The Bard's Tale - Added to Steam

I played the demo for inXile's Bard's Tale and hated it. It compares to the original Bard's Tale in the same way that BG: Dark Alliance compares to Baldur's Gate……epic fail.

Is the original "Bard's Tale" there, too ?

I mean - either on Steam or on GOG ?

None of the games from the original Bard's Tale series are currently available on Steam or GoG. You can find the original versions of them at Abandonia.

I played the demo for inXile's Bard's Tale and hated it. It compares to the original Bard's Tale in the same way that BG: Dark Alliance compares to Baldur's Gate……epic fail.

At least the BG:DA games were fun for what they were ... I liked the GBA game and my kids still play theCube version on occasion

i just put a couple hours into it. I bought the boxed version on Amazon a while ago, and figured I'd give it a whirl between DA:O session. It's worth noting that it comes w/ the prior games in the series included when you buy the boxed game. I didnt bother w/ the prior games, try as I may, I cant seem to stomach a lot of the way old classics. BG is the cutoff date for me.

This iteration pretty much sucks, for lack of a better term atm. Tho I do intend on returning and giving it another shot soon before I uninstall and shelf it, after all it was a 6 gig install - i want to see if I can get something out of it. It's an action-rpg, where you can basically summon minions to fight w/ you. The humor is ok, and it's not a bad looking game, but the control is pretty lacking.

There's a particularly infuriating control issue that it doesnt seem that I can do anything about: double click=auto run. Now in an action-rpg where your whole world revolves around clicking around and on things, this is very poor control decision by the designer. It's not very fun when your bard is running around in circles all the time because you clicked too close together. Also, the targeting system sucks. Again, action-rpg modus operendi is pretty standard - you click on something, you run up and kill it. In this game, you have to run up and be directly on something to whack at it, then click attack to start swinging. If you click from afar youll just sit there swinging away. So you click around trying to get close to moving opponents, then you accidentally click too soon to the last click and auto-run and are running around while they pound on you….

Yeah, it had me cursing a bit this morning. I think playing as a ranged character would be better.

The zoom level is too close in, the map is too small and doesnt show you much, there doesnt appear to be a grand map that shows the entire area, etc etc. I didnt like BG: DA because i dont like things that come at me from offscreen. That's the way this game plays, thankfully you can see the red dots on the map. Still, it's pretty lame.

Also, interactable objects are not/can not be highlighted in any way. You arent given a chance to interact with something, or even told that you can w/ a cursor clue unless standing very near something. You can then hit your interact key, or double click. Which can at times of course send you into your auto run, so it's double click on something then run right past it! So in a nutshell you have to canvass every square inch of all maps to find everything you can interact with.

It's radial-menu style, and you have to jump thru chains of stuff to find what youre looking for. The chains arent that long, and once you know the routine it's not that bad, but it's clearly console game and it feels like one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom