is the general gist of what I'm saying, which is there is no 1:1 translation. Tabletop games are made for tabletop. When you are creating digital entertainment, you have to create a ruleset which supports the medium. For instance, I doubt Thief would make a great tabletop game with "digital rules," in the same way I feel "D&D" makes a less-than-stellar computer game with "tabletop rules." There is always some degree of translation required, and not all of it translates well. Some of the early warning about this project came when I watched videos of an early build, where all the spells were drawn from D&D, yet 80% of them were simple attack spells like "magic missile." This may work in tabletop games, but in computerized games, I'd rather see something that has more utility…spells that move objects in the environment, create oil slicks, something special. And interactive environments, like Fort Triumph and Divinity: Original Sin 1/2 are trying, for instance. It doesn't matter if you have 80+ spells, if some 60-odd spells are direct attack spells with no utility, and no impact on the characters or the environments. It just seems like sloppy porting from one ruleset to another. And before anyone comments, yes, I did play the Infinity engine games, and I found them less-than-stellar. Planescape was nice, but I could live without another Baldur's Gate--with it's auto-pathfinding and indirect control of characters. I am hoping they go full turn-based with #3, because that allows a more minute control over character actions, and allows me to feel in direction control of a "party." That said, I'm sure some loyalists will complain. Sorry to sh!t all over your favorite game, but I'm far more interested in how we can build a system that supports "video gaming" than adapt a system that is not tuned for digital entertainment.

An imitation is a great form of admiration but it must be done correctly. And yes many people play Infinity Engine games without playing much D&D.

An imitation is a great form of admiration but it must be done correctly. And yes many people play Infinity Engine games without playing much D&D.
As I said before, an imitation is a great form of admiration but it must be done correctly. And yes many people play Infinity Engine games without playing much D&D. But that is just what it is. Divinity OS II is pretty cool I liked it a lot! The Temple of Elemental Evil game is pretty old but it has this vintage 2000 look which I actually like for nostalgia reasons… Never winters nights also has this feel of 2000 that I like. I would say that copying 80% of the spellbook isn't a bad thing. It is easy for a developer to just go to https://dndguide.net/ at this point and copy-paste them into a game. Also since many people are used to them it makes a comfortable playing experience.

Back
Top Bottom