Star Trek Discovery - Extortion

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Anyone else waiting out the subscription extortion? I use Netflix, Vudu & Amazon Prime. I’m not about to carry a network specific subscriptions. I’m happy to buy episodes or seasons but a monthly subscription - no way. I know CBS got a ratings boost from football ads. I wonder how this is going for them?

Fortunately, living in Canada has a few benefits, one of those being the shows on the CBS internet platform are, so far, available on tv. If I were not getting these shows on cable, I certainly wouldn't pay for them separately, I'd just borrow the future dvd's from our library. Discovery is somewhat interesting, but like most shows that I watch, eighty percent of the cast are straight up intolerably dumb for the most part.

Yes, CBS would have to pay a subscription charge to my head each month to tolerate that show, and it would be pretty steep for something so irritating.

I don't see how this is considered extorsion and HBO isn't. They're content producers, they can decide how to distribute their content however they want. If nobody subscribes then they'll change their system. So don't subscribe if you don't like it, wait for the show to come out in DVD/Bluray.

If CBS had a ton of content like HBO it would be a different story. This subscription would give you what besides Star Trek? Super Girl? I’ll pass

Anyone else waiting out the subscription extortion? I use Netflix, Vudu & Amazon Prime. I’m not about to carry a network specific subscriptions. I’m happy to buy episodes or seasons but a monthly subscription - no way. I know CBS got a ratings boost from football ads. I wonder how this is going for them?
CBS screwed USA and I agree that it sucks. Because elsewhere it's available on Netflix.
As wolfling suggested the cure is waiting for DVD release which wil be cheaper than CBS subscription. Another solution is syndication to other channels/services when the season is over.
the series is an absolute shitfest
It's not.

Well I'm happy to pay a la carte. We need a super entity that everyone funnels content through. I know every network resists this because of advertising and control but its inevitable. CBS, HBO, Showtime... these should all be studios producing content. The consumer does not want multiple subscriptions. This is why the Cable model works!

Why would you wait? Just download the series. It's not that hard to find.

Screw paying a subscription to CBS for just 1 show.

That sounds like advocating for actually stealing programing. Which is something I'd never do myself, even for a show that I really really like, say, Twin Peaks. Art that is created shouldn't simply be taken, and thankfully these productions seem to make it onto buyable formats rather quickly these days.

If I misunderstood the prior post, my apologies.

It's on netflix in Norway. I started watching it weekly, but after a couple of episodes I completely lost interest. Not sure why. It's not even bad, just extremely uninteresting.

pibbur who is not a trekkie, but still ...

I don't see how this is considered extorsion and HBO isn't. They're content producers, they can decide how to distribute their content however they want. If nobody subscribes then they'll change their system. So don't subscribe if you don't like it, wait for the show to come out in DVD/Bluray.

Extortion may be a strong word but I can understand why it rubs some people the wrong way, especially if you’re a trek fan.

HBO has always been a premium service offering premium content such as movies before they were Available on network tv.

CBS on the other hand has always been a free network. So taking 1 show based on a very popular IP and placing it behind a paywall ( only in certain regions) to capitalize on its fans is pretty crappy imo. So I can understand why people are upset.

I fortunately don’t care about Star Trek but I would hate to see this set a precedent. The idea of paying above and beyond for each and every network to access gated content is not appealing to me. Cable and satellite tv are already outrageously expensive and Id hate to think of the implications now that net neutrality has been abolished.

in usa amazon prime $10 service now carries cbs access….

I will have to keep this in mind, since Amazon Prime has original shows of their own, plus all the other advantages (free shipping for stuff you buy).

I like the show so far. The overall plot has been pretty interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the story develops. But Jason Isaacs is sort of carrying the show for me. Without him I would probably lose interest, since the other actors are kind of weak.

Last edited:
That sounds like advocating for actually stealing programing. Which is something I'd never do myself, even for a show that I really really like, say, Twin Peaks. Art that is created shouldn't simply be taken, and thankfully these productions seem to make it onto buyable formats rather quickly these days.

If I misunderstood the prior post, my apologies.

No, I'm advocating downloading a show which, unless I misunderstood, is eventually going to be free anyways.

I would never do that with a game, but I don't view all forms of media the same.

Why would you wait? Just download the series. It's not that hard to find.

Screw paying a subscription to CBS for just 1 show.

That's illegal so as usual, I can't support the idea.
What's not illegal is using VPN and creating a test Netflix acc. As it's a mass of data, you won't be able to use free VPNs though.

It *is* shady but for all I know there is absolutely no law in any country that punishes watching a legit (free or paid) stream through VPN. Well, except in China. Using VPN for anything there is strictly forbidden.

Now I don't like shady things, but geoblocking in digital era needs to die already. I'm sick and tired of it.

EDIT:
Related to this somewhat. Amazon ditched it's ripoff services Anime Strike and Heera. What you had to pay for extra, is now included in Prime for free:
https://kotaku.com/amazon-kills-unpopular-anime-strike-service-1821803638

Last edited:
We currently have CBS All Access ... which has devolved over the last year to pretty much just mean we can watch Madam Secretary at our convenience. When I pointed that out to my wife, she agreed that it makes no sense. However, we got a huge discount through an annualized purchase and could buy two years ... so we’re covered into 2019 at this point.

Definitely hate the concept and will not renew.

Back
Top Bottom