Starcraft Successor Stormgate Funded

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Only downside is the game is F2P but I'll probably give it a look one-day.

Wow, they totally crushed their Kickstarter campaign - $1,219,633 with 54 days to go! Looks interesting, I might back this.

It doesn't really surprise me. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. StarCraft had a massive fan base, and they've been waiting for years for something similar to come along.

I wouldn't say it's nostalgia. The RTS genre has been dead for ages; the last good one I played was Supreme Commander.

As for this teaser/promo piece, I can't say I'm a fan of the art style but, at the end of the day, it won't be about that if the gameplay is solid.

I wouldn't say it's nostalgia. The RTS genre has been dead for ages; the last good one I played was Supreme Commander.
Wouldn't that be nostalgia? i.e. yearning to play that style of game again?

There have been plenty of other RTS games released over the years. I think this would have been successful anyways, but I have zero doubt the similarities to StarCraft/Warcraft gave it a significant boost.

Ashes of the Singularity would be the only real recent contender for this style of RTS. It was terrible upon release, but is better now. Before that, there wasn't much of anything since Supreme Commander. Dawn of War was 'alright' but, nothing to write home about.

The Kickstarter campaign for Frost Giant's fledgling RTS Stormgate met its $100,000 goal in 15 minutes. It hit $1 million in under 48 hours. Now it's crossed the $2 million line. But Stormgate isn't a brand-new project: Its development was fully-funded prior to the crowdfunding campaign.

I recently spoke to Frost Giant communications director Gerald Villoria about the campaign, and why the company decided to go ahead with a crowdfunding campaign for a free-to-play game that was already privately funded through its early access release this summer.

Before it became the number one videogame Kickstarter of 2023, Frost Giant had already raised $35 million in its initial round of funding for Stormgate, Villoria said. That strong investor support is not surprising, considering that the company is run by previous development leads on such games as StarCraft 2, Warcraft 3 and Command & Conquer.

That $35 million was intended to be enough to get the team across the summer finish line for its Steam early access release, and also ended up paying for some other things, like putting Simu Liu in the game.

"That said, modern AAA game budgets are often measured in the hundreds of millions, and that's not counting marketing budgets," Villoria said. "So while $35 million may seem like a lot of money, it pales in comparison to what the biggest studios are spending.

"What our funding didn't cover was many of the extras and special amenities that are only possible with big publishing budgets, such as a physical Collector's Edition of our game and expanding our beta pool."

Back
Top Bottom