Starcraft 2 announced!

blizzard is like chinese food. its not the best quality and too much is surely not healthy or wise, but hot damn most of the world can't help but enjoy it at some point in there life. that said i've played all of blizzards' games except the burning crusade and don't doubt starcraft will be fun, though not keeping my hopes up for it to match the amazing experience of the original.

refined and polish to me are not enough to define the quality i seek these days. blizzard was my favourite dev for years but none of their games ever had any real depth which for me is something that takes gaming to a new level. i mean both warcraft adventures and ghost (even though console only) had the chance for them to make much more story/immersive games, but as fate would have it neither made the chopping block. my hunch is that those decisions have actually helped blizzard to keep making quality refined games but as with anything that is perfected it results in squeezing out wierdness and quirks that are usually key elements found in products that generate cult followings not just worldwide accolades and appeal. all in all though blizzard is a boon to gaming as it sets a bar (the easier one ) for what companies should strive for in many areas of quality. the other bar can't really be set but there are many games/devs who do add innovations that help to show what is possible.

Sounds like you're looking for depth and something new("innovations"), but that shouldn't be used as a measuring stick for quality. There are plenty of games that have depth or innovations, yet lack quality.

but none of their games ever had any real depth

I'm taking the position of a heretic here : The less depth, the better it sells ?

Polished they are, yes.

By the way, bought yesterday WarCraft II as an "Exclusive Edition" yesterday on a flea market. I guess it was some kind of what we call nowadays "Collector's Edition".

I'm taking the position of a heretic here : The less depth, the better it sells ?

Polished they are, yes.

By the way, bought yesterday WarCraft II as an "Exclusive Edition" yesterday on a flea market. I guess it was some kind of what we call nowadays "Collector's Edition".

it's not necessarily a collector's edition. alot of time special edition means it is actually more like an extended demo of the game. they used to that a lot more escpecially when games were packaged left and right with audio/vidoe cards. my copy of warcraft 1 was actually such a copy that i got with a soundblaster card in ~95. it had around 8 missions i think and was quite fun at the time.

If you, or anyone else, can actually get Warcraft 2 running smoothly on a one of todays high end computers, let me know how. I've been trying to play this old classic for quite some time now, and I've managed to get to the point where the game itself runs well, but I can't get any sound effects/music, and playing Warcraft 2 without the top notch sound track just isn't the same.

So I take it you have tried all of the emulation (DOSBox) and virtualization (VMWare/Virtual PC) options? I bet it should run quite nicely with one or either of those.

I have no problems running the game, but I never get any sound, regardless of emulator.

I'm also excited about SC2. I loved SC1 and I like that Blizzard wants to make the second one similar to the first. My only quarrels with SC2 were the new model for the Siege Tank which looked really ugly imo. But now that I'm hearing it was remodeled, all is fine. I'm looking forward to the CG cinematics, with which Blizzard can do no wrong. I mean Blur.:D

Maybe I'll blur one day, too.

With Blizzcon there is a lot of new information about SC2. It seems that between missions players will return to the main ship where they will be able to do different things(buy stuff, purchase upgrades, talk to NPCs, etc). This part of the game will be similar to an adventure game, featuring dialog trees. Here's a screen. It looks really impressive imo.
Alternative link.

The tech trees have also been displayed, for the terrans and protoss.
Protoss tech tree
Terran tech tree

And also some ingame footage. Looks really nice.
http://www.gameriot.com/news/4084/BlizzCon-Footage-StarCraft-2/
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/vids_1.html

Read through the June? issue of PCGamer and it had a great deal of info on Starcraft II. Looking really nice. I never played the first one, but I played Warcraft, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the game through something other than the books, all of which I have read. ;)

Last edited:
Now they call this "storymode" ? Interesting.

"Oh, I'm gonna play a storymode game now, Paps. The things you used to call an 'adventure game'."

Thanks for the links ... cool looking stuff. Perhaps my aversion to RTS will have worn off again by then ;)

Back
Top Bottom