Suggestions?

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor
I am after suggested games to play please.

First, some constraints.
(1) I appreciate it is heresy but I don't really want to play another top down game, aka Pilkars of Eternity, and yes I have tried several times again recently and I suspect I burnt myself out playing and replaying BG & IWN and I just can't get into them at the moment so please don't suggest that style
(2) it can't require particular key combinations and sequences (such as 2 on one hand at once), QTEs, or dependencies on timing. Why? I have major issues with my hands, 5 rounds of surgery so far. So, for example, I bought and really looked forward to dishonoured 2 but I can't manage it as it requires jump timing, slide timing, and requires multiple simultaneous key presses (yes probably because the UI is console friendly but that isn't relevant for my problem). Same is true if other non-RPG games such as RememberMe

So with all of those constraints, any suggestions please???

(1) it's not heresy, a person sometimes wants something else
(2) QTE suck and luckily on PC most of games don't use that rubbish

Get Mass Effect games, pick Adept class, stay in the back, order your sidekicks to tank and destroy *everything*! When your hands get in some better shape, pick Vanguard and blink everywhere as if it was Dishonored.

Sorry to hear about your hand problems. I will suggest a few different games in a few genres that you may like.

1 - The Quest. First-person RPG, turn-based, similar to Morrowind or Might & Magic.

2 - Conquest of Elysium 3. Very deep and unique fantasy-strategy game. From the same makers behind the Dominions series.

3 - Roller Coaster Tycoon. Totally random but a very good game to relax and test your management abilities on. It's very satisfying and also challenging on the harder scenarios.

4 - Last Dream. "Old-school" JRPG-style, but with many advanced features. Open-world, lots of content and lots of secrets to uncover. Recommended if you enjoy the NES/SNES JRPGs like Final Fantasy but want something that is newer and has a lot of advanced features.

5 - SanctuaryRPG. This is a roguelike RPG with ASCII graphics. It is surprisingly addictive and fun, with lots of different possibilities and things to experience in each run. Can be quite challenging as well.

Hope you find something of interest here and more importantly hope your hands get better, my dude! Peace.

Thank you for all the suggestions!!

There are certainly some I never thought of, appreciated.

Unfortunately the hands will probably never be much better, hopefully a bit less painful, but movement and fast usage restrictions I expect to never change.

I very much appreciate the support.

Thank you for all the suggestions!!

There are certainly some I never thought of, appreciated.

Unfortunately the hands will probably never be much better, hopefully a bit less painful, but movement and fast usage restrictions I expect to never change.

I very much appreciate the support.

What about turn based RPGs then ?

Games like Expeditions Conquistador, Banner Saga, Blackguards, XCOM. None of these require fast hand movements as they are turn based.

Thank you all again. I did forget to add one constraint, I can't play anything that requires significant concentration or thought. While I can adjust some of the required intellectual effort by playing on easiest settings for several games, there are whole classes of game styles, for example strategy games or Tycoon type games, that the balancing of resources, cognitive effort is very much part of the games fabric

In case anyone isn't asleep already, here is where I have got to with the suggestions.

BTW, this purely my thoughts and NOT a reflection on suggestions. They have all been appreciated and look at.

- Mass Effect, excellent except ME3 has effectively a QTE to kill the reaper on Rannoch, so I restarted ME2 just this evening and added to my hours
- The Quest - looks very much worth trying so will purchase and do so
- Conquest ...3 - probably not as resource management and some thought appears integral from what I have seen through my research
- Rollercoaster Tycoon- sorry no, needs at least some thought
- Last Dream - probably not as quite top-down in parts and I remember printing ASCII art out and displaying near my desk, cringe worthy times I don't want to relive through an ASCII game (BTW I used to be able to sight read ASCII core dumps for RSX-11M)
- Sanctuary - no, see sordid ASCII history above
- World of warships - sorry no, looks fun but I'm competitive so would think too much
- Expeditions - I have Conquistador so may retry, still lots of top-down though
- Banner Saga - looks amazing, still lots of top-down though
- Blackguards - I have the first so may retry, still lots of top-down though
- XCOM - I have it but probably won't retry as requires too much thought balancing things etc., still lots of top-down also

Oh, why can I play CIV 6 which I am for many hours? I started with CIV 1 and beat it and Civ 2 and Civ 3 on hardest settings (EVENTUALLY!) so Civ 6 on easy settings with no barbarians and only a few AI civilisations isn't very demanding intellectually

Last Dream is not ASCII, it is 2D pixel. Sort of like an SNES Final Fantasy game. Sanctuary is ASCII but a bit "advanced" or modern ASCII. But I understand. Conquest 3 also requires some thought.

Civ series is nice. The Quest is a good choice, too. Enjoy! :)

What is your preferred style of gaming? Keyboard + mouse or a gamepad? A friend of mine also had some sort of issue with his hands/wrists, and he ended up finding a Steam controller far more comfortable than a traditional K+M setup. He then spent some time setting it up properly, and has since proceeded to play just about any RPG he wants.

As for RPGs without too much fuss, how about KotOR? Jade Empire? Fable (don't get the enhanced edition, the old TLC edition is actually a superior PC port)? Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4 are also pretty straight forward, but I guess they might be a bit too twitchy. I suppose the same applies to Skyrim, Risen and Gothic.

You can also go oldschool of course, such as Might & Magic 6-8 and so on. They're certainly challenging, but more in terms of planning and character progression than actual gameplay.

Thanks maylander, I use mouse and keyboard. I haven't tried a game pad and that is worth trying!

I missed KOTOR and Jade Empire when they came out and they now seem old to me (maybe it is just me getting old though!) I also realise I am sounding very fussy!

You are right Fallout etc. too twitchy even at lowest settings. I play a little of them when my hands are less bad to break things up. M&M etc. too much old school for me. I missed them when they came out as I spent about 10 years not really gaming so again they don't feel right to me.

However, thank you all again certainly ideas and food for thought!

Bear in mind that Maylander was talking specifically about the Steam controller, which is unique among gamepads - it uses two touchpads rather than the traditional sticks (or mushrooms, as Joxer would have it.)

http://store.steampowered.com/hardware

It's a bit of a Vegemite - some swear by it, and others loath it. It certainly might be worth a try for your particular needs. The touch sensitivity is very adjustable.

If you liked Civilization then Endless Legend could work out, too, at low difficulty. But it's a lot of top down so maybe in a few months.

The Dragon Age games might work. The combat isn't technically turn based but, when you press space, all action stops. Just hit space a whole lot and you've got a turn based game.

Final Fantasy X is all turn based. Earlier/later Final Fantasy games (even X-2 I think) aren't but I don't remember anything but turn based in X. The HD remake spruced up the graphics, too. I just checked and you can definitely re-map keys.

Thanks for clarification Ripper - steam controllers are A$90 here :-(

Thanks, Zloth re Endless Legend, I have played a little but will try again. I will have a look at the FF but they are culturally so different each time I've tried I haven't really enjoyed.

FFVI is a good one to start with, IMO. Has the top-down 2D graphics and a Steampunk-meets-magic type setting. Pretty good game, but does require some quick thought since the battle system is ATB (active turn-based, i.e. you have to act somewhat quickly when you get a turn).

I have no idea what you've played in the past so I'll simply recommend Wizardry 8. If you do not heed this recommendation, may the ghost of Dte haunt you for eternity.

Grimrock 1 & 2?

I have no idea what you've played in the past so I'll simply recommend Wizardry 8. If you do not heed this recommendation, may the ghost of Dte haunt you for eternity.

The ghost of DTE haunts us still. (I think the silly bugger should just come back to life.)

Grimrock 1 & 2?

Too twitch-y, I'd say.

If you want a turn-based dungeon-crawler, well, I'd usually recommend Elminage Gothic here, but since you need quite a bit of thinkin' to play that game, nevermind. :p

Maybe Stranger of Sword City if you want a turn-based 'crawler? Haven't played it but it seems pretty to look at and I hear the dungeons are not very involved or tricky, so less thinkin' needed. :p

Once again great ideas and suggestions- very much appreciated.

So, I've ordered a steam controller (thanks maylander & Ripper), I bought The Quest and will try it tomorrow (thanks Fluent), and many things I've tried or are low in my seemingly infinite backlog are back on the to try list! Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom