The Last Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

And in World Hockey news (IIHF), more interesting than NHL imo, USA is on a serious roll, they collectively smacked Czech Republic into submission. And Canada took the proverbial crown from Finland. The next matches should be really swell, Lat vs Canada and Ger vs USA.

All tied up at the end of the first between Dallas and Vegas and, should the latter notch a victory tonight, it'll be all over for the former.

Still tied with 14:00 left to go. At least this game is more competitive than the last one was.

*Edit* And to overtime we go again...

Last edited:
Dallas lives to fight another day. If they had been swept, it would have been the first time since 1992 that both conference finals ended in sweeps.

I really thought Vegas would wrap it all up last night, guess not. Though I'd still say the odds are highly in their favour, we'll find out soon enough.

And in excellent IIHF news, USA falls victim to the uber German squad, and Latvia take a big loss against Canada. Now we'll have a most excellent finish with Latvia vs US and Canada vs Germany, both matches on Sunday.

Wow, Germany and Latvia take medals? First time for Latvia I read. What happened US? I take it Russia wasn't allowed to play, not even anonymously.

Pretty shocked that Florida vs Carolina was a sweep. Every game was a super close defensive slog in contrast to every other series in the Playoffs so far - so that means the Panthers were just that much better at it than the Canes.

Nice to see Dallas find their game. Maybe if they played without Benn for the rest of the series they'd win it. Ha! But seriously, Dallas clearly has some improved scouting on Vegas and it shows the Knights can't give up a lead ever on them because the Stars are ready to take advantage of an overaggressive LV team needing to make a comeback. If Dallas can get the lead early we could see game 7.

This will be yet another game on Memorial Day the NHL played since the Bruins got an extra day of rest in 2011 so Vancouver couldn't take an advantage of an exhausted Zdeno Chara. Bettman you hypocrite!

Pretty shocked that Florida vs Carolina was a sweep. Every game was a super close defensive slog in contrast to every other series in the Playoffs so far - so that means the Panthers were just that much better at it than the Canes.
After seeing Florida come back from a 3-1 series deficit to beat a Boston team that set an NHL record for wins in a season, nothing they're doing is surprising me now.

At this point, the only thing that will shock me is if they don't win the Cup.

We'll see if Vegas can tuck Dallas away tonight, failing that we'll be in for another game in that series. And as JDR said, after the smackdown that the Panthers laid on the Beaners, I'd not write them out of anything. When the gumption is required, they've been able to go back to the well and summon it, almost every time this season.

BTW, I think it's super awesome that the entire country of Latvia got a new holiday out of their victory. You simply cannot make stuff up that's any better than that!

Vegas put an end to that series quite emphatically. The finals should be good even though I can think of a lot of teams I'd rather see playing for the Cup.

Interestingly enough, both the NHL and NBA have a #1 seed playing a #8 for the championship.

Back
Top Bottom