Oblivion The Let's Rant and Rave About Oblivion Thread

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
They implemented features people had liked in Daggerfall and missed in Morrowind (horses and map teleport), but these features were rather unnecessary in a game world as small as Oblivion's.

I finished the game after completing the Dark Brotherhood and main quest lines. The questing system felt same as in Morrowind, no improvement, and got outshinned when compared to quest in The Witcher, Gothic series, Ice windale, etc.

However if you create your own adventure, collectig books, hunting, etc it's still as fun as Morrowind, with good atmosphere, good sound and graphics. It's better if you play it as a sandbox type game.

Well, actually I feel bad when I think I payed for this $65 (Collector's Edition that I bought it in USA). The vanilla Oblivion was fun for a few days but later I saw how shitty it is. I mean I loved Morrowind, but everything that was good in Morrowind they made worse in Oblivion. The good thing about this game is a Construction Set and modders that really improved the game (Im not talking about new houses etc, but mods that improve the game technically, like "Deadly Reflex"). With gigabytes of mods this game starts to be fun. But still this game is dumb. NPCs that talks to me like I were a retard, MQ about being an epic hero saving the world from a bad guy etc. I am sure that I won't buy anything anymore from Bethesda (and now they make Fallout 3 :[ ).

Well, I guess I disagree with most of you.
I love Oblivion. I think it's heads and shoulders over Morrowind, and any of the previous Daggerfalls.
The faction quest lines are quite good. I liked the Fighters Guild and Mage Guild lines, and I really liked the Thieve's Guild line, and really really like the Dark Brotherhood line, which surprised me, because I'm not a 'dark' type person.
There are more places to find and explore than most people have the patience to do, in my opinion. It is more of a sandbox world, of course, why else have a construction set allowing you to completely rebuild the world?
Just my worthless two cents, it's beautiful beyond belief, and I enjoy just 'being' in the world, and I enjoyed the Guild quest lines immensely as well as the main quest line. Are there some things I would like improved? Sure, but nothing so earthshattering that I'd bad mouth the game publicly. My thanks to Bethesda for Oblivion, I still enjoy it after all this time.

I was thinking of reinstalling Oblivion after not having played it in over a year, I just have a question.

Is it still necessary to use a special patch in order to activate anti-aliasing + HDR lighting, or did they finally get around to fixing that?

I was thinking of reinstalling Oblivion after not having played it in over a year, I just have a question.

Is it still necessary to use a special patch in order to activate anti-aliasing + HDR lighting, or did they finally get around to fixing that?

AFAIK that was a hardware limitation at least for Nvidia cards. You can manually enable it for ATI cards. If your card is good enough for high resolutions, the absence of AA isn't very noticeable.

...Yup, thats what the FAQ still says: http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=561101
(topic 4.15)

Yes, the first card to support AA and HDR was the ATI X1800XT my geforce 7800 GTX was the last card not to support it :(

I think AA + HDR makes a very noticeable difference in certain situations.

Hey guys why is this one still sticky?Les Let's Rant and Rave About Fallout 3:biggrin:!!

It's still here to stop people ranting about Oblivion in the middle of Fallout 3 threads!! :)

There simply isn't that much to rant about in Fallout 3, it's actually a good game!

Exactly, there are plenty of things to quibble about, and even some decent complaints, but *rant* ... not really. Certainly not like Oblivion.

There simply isn't that much to rant about in Fallout 3, it's actually a good game!
I agree but there are many people who hate Fallout 3 more than Oblivion,for me F3 is much better than I expected.

...i just got Oblivion for my Xbox360. The GOTY edition. After playing Fallout 3 on my pc with a gamepad i wanted to revisit Oblivion, but on my pc the Gamepad didn't "work". (I have the Collectors edition for my PC).
(It worked but it was really lousy implemented)

(O boy, its Dead space fault that i even started with a gamepad...)

The experience on the XBOX on the couch its soo much better. I even like closing Oblivion gates now. The game feel much more relaxed.

And i was surprised about how good it looks on the Xbox... only thing i detest is the loading of extra content (shivering isle and knights of the nine). Lets hope i now finally finish this game.

(Just wanted to make sure this thread was about oblivion ... :) )

I agree but there are many people who hate Fallout 3 more than Oblivion,for me F3 is much better than I expected.

I can't understand how people could hate FO3 more than Oblivion ( I personally like both games, although I've only played a little of FO3 so far). Bethesda did away with the #1 complaint, which was the level scaling.

I would guess that the majority of those FO3 "haters" simply don't enjoy the post apocalyptic setting, or they're old time Fallout fans who are still crying over the loss of their isometric view and turn-based combat.

I would guess that the majority of those FO3 "haters" simply don't enjoy the post apocalyptic setting, or they're old time Fallout fans who are still crying over the loss of their isometric view and turn-based combat.

That would be my assumption as well.

didn't Bethesda did a cool job of integrating the turn-based system in the game via the VATS system? i speak from hearsay since i've yet to receive my copy of FO3.

I'd like to rave about the fact that Amazon sold me a brand new GOTY edition for $19.99 with free shipping. After watching USED copies go for $28-30 like clockwork on eBay, I felt like I won the lottery. Now that I have the game, I must wait 3 weeks or so before I have time for it. Still, I'm excited to play the game in it's mostly-finished (and properly modded) state, at a price behind which even a cheapscate like me can get.

I bought Oblivion shortly after I bought my 360, and I played it a few times, but the game is so big that I can't keep my attention focused on it for long enough to actually do anything. Don't get me wrong, it seems to be a very good game, it's just so large that I would never get around to finishing it.

Welcome to the forums. Depending on how you play it, and what, if any, mods you use, the game is not actually as big as previous offerings like Morrowind, or Daggerfall!!

Back
Top Bottom