The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Led Zeppelin may very well be the best band ever by most polls, and there is no mistaking that they were one of the best all-time, and definitely pushed the boundaries, but by god I think 99% of the live stuff Ive heard from Robert Plant is downright awful. The music is absolutely amazing, but the live vocals, IMHO not so much. From the studio he sounds fantastic though

Yeah, I've heard both Page and Plant say that they were quite inconsistent, with great nights and awful ones. They say some of it stemmed from constantly reimprovising the songs, to stop touring becoming too boring. Also, their live recordings tend to come from later in their career, when drugs and problems were creeping in, and they were being managed by east end gangsters.

Was able to listen to Fleetwood Mac on Friday night - only concert in Germany. Good stuff. :)

Despite my love for Prog Rock, Ive never really been a huge fan of Yes. They are a great band, but I can only handle Jon Anderson vocals in small doses. However, I love this solo album by their bassist Chris Squire. Good stuff here

Chris Squire - Fish Out of Water [full album]

Last edited:
Last edited:
RHP was a little spare for my taste, but I did like this one for some reason:
"Have You Forgotten"

For me today, something a bit unexpected. Heard this at Red Lobster and it completely caught my ear. Fortunately, my oldest actually knew what it was. I have no idea if it was ever popular or if the band is completely unknown. Could have been out of the 80's me thinks.
"Out of My League" by Fitz and the Tantrums

That album was created with his previous bandmate and composer, Andrew Jackman. I've really liked their collaborations I've heard.

One of my favorites from the 4AD catalog.

Red House Painters - Katy Song

ALSO a live recording gem found on Youtube

Mark Kozelek - Have You Forgotten (Live)

A bit dreary and slogging but wonderful

Red House Painters - 24

Have you heard Mark Kozelek's album of AC/DC covers? I really like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKO96zAq4E

Despite my love for Prog Rock, Ive never really been a huge fan of Yes. They are a great band, but I can only handle Jon Anderson vocals in small doses. However, I love this solo album by their bassist Chris Squire. Good stuff here

Chris Squire - Fish Out of Water [full album]

Fortunately with Yes (at least the 'real' stuff with Bill Bruford) is mostly instrumental ... which is really the only reason to put them on. Like Rush, for that matter ... though they're pretty disposable because of how derivative they are.

Why Lordi took part for Finland in 2006's ESC and not them I'll never understand. But hey, Finland won either way. ;)

Fortunately with Yes (at least the 'real' stuff with Bill Bruford) is mostly instrumental … which is really the only reason to put them on. Like Rush, for that matter … though they're pretty disposable because of how derivative they are.

My favourite Yes album is Relayer, with Alan White on Drums. After Going for the One (or Tormatoe - I like that one) things started going down(es), 90125 wasn't too bad, but more of a pop album. The rest is ... ouch, except for Fly From Here which like 90125 isn't too bad.

pibbur who has no problems with mr Anderson on vocals, but who couldn't stand the Rush singer until a couple of years ago.

pibbur who has no problems with mr Anderson on vocals, but who couldn't stand the Rush singer until a couple of years ago.

I dont necessarily dislike high pitched vocals but there is something about Andersons vocals that grate on my nerves after awhile.

Geddy Lee in the studio sounds good, but live he has a weird, whiney sound to his voice alot of the time

For me today, something a bit unexpected. Heard this at Red Lobster and it completely caught my ear. Fortunately, my oldest actually knew what it was. I have no idea if it was ever popular or if the band is completely unknown. Could have been out of the 80's me thinks.
"Out of My League" by Fitz and the Tantrums

Nice hooky pop that. A single from 2013 apparently. Definitely has an 80s sound in the echoey vocal, though. The heavily processed instrument belies its modern nature though. :)

Last edited:
Road trip this Saturday to see the Dave Matthews Band (for the 29th time, not including a Dave Matthews and Friends cruise we went on) in Mansfield MA, so Im gearing up by listening to some live stuff

Tim Reynolds is such an underrated guitar player

DMB Live Trax #13

Last edited:
Road trip this Saturday to see the Dave Matthews Band (for the 29th time, not including a Dave Matthews and Friends cruise we went on) in Mansfield MA, so Im gearing up by listening to some live stuff

Tim Reynolds is such an underrated guitar player

DMB Live Trax #13

Enjoy! I have to admit that my brain still thinks 'Great Woods' when I read your concert location :)

Enjoy! I have to admit that my brain still thinks 'Great Woods' when I read your concert location :)

Ha! Yeah that sounds better than Xfinity Center!

Our normal choice of venue for DMB is either Bethel Woods (my preferred spot but hes only played there a few times) or Saratoga, but with the shows at SPAC being on July 4th weekend I thought it might be a bit much (and again hes not playing Bethel Woods)

OK, if anyone is still listening, and you're up for more industrial electronica weirdness from my youth, check out the the eminent and entertaining Severed Heads.

The artist Tom Ellard has remastered much of the work beautifully, and this album is one of my favorites.

Severed Heads - Come Visit the Big Bigot (25 years)

It's all great, but if you want to pick and choose:

Harold and Cindy Hospital
20 Deadly Diseases (12")
Propellor

Those aren't the most interesting tracks, but are probably the most accessible. The most interesting need a couple listens to appreciate for most…

ALSO, HEADPHONES (or great imaging speakers) are a MUST

Last edited:
That album was created with his previous bandmate and composer, Andrew Jackman. I've really liked their collaborations I've heard.

One of my favorites from the 4AD catalog.

Red House Painters - Katy Song

ALSO a live recording gem found on Youtube

Mark Kozelek - Have You Forgotten (Live)

A bit dreary and slogging but wonderful

Red House Painters - 24

I listened to one of these and when it was done it drifted into another song by them which I really liked

Moments

I never heard these guys but I like it!

Back
Top Bottom