The TV Series discussion thread

Joxer: A really informative review. Thanks for writing it! It was both irratating and hilarious how these people instantly began fighting against each other... Is this really what humanity is all about. Even in such dire situation, people start behaving as little children... then again those people are hormone driven teenagers, so why not. :biggrin:

Lucky day: A cross between hunger games and lost summaries the series quite neatly actually. I got a bit of lost vibe as well which is not a bad thing, but i'm not sure I have stomache for all that teen drama.

Same! It's like a sci-fi 90210

hahah, this works as well. :lol:

Yes I tried the 100, watched some 5 or 6 episodes, couldn't continue, I despise teen angst drama.

Have been watching El Ministerio Del Tiempo (The Department of Time), Spanish TV series recommended by @joxer;. Rating of 8.3 at IMDB. Series summary from IMDB:

A warrior from the 16th Century, the first female university student from the 19th Century and a nurse from the 21st Century join a secret [Spanish] agency to prevent people to change the Spanish history by using time-traveling doors [located in the agency headquarters].

Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy | TV Series (2015– )​
The series gets a definite thumbs up from me.

Is a bit difficult to find at this point. Seasons 1 and 2 may be currently available on non-US Netflix. Otherwise have to look in various web site postings, and/or online web sites to find it at this point.

One reviewer at IMDB said, "The videos of all eight Season 1 episodes are available on the RTVE website [www.rtve.es], with captions (but only in Spanish) if you need them." I cannot read Spanish so I cannot verify this.

Netflix has now purchased all seasons of the series (incl. Season 3 in progress), and will apparently make them available in US sometime in the future after Season 3 is complete.

__

Yes I tried the 100, watched some 5 or 6 episodes, couldn't continue, I despise teen angst drama.

I did like the theme that they turned into the thing they despised - their parents or adults. A general revelation that they overreacted to difficult and complicated situations, and that the adults were were faced with dilemmas that they either handled better or made decisions no worse than some of the ones they made.

Other than that, the teen drama just didn't stop. So I quit watching.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/dark...-canceled-at-syfy-showrunner-cites-financials

Joseph Mallozzi said:
Mallozzi shared with fans some of the possible reasons behind the network's decision on his daily blog saying, "Working against us was the fact that we weren’t a SYFY original. We were an acquisition. For those not in the know, an original is a series that is developed by the network and, more importantly, owned by the network, allowing them to monetize the show through things like international sales, streaming, etc."

As for the decision to cancel, Mallozzi says, "One would assume it was financial. I’d heard that SYFY had invested in a lot of original programming for 2017-2018, and the recent announcement of their supernatural slate would seem to confirm as much."

This is the reason Person of Interest was cancelled in spite of excellent ratings. Since CBS didn't own it they were only getting 50% of the revenue generated. Its a trend in television in general

Mallozi's blog is giving updates on three potential buyers this week

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/17/september-17-2017-dark-matter-update/

As of yesterdays blog, he hasn't heard back from two of them yet

okay, I watched the Orville last night via FoxNow. Too many commercials, I will probably set the DVR to catch the series on a regular basis (now Thur). The show was okay but one element of the crew set up was horrendous. I can't quite tell yet where Mcfarlane falls on as far as does he hate Trek or love it. On the other hand he did produce the updated version of Cosmos, so there is definitely some sci-fi love there.

One irritant that I might not be able to get over is the set design seems too shiny, bright and new giving the overall show a look of fakeness. Way, way worse than Star Trek, TOS. And no, being forcefully shiny to be comedic aint working.

OTOH, there was one over the top bit where the Orville was leaving dry dock, and they had all these camera angles of the ship departing from port, From the right side, from the left side, from the top, from the bottom, from the front, from the rear, and just as the ship was about to leave there was one perfect shot from beneath the Orville, where the donut hull of the ship aligned perfectly with the moon. Police Squad genius in my book.

While the actors in the show are fine, they all seem to be a tad over the top and again it makes the show look fake. I did love how they had the guy from the Expanse in the show(played the doctor that ran the science outpost, plays the love interest to the UN executive in Expanse) and I swear it looked like he was wearing the same cloths from the expanse. Another crossover, the guy in the metal suit (the science officer) is also in the Expanse and he plays Fred Johnson, leader of the OPA who runs Tycho Station.

The season one episode had just enough to catch my interest, and I will continue to watch, however the show does fall in the category of a those shows I can easily drop if too many missteps occur.

Hey, gamer first . . .

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/dark...-canceled-at-syfy-showrunner-cites-financials

This is the reason Person of Interest was cancelled in spite of excellent ratings. Since CBS didn't own it they were only getting 50% of the revenue generated. Its a trend in television in general

Mallozi's blog is giving updates on three potential buyers this week

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/09/17/september-17-2017-dark-matter-update/

As of yesterdays blog, he hasn't heard back from two of them yet

Have strong hopes that the Dark Matter campaign is successful. If for no other reason to show that grass roots campaigns can change things with enough support -- and also for the reason that DM has been a good series with good actors.

Hoping for the best.

__

While the actors in the show are fine, they all seem to be a tad over the top and again it makes the show look fake. I did love how they had the guy from the Expanse in the show(played the doctor that ran the science outpost, plays the love interest to the UN executive in Expanse) and I swear it looked like he was wearing the same cloths from the expanse. Another crossover, the guy in the metal suit (the science officer) is also in the Expanse and he plays Fred Johnson, leader of the OPA who runs Tycho Station.
Another crossover is the doctor, she was DS9's Captain Sisko's girlfriend and appeared in quite a lot of episodes.

Have strong hopes that the Dark Matter campaign is successful. If for no other reason to show that grass roots campaigns can change things with enough support -- and also for the reason that DM has been a good series with good actors.

Hoping for the best.

__

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/tag/dark-matter/

Sep 20th blog shows one last potential suitor may have just enough to do a mini-series and Mallozzi would wrap up the series with it. But it will be a long while before he knows for sure.

In the meantime he says they are about to begin tearing down all the sets - but he is trying to save the Marauder set. IMO when that happens there's no way the series comes back.

I'm so hoping he succeeds. The series really deserves that. I hate when tv-networks pull the carpet under the showrunners legs like that. Dark Matter was quite popular and well liked, yet it is not enough… *Place lots of angry curse words here* :( Just like with the Longmire. This is exactly the same situation. Thankfully Longmire got a second life... Speaking of which, the last season of Longmire is about to air soon.

I really enjoyed The Tick on Amazon Prime. The creator of the comic book is a writer and producer on the show. If you enjoyed the 90's cartoon I would highly recommend it. Only six episodes out at 30 mins each. Watched all six in one night and I don't usually bing like that.

They will be releasing the next six episodes in the next few months I hear.

I really enjoyed The Tick on Amazon Prime. The creator of the comic book is a writer and producer on the show. If you enjoyed the 90's cartoon I would highly recommend it. Only six episodes out at 30 mins each. Watched all six in one night and I don't usually bing like that.

They will be releasing the next six episodes in the next few months I hear.

I also enjoyed the patrick warborton version after the cartoon was cancelled. the guy just kills it.

Everyone loved the series who watched it, especially the critics, but something happened - maybe Fox politics again - that kept it on the shelf too long and it was cancelled before it was even started.

I also enjoyed the patrick warborton version after the cartoon was cancelled. the guy just kills it.

Everyone loved the series who watched it, especially the critics, but something happened - maybe Fox politics again - that kept it on the shelf too long and it was cancelled before it was even started.

I agree Lucky, Fox messed that up. They kept switching the days it was on. I thought Warborton was hilarious as the Tick. I rewatched that series on You-Tube and it was great.

I agree Lucky, Fox messed that up. They kept switching the days it was on. I thought Warborton was hilarious as the Tick. I rewatched that series on You-Tube and it was great.

It was DOA by the time it showed on TV so they didn't care when they aired it as long as their aired it. The critics heaped praise on it everywhere they could in a longshot attempt to save it. I think they finished production about 2 years before they aired it.

Sort of thing happens to a lot of movies and a few tv shows. Sort of happened to Downward Dog this year. That show was awesome!

Yeah Narcos is really good and tight, not much time wasted on that show at all, it all means something. Season three is maybe the best so far, we've watched five episodes and looking forward to the rest.

Well after 3 episodes, The Orville is a huge disappointment for me. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. One minute it's trying to be comedy and the next it's totally serious. The problem is that it's not very good at either.

Well after 3 episodes, The Orville is a huge disappointment for me. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. One minute it's trying to be comedy and the next it's totally serious. The problem is that it's not very good at either.

Yeah, it's an odd beast. It's as if McFarlane pitched it as a comedy, because that's what he does, but what he really wanted to make was his own straight up Star Trek show.

Back
Top Bottom